Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't really know if this is a fault or problem but it is technical question so I am posting it here. I have a question regarding driving in ECO mode. In manual i read that while driving in ECO mode you should have displayed information about gear changing suggestion and three colors displaying on your dashboard display in lower center of display, just under open door sign. Those colors should be green yellow and orange representing eco drive (green), not so eco drive (yellow) and orange being not eco drive at all. It also said in my manual that after turning engine off I should get score from 1-100 regarding eco drive. None if this i showing up at my car except gear change suggestions and eco sign when I turn it on. I have media nav.

Thanx for all the answers.

Best Regards

Oz

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hey Bigoz. Not sure about the colour indication but the eco summary is on the r-link only. And the colour indicator should be right in front of you below the speedo. Not sure if its standard on all the models. Edited by: Cj86

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CJ86 thanx for the reply. If colors are not standard on my Dynamique with full equipment without r link then when is it a standard. any help from others?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Cj86 is correct. That three colour bar is only for vehicles fitted with R-Link.

Medianav vehicles do not have access to the metrics that are used for this indicator.

Edited by: crossbow

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So can anyone tell me the final conclusion, to drive in eco mode or not?

Only city driving for me. I didnt notice that my car uses that less fuel in eco mode but i did notice that it is a bit slower...

what do you guys think?

·
Registered
306 Posts
In my opinion it's a waste of time BigOz, just a gimmick I think, it makes the car incredibly sluggish and for what? 1-2 mpg more at around 50 mpg? I'd much rather have the extra power!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Eco mode is best used when cruising with the cruise control on............if its used around town in stop start conditions it can be counter productive as the driver will over compensate with the accelerator to make up for the lack of power in certain conditions hence using more fuel!

As for setting it its simple push of the button on centre console near handbrake.....a daft position if you ask me........along with cruise control switch you can be distracted to switch it on whilst driving.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
BigOz, it seems that on the smaller engine models it can be a hindrance at times...but on the 120 it's perfect and DOES save fuel around town

·
Registered
924 Posts
TC Eddy said:
I would think its more beneficial on an auto.......they are thirsty beasts anyway
To help TC Eddy and anyone thinking of getting an auto Captur,and thinking that the auto is thirsty. This is not the case really. The Captur uses a twin dry clutch system and a split gearbox. This enables smooth gear changes without the losses that were associated with more traditional auto gearboxes. The traditionalauto gearbox has a device called a torque converter instead of a clutch. This imposed energy losses, and hence consumed more fuel. The dry clutch system on the Captur removes those losses, and you will find the consumption is equivalent to a manual setup with similar gear ratios.

Edited by: crossbow

·
Registered
824 Posts
Ermm I wasn't being serious........did you not see the
and the
it was tongue in cheek!!

Having come from a V6 petrol automatic to a Captur I know how effortless an automatic is!! I just couldnt stand the £55 a week petrol bill anymore and the thought of major mechanicals going wrong.........the Captur saves me £40 a week in fuel costs........Im well happy!! ECO button or not!!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Thanks for the update TC Eddy. What a laugh!.
I think Ythsie must have two ECO buttons, judging by how little petrolhis Captur consumes.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
No....I have something called a 'woman' surprisingly enough...and I am surprised, because she's not that gentle driving it!! But I did post you our results recently ...so unless the computer lies, we're getting very good results now that the car is five months old and run in...
Very pleasantly surprised...and I knew I was being wound up ..yet again TC!! ...but I have a few 'sensible' people backing me up...Am I right Julian and Crossbow??

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm with you all
the way Ythsie, auto, petrol and all, no question, although TBH I'm not sure
yet about my own 120, still barely 500 miles, purely city. Planning my first
little trip in the sticks in March, we'll see.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Nearly drove the whole first month I had the car with the Eco button on. Then turned it off and have never switched it back on. All down to personal choice I'm afraid.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I was like that with the Stop Start at first I kept turning it off as I didn't like the idea of stalling
now I quite look forward to hearing it cut out
Im used to it now!!.........and it saves money....so they say!!!........ECO saves money too..........so they say!!!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
We were getting 8.3 to 8.7 / 100 in town running initially...but if it's very busy we now get around 7.6 to 7.9 / 100 and the figure goes down considerably on longer routes.. It's certainly economical, and the auto box is so slick, that I doubt you would better the figures if it was a manual box..
Town running always in ECO and AC on...and perfectly adequate for decent pull away at lights, junctions and roundabouts.. but then 'boys' we chose the right engine for the car....no matter what anyone else says...
The 120 unit is great...smooth and refined...and on the open road in ECO off mode loves to perform!!

Edited by: Ythsie

·
Registered
28 Posts
I completely agree with you guys! Driven around the city in eco its extremely quiet and refined, but even at motorway speeds, eco off - push the pedal past the kickdown point and it's just unbelievable how this little engine (is it really a 1.2?!) performs. Before I collected the car I was constantly conflicted - maybe I could have ordered the diesel for the same price, it would certainly burn less fuel...but now, after 2 weeks with the car and about 4000 km I know that I have made the right choice :)

1 - 20 of 68 Posts