Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well finally got to the bottom of brake fluid loss it turned out to be the rubber seal inside the fluid reservoir cap which was distorted so when on a hill (pointing down hill) the fluid seeped out but dried because of the heat off the engine.
As anyone else had this Problem and where can I get a new seal as MR Renault does not sell them crying:

Thanks in anticipation
Mick

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found this on the internet

I purchased a new Renault Captur on 1st July this year. An under bonnet check at the end of August revealed the brake fluid reservoir to be half full and brake fluid dripping from the front edge of the reservoir. The fluid was at the max mark when I collected the car. The car is parked in my driveway facing down a twenty degree slope. The Renault dealership checked and cleaned the cap seal and the reservoir mating surface, topped up the fluid and I agreed to monitor the level.
One week later the leak returned, and Renault replaced the reservoir and cap. A week later, brake fluid is leaking past the cap yet again. The car is booked in for inspection, but the Service desk admits they are baffled as the problem has never occurred before.
None of my previous cars have experienced a problem such as this and I would be grateful for your advice ref rejecting the vehicle and asking for a refund of the full purchase price.
Asked on 17 September 2015

Must be MORE

·
Registered
51 Posts
Brake Fluid Loss on 66 reg Captur 1.5 dci auto

I have exactly the same problem with my 66 reg 1.5 dci automatic. My driveway is also “downhill”, as is my allocated parking bay at work, where we have to park “nose in” for some reason.

The problem was discovered because the brake fluid seeping out was dripping onto the drive belt,making it squeal when cold. Changing the brake fluid reservoir cap made no difference, so it’s going into the dealer next week for replacement of the entire reservoir along with the drive belt and tensioner.

No problem at all with the dealership, in fact they told me this was all arranged under warranty, when I went to pick up the car yesterday. I’ll post an update when the job is done.

They also told me they will be posting a “notification” with Renault to alert them to this problem, and the possibility of it occurring on other Capturs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update to brake reservoir

Well took Thinker110 advice and booked in with the dealers, to my shocksurprise: they said it was a known issue and would be replaced under warranty.

Happy capture owner.

Mickwink:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi,

It’s now been eight weeks since my repair, (sorry about the delayed feedback), and so far so good. No squealing from the new drive belt and no loss of brake fluid or any signs of leakage, so here’s hoping the problem is sorted.

Can I advise anyone else who has this issue, and is covered by the Renault warranty, to insist on both the drive belt and tensioner being changed at the same time as the brake fluid reservoir. My dealership did this, saying the brake fluid would cause issues for both of these parts sooner rather than later, as the bottom of the brake fluid reservoir cap sits directly above the drive belt, so the belt, and tensioner, are both likely to have been contaminated by brake fluid, even if you cannot see it - see my earlier post regarding this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Tinker

There is no danger on the 0.9Tce as it's only a small engine with loads of room under the bonnet.

Mick.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Brake fluid loss, Hi all, Ive read all of the above with interest thanks,
As I have have found the exact same fault, after investigating a patch of brake fluid under the car, screaming belt noise, and having to top up the brake fluid between servicing.
I have a 16 reg Captur 1.5 Auto 11,000 miles, and is parked on our drive nose down, I am loosing brake fluid after standing for a while, to the point that, when driving off on the level, with the screaming belt noise, the warning Brake failure notice comes on. The fluid is then below the Min mark when sitting level, and requires careful topping up. Yesterday I needed 160ml to bring up to Max mark
Ive checked the screw on cap, and the rubber appears to be fine, with the car sloping down forward, due to the design of the brake fluid bottle, the fluid can clearly be seen up and above the vent point in the centre of the cap, Im now temporarily parked nose Up, which cures the problem. I have also carried out a thorough de-grease and clean down there.
Any advise on fixes and or mods, from the group would be most welcome.
As a first contact ive E mailed our dealership, everything is closed down at the minute, but await their response with interest.

·
Super Moderator
2,424 Posts
As an interim measure, if the issue is with the seal in the lid of the reservoir cap, you could try buying a suitable seal (or selection of different sized seals) from a plumbers merchant or car factors and fitting it to see if that helps..... however before doing this, you must be sure tha you are technically competent to carry out an attempt to fix the issue, and you must observe H&S procedures - brake fluid is corrosive and attacks human skin, rubber, paintwork etc so be sure to have some water around in case of spillage or coming into contact with it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for your interest and replies guy's
Am I right in thinking, that brake fluid reservoir caps, have a rubber type seal, but are also vented top centre, to allow fluid level fluctuation during normal use. ?
and, Due to the elongated design of the reservoir bottle, with the motor parked only 15deg nose down, and the fluid is then above the screw on cap, the fluid will and does, seep out through the cap vent. ?
What am I missing, ? I must be thick.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well Hi Guy's, Here's interesting update, on this brake fluid loss as above.

The brake fluid was found to be seeping out through the vent in the centre of the cap seal washer, to confirm, I sealed the cap with a piece of cling film before putting the cap on, and thoroughly cleaned all the fluid I could see within the engine bay, with warm washing up liquid and clean water spray hose,
Parked the motor nose up on the drive for two days, great fine, parked the motor nose down for two days, fine ok.

Wednesday 7th May.
Dealership back at work, and responded to E mail.with a phone call, Said happy to investigate, and suggested the first coarse of action would be to replace the reservoir cap for a new one. and then go from there, but as the motor was out of warranty 31-03-20 all works would be chargeable.
They said sorry but they had no option but to charge me.
I said I was not happy with that, not the cost, so much, as I considered this was a design issue, rather than wear and tear, So they suggested I took the matter up with "Renault customer services UK" and see what they say.
Renault were very helpful, and pointed out that the motor Was still in warranty, due to 3 months warranty extension due to Corona Virus.
They also assigned a case manager to oversee and resolve my problems, who then phoned me within the hour.
He had already contacted the dealership re the extended warranty issue, I think as they had been closed down since march, and just opened again, they genuinely didn't know of warranty extensions, of which mine just fell in between the two. He had arranged for me to go down for immediate attention at the service dept, the same day or next, as soon as I could confirm when I could get there. So passing me over to the Dealership and confirming he would give me a follow up call on Monday.
"I was quite impressed"

Down to the dealership, service manager, who came out and changed the cap for a brand new one, upon examining the two, my old cap had a clear soft silicone vented seal washer, the new one was black harder rubber type with a more pronounced stepped inwards centre, a bit like an inverted top hat, with the same slit in the centre.
Put it on and we agreed I would monitor for one week.
So far three days, parked nose down, and No leaks,
So it looks as though a { improved design, from mine} sealing washer to the reservoir cap, fingers crosses has done it, Easy fix, minimal cost - no cost as turned out.

Does anyone think, I should ask for then to replace the drive belt and belt tensioner, on the grounds that the soaking with Brake fluid. will in time cause premature failure,to the belt and tensioner ? or isnt it likely to be an issue, ?
Thanks for your time members.

·
Super Moderator
2,424 Posts
Good result in a way, but as to the belt and tensioner, difficult. Depends on how long you intend to keep the car and how much Renault may argue that any deterioration will be minimal so no need to change anything else.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the replies, Not so good news though, after three days, checked and brake fluid still leaking, [Enough to soak two kitchen paper towels put under the reservoir to catch any escaped fluid], Booked the motor in again for today Tuesday, thev'e looked at it, and now can understand the problem, the service manager says hes not come across this problem before, but cant believe it, he's now got a Dacia Sandaro with exactly the same problem in the workshop now, we checked the reservoir bottles, and they are exactly the same design.
Hes going to get in touch with Renault technical services in a couple of days, and see what they suggest.
Ill keep you posted for if anyone is interested, and has the same problem,

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well Hi Guy's, Here's interesting update, on this brake fluid loss as above.

The brake fluid was found to be seeping out through the vent in the centre of the cap seal washer, to confirm, I sealed the cap with a piece of cling film before putting the cap on, and thoroughly cleaned all the fluid I could see within the engine bay, with warm washing up liquid and clean water spray hose,
Parked the motor nose up on the drive for two days, great fine, parked the motor nose down for two days, fine ok.

Wednesday 7th May.
Dealership back at work, and responded to E mail.with a phone call, Said happy to investigate, and suggested the first coarse of action would be to replace the reservoir cap for a new one. and then go from there, but as the motor was out of warranty 31-03-20 all works would be chargeable.
They said sorry but they had no option but to charge me.
I said I was not happy with that, not the cost, so much, as I considered this was a design issue, rather than wear and tear, So they suggested I took the matter up with "Renault customer services UK" and see what they say.
Renault were very helpful, and pointed out that the motor Was still in warranty, due to 3 months warranty extension due to Corona Virus.
They also assigned a case manager to oversee and resolve my problems, who then phoned me within the hour.
He had already contacted the dealership re the extended warranty issue, I think as they had been closed down since march, and just opened again, they genuinely didn't know of warranty extensions, of which mine just fell in between the two. He had arranged for me to go down for immediate attention at the service dept, the same day or next, as soon as I could confirm when I could get there. So passing me over to the Dealership and confirming he would give me a follow up call on Monday.
"I was quite impressed"

Down to the dealership, service manager, who came out and changed the cap for a brand new one, upon examining the two, my old cap had a clear soft silicone vented seal washer, the new one was black harder rubber type with a more pronounced stepped inwards centre, a bit like an inverted top hat, with the same slit in the centre.
Put it on and we agreed I would monitor for one week.
So far three days, parked nose down, and No leaks,
So it looks as though a { improved design, from mine} sealing washer to the reservoir cap, fingers crosses has done it, Easy fix, minimal cost - no cost as turned out.

Does anyone think, I should ask for then to replace the drive belt and belt tensioner, on the grounds that the soaking with Brake fluid. will in time cause premature failure,to the belt and tensioner ? or isnt it likely to be an issue, ?
Thanks for your time members.
I would ask for the belt 2be replaced but doubt you will get it FOC.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update,
Thanks guys and to ggboy above, I agree, theve not even got back to me, and reading past forums,
And Ive also been reading the Dacia forums, [which some at least have the same reservoir bottles as this] who have the same problem spanning back to as early as 2014.
I think all Renault are going to do, after giving me the, "weve never heard anything about this issue before", line, is going to suggest to change the reservoir bottle, and see if that does the trick,

From reading all of the forum posts, ive not seen anyone have a successful Renault solution.
Renault need a redesigned reservoir bottle, Or a redesigned Cap. Theve known about it for at least 6 years, Surly not Rocket science for a global motor company, so obviously cant be bothered.

I could jump up and down for ever more, but ive got better things to do, and its 20 miles each way to the dealers. So ive designed a solution myself to solve my problem. ive ordered the parts needed for less than £ 10.00 and ill get it sorted next week.
Thanks for any comments above.
Hope it helps people noticing,
Brake fluid loss, dripping on the floor, front offside corner, squealing drive belt upon drive off, and brake fluid just under the lower edge of the reservoir cap, and generous amounts of fluid inside the cap sealing washer when removed.

So thanks guys and gals, over and out,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts