Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently parked down a slight hill , left the car n first gear and also on the hanbreak. when i went back i couldn't release the shift leaver , the gear leaver was stuck on first gear .and the car would not move either.also tried releasing the clutch slowly but the engine turned off and did not move at all ,i called the tow truck and as he was starting to lift the car the gear leaver released it self and all came back to normal . anyone know what might have happened pls?
Edited by: Francisf

·
Registered
924 Posts
double- declutching can often help here, or see if it will rock out using the self-starter.

·
Super Moderator
2,757 Posts
What may have happened is that as the parking brake cooled, it lost a little bit of tension and the car moved downhill ever so slightly. This would be enough to put pressure on the meshed gears, making it hard or impossible to move the gear lever. However it should still have been possible to depress the clutch pedal and then move the gearstick normally. Not sure why it had to wait until the tow truck lifted the front wheels off the ground to release the strain on the drivetrain. Maybe if there is a next time, you could try rocking the car back and forwards (with the handbrake still applied, or someone in the driver's seat ready to apply the footbrake !)

·
Registered
924 Posts
Rocking back and forward sounds a good idea. I used to do that when the self-starter on one of my old cars got stuck on.
Spent many a happy(?) time rocking the car to unstick the starter (honest, that's my excuse and I sticking to it) until I bought a replacement starter unit.

·
Super Moderator
2,757 Posts
crossbow said:
Spent many a happy(?) time rocking the car to unstick the starter (honest, that's my excuse and I sticking to it)
Ah yes, been there, done that !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts