Renault Captur Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having problems with my captur 1.2 tce blowing a fuse. It brings up the STOP light and spanner light and displays the message “Engine Failure Hazard”.
Driving ok then fault comes on, engine running normally. Traced to 15 amp fuse blown next to blue box (ECU?) under bonnet. Brings up 15 or so faults on local garage diagnostic machine. All clear when fuse replaced. But keeps blowing fuse at intermittent times. On replacing the fuse the last time the cooling fan cut in, so at least I know one thing that it feeds!
any help appreciated.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I have no real answer to your problems sorry, is the charging system at fault? Possible regulator problems causing a surge?

As you may be aware battery problems cause most major problems on the Captur.

I would start checking all the earth points inc, alternator , battery , ecu etc.

A bad earth connection because the car has been stood in lockdown

Without an auto electrician looking at the car it’s guess work

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no real answer to your problems sorry, is the charging system at fault? Possible regulator problems causing a surge?

As you may be aware battery problems cause most major problems on the Captur.

I would start checking all the earth points inc, alternator , battery , ecu etc.

A bad earth connection because the car has been stood in lockdown

Without an auto electrician looking at the car it’s guess work
I knew about poor battery causing problems and it did need a new one so that was the first thing I did. No difference. The car has been run during lockdown, not far just shopping so not sure if it’s a bad earth connection. Booked in with Renault for further diagnostic work. Local garage checked earth points and what wiring they could get to.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
“UPDATE”. Car been checked by Renault and although the fault wasn’t present when they did a test drive, all the diagnostic checks pointed to the “ probable “ fault being an “intermittent short“ on a “suspect “ sensor. The suspect sensor was diagnosed with checking old faults on diagnostic and deemed to be an oxygen sensor which was changed. Car run ok for 100 miles no repeat of fault so far....watch this space.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this issue on my renault, took it to a garage, turns out I had absolutely zero coolant due to a coolant leak. Most likely a coolant problem if the car still drives fine with the warning message. Very dangerous couldve ruined the whole engine.

·
Registered
392 Posts
“UPDATE”. Car been checked by Renault and although the fault wasn’t present when they did a test drive, all the diagnostic checks pointed to the “ probable “ fault being an “intermittent short“ on a “suspect “ sensor. The suspect sensor was diagnosed with checking old faults on diagnostic and deemed to be an oxygen sensor which was changed. Car run ok for 100 miles no repeat of fault so far....watch this space.
Hi thanks for the update

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Back to the problem….. fuse blew again yesterday! Same indications “engine failure hazard” car running fine. no problem since O2 probe changed in June 2020. Back to diagnostics, can you run with the suspect probe disconnected?

·
Registered
820 Posts
O2 sensor is part of the emission control system and feeds back to engine management. If disconnected it will likely give other warnings related to pollution control, and may only operate in limp or other fail safe mode. There is a 15A fuse that relates to "Engine Management System". The fuse for the fan is rated much higher. Take a look here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
O2 sensor is part of the emission control system and feeds back to engine management. If disconnected it will likely give other warnings related to pollution control, and may only operate in limp or other fail safe mode. There is a 15A fuse that relates to "Engine Management System". The fuse for the fan is rated much higher. Take a look here.
Thanks for the excellent link. The fuse that blows is Ef23 which is Engine Management system. I now can see the fuse for the cooling fan. When the fuse blows, the car runs ok, not in limp mode. But it’s booked in for diagnostic check on Monday, so I’ll see what they find. Puzzling!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Is there any evidence of water damage to the under bonnet fuse box or ECU close by. That fuse suggests a serious short circuit and the list of diagnostic codes all point to the engine management system.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, the fuse box and area all around are fine and dry, and I assume if it’s a serious short it would be there all the time. But this is so unpredictable and when the fuse blows nothing obvious happens. (Apart from the red stop and spanner lights coming on).

·
Registered
820 Posts
The only other thing I can suggest is that the wiring to one of the components in the code list (fan, oxygen sensor for example) is chafing and periodically earthing itself. Needs a good look around.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree, and I’ve tried checking everything visible but again nothing obvious. As I’m a 70yr old non-mechanic it’s difficult 😂 to get to the awkward places. It’s now doing 1fuse/mile. Hopefully something will show itself soon. And I hope before it gets too expensive.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I know how you feel. I'm in the same boat. It's impossible to even see anything, let alone get your hands down there. Not like the cars of our youth. If you can find a friendly mechanic with a hoist you might see a bit more of the possible bad wiring from underneath with a torch. Good luck

1 - 20 of 26 Posts