Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all .....my dads 14 reg captur steering lock gave in the ghost ! Only yesterday ......this advice is for anyone with the similar problems , as I am a car mechanic I removed the lock ! ...its accessible, but youd want to know what your doing , the lock has a torx headed bolt holding in the electric lock .....unfortunately it has a internal shoulder that will not allow you to remove it as and anti theft deterrent and is a left hand thread !!!!.....this bolt is on top of the steering colume in front of the clocks ....you dont need to take the steering wheel off....however Do Not Forget To Disconect the Battery first ! .....then remove the panel above your knees .....and the steering shroud......the lock is just under the stalk for the radio volume on the right side ............ disconnect the electric block connection and you will have to open the bolt on top ( left hand thread ) untill it shears /breaks .....on the bottom you will need to use a a small grinder and a small worn thin stainless disc and cut the bottom of the thread off .....its awkward, and be sure not to cut anything else while your doing so !! ......then centre punch the remaining of the thread and drill Into the last of what is left to free up the lock .......it will still feel tight as it sits in a square hoseing so you will need a big brute of a screw driver and a hammer to fish it out ......just be a bit patient and it will come .........now all I have to do is wait for the " steering emulator " I ordered off e bay to arrive in the post .....this will do the thinking for the old lock and immobiliser once connected .....I hope this helps you all .....the only other alternative is a complete new colume .....at hundreds of pounds / euro

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello again everyone .....well the part arrived , fitted it and no issues at all ....the car sprung to life

1 - 3 of 3 Posts