Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had first experience of snow driving and sadly not too impressed. Only an inch or 2 and quite wet although some ice in patches, the Captur couldn't cope anywhere near as good as everything from old transit vans to little Citroen C1. A mix of traction control and abs going crazy the minute it started looking for grip it just ran out of ability to cope. Lightest touch on brakes and the abs was bouncing away. I had a queue behind me on a very slight uphill and had to abandon the car at the roadside, don't rate the traction set up at all. Similar issue with abs in slow moving downhill traffic,slightest touch and abs bashing away actually taking the car towards the kerb. By all means have a pop at my driving but I have driven in snow my fair share over the years in conditions worse than this. Other cars I had you could turn traction off to keep on the move. And the original tyres under 6k miles. Probably bus to work tomorrow
Edited by: monkey

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think it is extremely unfair to blame/criticise a car that is equipped for driving in "normal" weather conditions, when it fails to perform as well in more extreme conditions, without making relatively simple changes to alter its performance, such as changing to winter tyres. (I don't think any of us would consider hiking in flip flops or walking on an icy path in shoes with leather soles?).

I had my first experience in snow today too, in my 1.5 dci auto, and had no problems at all. I live in a small village in the hills of County Durham, (above 800 feet), and have a number of hills to negotiate on my drive to/from work, and for the last 10 years I have fitted winter tyres to both our cars, (currently Falken Eurowinter 449's on my Captur, and Continental T850's on my wife's car). Snow was pretty bad this afternoon/evening and I have a particularly steep hill to drive up to get up to my house, which is a usually a problem with any amount of snowfall, and on turning on to the hill today a 66 reg Honda Civic was sliding slowly down the hill backwards having obviously failed to get very far up! I backed onto the main road to let him/her get off the hill, turned on to the hill and had absolutely no problem getting up to my driveway - no wheel spin, no abs issues, no traction control problems. I have had these tyres on for about a month and have driven about 600 miles on them, including a very wet and cold trip to Stranraer, and they have been very impressive in all weathers so far.

I acknowledge that changing tyres twice a year has a cost, but each set of summer and winter tyres lasts twice as long, so for £34 per car twice a year we both get piece of mind and useable cars in most winter conditions.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tinker110 said:
I think it is extremely unfair to blame/criticise a car that is equipped for driving in "normal" weather conditions, when it fails to perform as well in more extreme conditions, without making relatively simple changes to alter its performance, such as changing to winter tyres. (I don't think any of us would consider hiking in flip flops or walking on an icy path in shoes with leather soles?).

I had my first experience in snow today too, in my 1.5 dci auto, and had no problems at all. I live in a small village in the hills of County Durham, (above 800 feet), and have a number of hills to negotiate on my drive to/from work, and for the last 10 years I have fitted winter tyres to both our cars, (currently Falken Eurowinter 449's on my Captur, and Continental T850's on my wife's car). Snow was pretty bad this afternoon/evening and I have a particularly steep hill to drive up to get up to my house, which is a usually a problem with any amount of snowfall, and on turning on to the hill today a 66 reg Honda Civic was sliding slowly down the hill backwards having obviously failed to get very far up! I backed onto the main road to let him/her get off the hill, turned on to the hill and had absolutely no problem getting up to my driveway - no wheel spin, no abs issues, no traction control problems. I have had these tyres on for about a month and have driven about 600 miles on them, including a very wet and cold trip to Stranraer, and they have been very impressive in all weathers so far.

I acknowledge that changing tyres twice a year has a cost, but each set of summer and winter tyres lasts twice as long, so for £34 per car twice a year we both get piece of mind and useable cars in most winter conditions.
To be fair every car I had in the past was simply equipped for "normal" weather conditions and they all performed better in far worse conditions than I experienced today, it certainly wasn't extreme. No doubt winter tyres improve things but my point is I wasn't impressed with the car in what was hardly hard going when everyone else seemed to be traveling along nicely and most certainly without winter tyres, many probably with less tread than mine too. Must be my driving then
Edited by: monkey

·
Registered
51 Posts
You make a fair point about other cars managing, and I'm sure your driving is as good, if not better, than mine. Maybe we'll just have to agree to differ in our first experiences of snow and the Captur, and see how things develop over the winter.Edited by: Tinker110

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "higher spec models", but we have used winter, (mud and snow), tyres for the last 10 years on the various cars we have owned, including two Clios, a Peugeot 407 and an Insignia 2.0 diesel (130bhp), as well as my Captur. In every case the difference in cold weather is noticeable, (remember that "mud and snow tyres" are proven to perform better than summer tyres at temperatures below 7 degrees celsius, not just in mud and snow.

We have always used "better known" brands of winter tyres, such as Falken, (Japan), Nokian, (Finland), Yokohama, (Japan), and Continental, (France/Germany), as cheaper tyres don't seem to perform as well, either summer or winter - see http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk for more information.

I have heard there is a saying in Scandinavia, "winter tyres first, four wheel drive second", and last winter one of my best friends tried to drive up the hill to my house, (see post above regarding the hill), in his 4wd Ford Kuga on Michelin summer tyres and got stuck half way up, whilst my 2wd Insignia on Nokian 18inch winter tyres cruised past him with no issues at all.

Our experiences of driving on winter tyres has been nothing but positive, although they are not infallible, and as this is my first winter ever with an automatic, (and although first experiences of driving in snow have been fine), I will report back as the winter progresses.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a hard time believing that an old Transit should be better on snow - if the old Transiit had RWD, I've been there with an old Nissan Urvan years ago. Even with snow tyres of then (just very coarse rubber blocks w/o today's ripple cuts), it took chains to get the rear to stay in track - and traction !

Las winter we did a trip of 1.100 km from Copenhagen to Åre and back - on winter tyres.
Not much snow but plenty of white ice and icy patches on half of the stretch - no problems at all - on winter tyres.
Have been to Sweeden the latest 15 years skiing - for 9 years with 4WD - it's not the 4WD that does the difference - it's the tyres !
Forget "mud & snow" - it has to be tyres designet for snow, bearing the snow crystals icon.
This is by the way law in Sweeden - and Germany. Allthough the Germans (if not also the Sweeds) clogs the law text with frases like "snow tyres are mandatory when conditions demand it". That makes some believe that if the drive into Germany in winter on summer tyrres and in good weather - then all is legal. But Germany is not that small, so you can easily run into winter conditions on you way - and then you are stuck till the snow is gone ! If you are caught - you will be heavily fined. And how do you get caught ? Well - just get stuck in the snow on public road and block traffic - and you are cought ;o)
If you create an accident......good luck !

On expense for extra tyres etc - look at the bright side: you will not get stuck and have to take the bus - you will not ditch your car with all the expenses that gives for repairs and possible extra insurance costs - you do not wear on you summer tyres during winter nor the other way around.
And you will not put your life, your familys lives or other lives on stake on winter roads.

Wonder why it's only madatory by law to use winter tyres in a very few countries in EU ?
Even here in Denmark we have enough snow to create havoc in traffic - I, for one, HATE beeing held up in traffic by all the numnuts, that drives out in the snow on worn-put summer tires - and then blocks traffic,

Btw - the original tires on our Captur's are made for speed and low consumption - just look at the tread pattern: build for speed and to drain water - not much to hold on to snow.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Another fan of winter tyres here. Having lived on the Pennines all my life and currently living near the top of a steep road I have found them invaluable, also good on ice. I have tried various brands over the years and cannot say that any set were vastly different from another. I used to put them on in early December unless we got an early snowfall or cold snap. They don't last as long as summer tyres due to the softer compound but are well worth the money in my opinion. Saying that I won't be putting them on this year due to retirement. If its snowing I just go back to bed.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well i drove my own black hackney taxi for over 20 years,never used winter tyres.
I have driven through some bad winters & i never got stuck anywhere,but i always carried a small bag of sand & a shovel in the boot just in case

·
Registered
37 Posts
Tinker110 said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "higher spec models"

I'm not sure about UK specs, but in Poland are 3(4) specs (main technical specs only, there are of course plenty of "colour and design" options ):

0) Zen - (sub)basic, steel 16", A/C & radio available only as optional packet; only 90 HP petrol/diesel MT

1) Life (Zen+) - manual A/C (automatic A/C as optional packet), [email protected] radio (Media Nav EvolutionorR-LinkEvolutionas optional packet ), alloy 16" rims, main headlights Full LED "Pure Vision" available only as optional packet; 90 HP petrol/diesel MT; 120 HP petrol MT/AT; 90 HP diesel AT; 110 HP diesel MT

2) Intens (Life+) -automatic A/C;Media Nav Evolution (R-Link Evolution as optional packet), alloy 17" rims,main headlights Full LED "Pure Vision",(front/rear park sensor & reverse camera in option);90 HP petrol/diesel MT; 120 HP petrol MT/AT; 90 HP diesel AT; 110 HP diesel MT

3) Xmod (Intens+) -automatic A/C;R-Link Evolution, Extended Grip function together with alloy 17" rims and all-season Mud&Snow tires only,main headlights Full LED "Pure Vision",(front/rear park sensor & reverse camera in option);90 HP petrol MT; 120 HP petrol MT/AT; 110 HP diesel MT

4 - top version - Initiale Paris, everything what possible (leather upholstery, easy park system, etc) ( minusExtended Grip function

All version except Xmod are fitted with standard (summer) tires.
Xmod is available only withall-season Mud&Snow tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 15 plate signature fitted with the tyres and Extended Grip function. Used it for the first time in early December when the snow hit South Wales. Pulled out of our estate with no problem when other cars were not making it out.
Ironically ordered a new signature s the week before for delivery on March 1st which doesn't have that function.
On another point; why does the signature s only have four colour choices and only the dci110 engine?

·
Registered
420 Posts
What brand of all weather tyres are best for the Captur?
Currenty have Michelin Primacy Was looking at Cross Climate 17inch but £150 for a Tyre too dear i,m afraid.
Anyone tried other brand of all weather tyress for the Captur what do they recommend?
cheers

·
Registered
51 Posts
I tend to change from summer to winter because of where I live, but my father in law, who works in the tyre industry, reckons that the VREDESTEIN QUATRAC 5 is a decent "mid-range all weather tyre, and I know a couple of people locally who have bought these on his recommendation, and are quite happy with them, although they are not driving Capturs. Looks like they cost between £90 and £95 per corner online for 205/55/17.

·
Registered
123 Posts
On "All Wheater" tyres: remeber that you CANNOT go to Sweeden, Norway or Germany during winter on tyres like that !Nor will "M&S" tyres cut it; for those 3 counries, only dedicated winther tyres branded weith a snow flake symbol are allowed.
Other european countries may have similar rules but I haven't checked them all - oh yes, just remembered; we are going to the Chech Republic this winter, skiing, and they have same rules.
German rules are a little tricky, as they say that you only need winter tyres "when conditions demand it". But if you block traffic due to being caught in snow on summer tyres - you are fined !
And if you cause an accident.....practically, you cannot risk going to Germany during winter without correct snow tyres !
Norway (AFAIR) and Sweeden (I'm sure of) is simpler: during winter months, you have to use winter tyres.

And after going north for 15 years during winter - believe me; winter tyres does an amazing difference - you would not revert to summer tyres on snow and ice once you have felt the difference.
For 9 years, we had a 4x4; same story, and as it was a Suzuki Jimny with very short wheel base, winter tyres did an even larger difference as the short wheel base, snow and summer tyres mix seemed to make the rear end believe it was supposed to overtake the front if you should dare take a fast corner. Winter tyres + 4x4: just gun it whenever you got in the playfull mood ;o)

·
Registered
37 Posts
AcHarrison said:
Kumho are the brand Renault fit to the capture and are on mine. Seem to work ok in all weathers
I thought so until yesterday.
In Poland with XMOD (Signature trim in UK?) are Kumho Solus KH25 205/55/17 all-season. They are marked with "snowflake" sign, but ... it is not "three-peak mountain snowflake" as approved in US or EU for winter tires marking.
Moreover - Kumho international websitehttp://www.kumhotire.com/eng/tires/SedanTypeView01.asp?seq=38&p=2&cate2=1 says that is all-season tire. But at spanish Kumho website (Capturs are made in Spain)https://www.kumhotyre.es/neumaticos/solus-kh25/ says that that is no M+S "three-peak mountain snowflake" tire.

So - it's probably quite good all-weather tire with some improvements for warm winter with no snow, as used to be last few years in Poland, but for sure it's not a winter tire.
Let's see if it's enough for the winter, so far so good - but only one day with snow, rather more slush than snow...

·
Registered
37 Posts
And it happened today - about 3-4 inches of snow fall.Not so satisfied with overall feeling of the car in snow, every start with traction control sign flashing, very unstable on curves and ABS going crazy with braking.
Made few comparative braking tests on my village snowy road.
Same road, same time, same driver, both cars nearly the same total weight.
Same speed - 50 km/h (~30 mhp).

Car no 1 - Captur fitted with Kumho so-called "all-season" tires.
Average breaking distance 54 (fifty four) meters.

Car no 2 - Suzuki SX4 fitted with Uniroyal MS Plus 77 real winter tires.
Seemed to be much better, but I didn't believed in measurements, so repeated 3 times.
Average breaking distance 24 meters.Yes - twenty four meters.

Tomorrow buying a new winter tire set for Captur.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Jacek said:
Tomorrow buying a new winter tire set for Captur.
And it's made ...
Instead of so called "all-season" Kumho's summer tires, Captur has got a brand new Nokian WR D4 winter tire set 205/60/16 and 6,5Jx16 Dezent TX alloys.
The difference is dramatic and simply indescribable

·
Registered
139 Posts
So it does sound like the all season tyres are more of a compromise.As a general rule, all-season tyres rank lower than good summer tyres in warmer months and lower than good winter tyres in the colder months.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts