Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seriously feel my Captur needs more power!

I did a journey at the week end on motorways and dual carriageways and was in bit of a rush, at this point I must admit to being a bit of a speed junkie but for the first time I really thought it was gutless, especially accelerating away from roundabouts and on sliproads. Its fine pottering around town at normal speeds but if you want to push on there's really nothing there...

I'm starting to think I should have waited for the 120 petrol but as that's too late I think I'll be contacting DTI tuning soon....

·
Registered
72 Posts
The information I have from inside Renault (from somebody who knows) is there are no plans for a 120 manual but the next development is a 110bhp 1.5dCi 6-speed manual which will be released in autumn 2014.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Frank, that will be no speed king either.
Frosty, you surely knew it wouldn't have nippiness!! Even the 120 is no speed merchant, but overall, it's a far better balanced car for short and long runs!
It's a town run around..but would drive me nuts when power is needed. Even the 120 in eco mode can be frustrating...but it was never designed for speed or off road needs. Saying that, it has coped well in the snow...apart from carrying half of it on the plastic pannels below the doors.
The only plus for the new diesel would be to chip it!
Skoda Yeti 2.0 diesel, for example is a brilliant engine to chip. I have a friend who has one...and it's amazing what you can get from a diesel in that respect..
And before Tyrfelin starts saying...I wouldn't recommend it on the current 1.5!!

Edited by: Ythsie

·
Registered
236 Posts
90 DCI and 110 DCI are basically the same engine, i.e. the Renault K9K, incidentally the K9K 110 is powering the Juke and more recently the Merc A180 and the K9K 90 is powering the Merc A160 .I'd say there's more margin left for chipping on the 90 than the 110.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Totally disagree about underpowered dci. We have a very hilly environment here and it's got plenty of poke! !!! Honest!!!!!Edited by: Tyrfelin

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would agree. My last two diesel cars were 130 and 115 BHP respectively. I was prepared for a lower performance from my 90 BHP Dci.
I have now done 1500 miles including one 400 mile round motorway trip.
At no time have I felt a lack of power. I have so far enjoyed every drive in the Captur. And 58MPG average so far!!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You mean dieselheads Tyrfelin

I think it's all a matter of opinion as to the lack of power and how you drive it though, my 8 year old Caddy van (104 bhp & 126000 miles) is quicker than my Captur so I would say its underpowered. Also anybody getting high 50's and 60 plus mpg is a driving it very slowly. I like to put my foot down and never get over 50 and before anybody says its smoothness etc that counts stop kidding yourselves it's because you drive slowly and treat the throttle like an unexploded bomb...

Just going for my hard hat

·
Registered
45 Posts
That put a smile on my face Frosty. I am an ex rep and my wife and daughter say I still drive like one!!The secret of good MPG in a diesel car. DONT TRY DRIVING IT LIKE A PETROL ONE,Keep the revs low and use the superior torque of the diesel to move up those gears earlier. No need to hang about. After all at 2500 RPM in 5th gear the Captur will be nudging 80 MPH!! And still doing over 50mpg!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Frosty said:
You mean dieselheads Tyrfelin

I think it's all a matter of opinion as to the lack of power and how you drive it though, my 8 year old Caddy van (104 bhp & 126000 miles) is quicker than my Captur so I would say its underpowered. Also anybody getting high 50's and 60 plus mpg is a driving it very slowly. I like to put my foot down and never get over 50 and before anybody says its smoothness etc that counts stop kidding yourselves it's because you drive slowly and treat the throttle like an unexploded bomb...

Just going for my hard hat
Agreed generally - I'm always hugely sceptical of people's economy claims on motoring forums - I'm sure some do get decent economy, like the Volvo C30 1.6 Drive I saw welded to the back of a wagon on the motorway doing 55mph, but for the rest of the world this is a pipe dream; I'm not the most economical driver but neither do I lack mechanical sympathy but my A2 gets 53mpg as a rule - loads of people claim mid 60's, no chance unless you drive like a nun.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts