Renault Captur Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, hows the weather? Nice here in Oz, with the exception of my 2015 Capture 1.2 engine needs replacement. Driven by a grandfather (me) from new, always serviced on or before time, country driving. I was warned about the longevity of small turbo direct injection high kw but very efficient engines. Any one else experiencing such short engine life? Maybe I just got a Friday afternoon build dud. Toyota Rav 4 2015 with 330,000k's still going strong in my family, it was my parents car. My quandary, fix and sell, or fix and keep? Love the car, but I hate unreliability.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello, and thanks. Car travelling along expressway at 110k's hot weather (37deg C) and Operating Fault "Check ESC" and warning light SPANNER and ESP indicating a problem with traction control appeared, the engine was placed in limp mode. Operates roughly on three cylinders. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum, it,s going to be down to costings, and resale value.
All very expensive, transporting the car back to the city for engine exchange (all in GBP) 425, labour and exchange engine 2,235 to 2,600, Private sale 7,000 trade in at 5,000. What I would like to know is is this common? If so I will sell and get something reliable or maybe a once off?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Sounds to me like it is repairable. It's certainly not engine failure, and it is all too frequent with modern car electronics. Can you try it with a fully charged and newer battery? Do you have anyone nearby who can read the fault codes? It could be as simple as a bad connection or sensor (wheel speed sensors control ESP/ESC).

·
Super Moderator
3,013 Posts
Definitely get the fault codes read. ESC may be cutting the spark to one or more cylinders to cut the power, there may be nothing wrong with the engine, just an el;ectronics or sensor issue.

Have you had the spark plugs taken out? Do they all look the same? Any signs of oiling? Is the car using oil?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey thanks for the reply. Electronics or sensor or old battery was my first guess upon reading this fine website. Battery is only number two since new so due for replacement (batteries tend to last a long time in Oz due to moderate weather conditions where I live). I said this to the Dealer. Below is the result of dealers investigation;

"Low battery voltage; low compression in cylinder #2 Connected scan tool and found DTC 928114 Battery Voltage 12V indicating low battery charge state. Charge vehicle overnight; codes cleared. Cylinder #2 misfire detected. Checked spark plugs and found fouled tips, recommend replacement. Supplied and fitted set of spark plugs; misfire still present. Carried out compression test and found cylinder #2 compression 0psi and others over 100psi. Inserted boroscope and found oil on the sleeve of cylinder #2 which indicates failure of piston ring leading to low compression. Internal engine damage suspected; engine would need to be stripped to confirm."

Thoughts?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Oh dear, it does sound serious. Zero compression in one cylinder is not good. It will need an engine rebuild at least. Not much opportunity for rebuilds in some parts of the world where many garages want to replace the engine.

·
Super Moderator
3,013 Posts
Unfortunately zero compression in one cylinder is very bad and does mean an engine strip-down and rebuild - or an exchange engine. Looks like you have been unlucky.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts