Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Thinking of taking my wife's Captur to France for a one day "booze cruise".One thing the Captur definitely would dobetter than my MG is carry plenty wine! That said I can get 4.5 dozen bottles in the MG so the Captur would allow for some really serious alcohol relatedsavings to be made.

In France having speed camera alerts on the sat nav is illegal & can result in confiscation of the sat nav.

I am able to delete them from the Tom Tom I use in the MG when we drive through France on holidays to visit Spain, Italy, etc. BUT: I have no idea what is on the built in Medianav on the Captur. I've asked Renault via MY RENAULT feedback but no response as yet. Does anyone know if French speed cameras are on Medianav & if so how do I delete them.

Worst scenario: Would the Gendarmes confiscate the car if the offending sat nav is built in??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi
I contacted Renault customer service about taking the car to France, and asked about the speed camera issue .I also wanted to know if it's possible to alter my headlights for continental driving. A man named Ray told me he would make enquiries, because he wasn't sure,and get back to me. That was two days ago. Still nothing.

·
Super Moderator
2,626 Posts
I would have thought that Renault, being a french manufacturer, would know about the speed camera issues and that they would not be on the medianav unit's software.
IIRC there is a lever to adjust the headlight beam aim for driving on the right, but the French may require you to fit beam bender stickers on the headlight lenses.
Don't forget your 2 breath test kits and hi-viz jackets for 5 people that must be in the car's cabin, not in the boot, plus your kit of spare bulbs and red breakdown warning triangle.

There are so many petty laws on driving in France now that I'm not sure I'd take the risk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The MG is usually our "continental car"; especially for trips to the Mediterranean; & I keep all the French legal requirements in it full time along with: some tools, jump leads, essential fluids, tyre pump, etc, etc. It also has a Libert-E Tag on the screen for minimum delays when paying autoroute tolls.
Given that I also asked Renault about this some days ago it looks like they don't have a valid answer. OK I think one could switch off all audible warnings on the MediaNav but the actual data may still be there & may still contravene French bureaucracy.
I'll have one more go at Renault otherwise I'll just have to bring back less wine!!
That said if less wine means enjoying top down driving in a more responsive car it may be worth it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had a prompt response from Renault MediaNav Tech Dept which clears this all up:

Dear Mr. Pitt,

Thank you for contacting Renault Connected Services Helpline.

You have reached Pedro Domingues and I will be supporting you with your query.

Concerning
the speed cameras in France, the Media Nav does not have any
information about these in France, so its perfectly safe to use.

Regardless of the map its being used - the French one or the Europe one - there is no information about speed cameras.

Should you have any doubts or comments, please don't hesitate to contact me again.

Lastly,
in order to maintain an appropriate order in the history of your
request, I ask you to please reply directly to this email by using the
""reply""� option.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,

Pedro Domingues
Customer Service Representative
Renault Connected Services

ref:_00DD0q7zf._500D0cNHSm:ref

·
Super Moderator