Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of questions regarding engine oil for the diesel 1.5 . Firstly, I had to top up the oil level with over half a litre.
After just 2,800 miles / 2 months do you think this is about right or a lot of oil ?

The spare litre of oil is a 5w - 30. Very nearly put in some 5w - 40 that I had over from my Renault Megan. Would this have been a disaster ?

The handbook (p4.6) with regard to the correct engine oil says "refer to the maintenance service booklet for your vehicle" - where on earth is this. The handbook combines with the service schedule /
and I cannot find any info. about the correct oil anywhere.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some websites say it should be 5w - 30, others 5w - 40. I'm getting confused. It's not in the handbook anywhere.
I suppose if it comes with a spare litre of 5w - 30 then it's probably right one. Have read however, that some cars came without the spare litre so how do they know what to top up with?

·
Registered
863 Posts
that seems a lot of oil to put in for a new car.my focus used to go from service to service without a top up.?????

·
Registered
116 Posts
Awq - I would say that wasn't right - report to your dealer for investigation. I know diesels do use more oil than petrol models, but seems unusual, unless there wasn't enough put in at manufacture?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Don't panic it's not unusual for a new car to use a dollop of oil when running in.

·
Registered
95 Posts
droven 120K in my Citroen C3Picasso 110HP turbo diesel .......have never ever been topping it up between the services - one time a year - and its 5 years old now .....so sounds a little unusual to me!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Megan 1.5 diesel (same engine as Captur) always used to have the odd top up, but that was a few years old - a 2010 model.
That car used the 5w - 40 oil. Does anybody know why the oil for the Captur is 5w - 30 ( hope the top up bottle is right because I have used it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi awq
I would get it checked urgently. I have the 1.5DCi and have now done 15,000 since September with no top up required at all ? 1st Service due at 18,000

·
Registered
863 Posts
i have just checked mine and it is at the top of dipstick.had the car since feb.so i would definitely get it checked.imo

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Should have checked it when I first got it. Maybe it was not full. No signs of leakage underneath.

·
Super Moderator
2,757 Posts
It's not unusual for a new engine to need some oil; always best to keep an eye on the dipstick for the first few months by checking at least oncea week.5W30 or 5W40 should not be a problem if you mix them.

What you MUST do though is use the SAME TYPE of oil: either synthetic or part-synthetic. Don't mix fully synthetic with part-synthetic or non-synthetic.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't know why they changed from 5w - 40 to 5w - 30. Both Megan and Capture have the same 1.5 dci engines.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Fully synthetic, high performance, 5W-40 oil.
just looked it up for the 1.5 diesel

·
Registered
741 Posts
Your oil useage isn't particularly excessive so I wouldn't worry about it.
As for what grade/type of oil; the salesman would have given you an A4 folder titled "Handover Documents" in there will be info on the warranty and also a seperate sheet of paper detailing your service intervals and at the bottom of that sheet will be oil onfo.

·
Registered
209 Posts
IvorETower said:
It's not unusual for a new engine to need some oil; always best to keep an eye on the dipstick for the first few months by checking at least once a week.5W30 or 5W40 should not be a problem if you mix them.

What you MUST do though is use the SAME TYPE of oil: either synthetic or part-synthetic. Don't mix fully synthetic with part-synthetic or non-synthetic.
Absolutely correct about the first part of the statement but from the perspective of mixing synthetic and mineral oils that's not strictly speaking true. It's something you should try not to do but your engine shouldn't come to any harm if you have to top up with a different type of oil.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Perusal said:
IvorETower said:
It's not unusual for a new engine to need some oil; always best to keep an eye on the dipstick for the first few months by checking at least oncea week.5W30 or 5W40 should not be a problem if you mix them.

Absolutely correct about the first part of the statement but from the perspective of mixing synthetic and mineral oils that's not strictly speaking true. It's something you should try not to do but your engine shouldn't come to any harm if you have to top up with a different type of oil.

Any oil is better than no oil

·
Registered
34 Posts
When I picked up my captur the dealer pointed out that there was a bottle of oil in the boot. He said that the diesel models use a lot of oil during the running in period. After it has been run in the oil consumption should return to normal and be able to go between services without topping up. I think the petrol models don't use as much oil during the running in period, hence some people haven't needed to top up.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Looks if i might have to lift the bonnet and look now!!!! Had diesels all my life and never topped up even my old Jeep with over 120k.

Got me worried had her over 3 months and comming up to 6k never looked just filled up my washer bottle oops

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had my captur back in April within 2 days i noticed that the washer bottle was empty and then checked the oil it was below the full mark so i topped both up and since April I have covered over 5,000 miles and since I topped the oil up it has not used a drop of oil so it may have not had enough oil and water when I had the car

·
Registered
129 Posts
Funnily enough, I had not read this thread, before this morning, but yesterday decided to check the oil level after 4,500 miles - hmmm! where is the dipstick???

Having searched around for 5 minutes decided to have a look in the oil filler out of curiosity - hey! a built in dipstick, having never owned a Renault before, do not know if this is usual, but nifty.

Dealer gave me some oil, which I did not need to use, so will check this evening what type it is, but cannot imagine it is incorrect, as they would be leaving themselves open to £1,000's of pounds worth of claims had it been incorrect type, and it caused any damage!

Must admit my old Nissan Primera, (Renault diesel engine) never needed topping between services, so I cannot see any reason to think this one should need it. It also depends on how hard you drive them.

Still think the dipstick on the end of the filler cap is a great idea.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts