Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, hoping someone can help me. I’ve had my 2018 Captur for a month, I switched from an Astra GTC 1.4 Turbo, thinking that a 0.9 TCE would be a lot cheaper to run (given smaller engine). On a full tank, I’m getting a “range” of 250 miles at best given or take a few miles. Averaging around 32mpg, I do do a lot of short journeys to school, for every 1 mile daily trip the range drops around 5 miles. My friend had a 0.9 Clio, I appreciate the captur is slightly bigger but on a full tank shes getting almost 350 miles. Does my consumption sound normal or should I be going back to the dealer? I’m getting less miles per tank than the Astra. Any advice greatly received

·
Registered
132 Posts
Good Morning

I have had my 0.9TCE Captur for 9 months now and have kept accurate records of my fuel consumption.

I have found that consumption is quite high while driving in an urban environment, that is to say a lot of stop start, 1st and 2nd gear, in traffic style driving. I only achieve around 35mpg if that is the only type of driving I do.

On a motorway sat at 70mph I will get around 48mpg.

I have discovered the car (in terms of mpg at least) really is designed to sit at around 50mph. Keeping it sat around this figure will achieve mpg figures of 55-60mpg!

My commute involves a mix of all the above, and as a result I am achieving a combined mpg of 46mpg.

I hope that helps and would be interested to hear from other TCE owners. I should point out I do use the ECO mode, which I know is not everyone's cup of tea but for the roads I have to drive it works for me.

Scott

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Scott - this is helpful. It is also what I suspected. I don’t want to get rid of the car just to end up with the same issue with every car. Seems a shame when you research a car then when it comes to it, you’re not really getting what you expected

·
Registered
6 Posts
With purely town driving mine returns only 32mpg as well. On the open road it jumps into the 40's. I would say that Scott has summed it up perfectly.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks Scott - this is helpful. It is also what I suspected. I don’t want to get rid of the car just to end up with the same issue with every car. Seems a shame when you research a car then when it comes to it, you’re not really getting what you expected
I know exactly how you feel. One of main factors in me purchasing the Captur was its perceived better fuel economy over its rivals. Although it falls someway short of the sales brochure figures, I have concluded that other manufacturers are equally as good at printing inflated mpg figures, gained in a wind tunnel and not in the real world, and therefore suspect competitor models are no better, certainly in the urban environment.

My only disappointment was I had an old 51 plate Peugeot 106 (1L engine) which utilised 20 year old engine technology and that averaged almost identical mpg figures to my 64 plate Captur. I was hoping that advancements in engine technology would have improved this figure, but it appears emission regulations strangle the engine and thus limit its performance and efficiency.

·
Registered
132 Posts
With purely town driving mine returns only 32mpg as well. On the open road it jumps into the 40's. I would say that Scott has summed it up perfectly.
Thanks Ken. Although less than we probably all hoped for, it is reasurring to hear this from other TCE owners so we know there isn't anything inherently wrong with the car!

·
Registered
914 Posts
I did not think that everday knocking around driving fuel consumption figures was so little as 32mpg on the captur 0.9 TCE.

I was getting more out of a used astra twenty years ago, I could guarantee back then 42 mpg knocking around.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I did not think that everday knocking around driving fuel consumption figures was so little as 32mpg on the captur 0.9 TCE.

I was getting more out of a used astra twenty years ago, I could guarantee back then 42 mpg knocking around.
Indeed Dick. I'd be interested to hear from other TCE owners about their mpg figures but I don't think our figures are far from average. I have concluded petrol engines cannot really become anymore efficient.

It certainly highlights the Captur isn't really a "town" car, but neither is it a long distance commuter. It fits the bill for me as someone who does a mix of town and long distance with decent storage (which was another key factor when choosing a new car as I have a 3 year old daughter).

·
Registered
914 Posts
My reasons for choosing the Captur was , my wife was having hip problems and the car
was the best height for her to get in and out.

We had 6 Renault Megane’s before the Captur so stuck with Renault this last.

Probably will go for a mazda cx3 next

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone it’s good to Hear it’s just not me. I’ve been back to the dealer today who said they will book it in if needed, took it for a longer run today but struggled to get above 30mpg and I’m certainly not going to start doing un necessary journeys I don’t need, they also advised to reset the trip thing which I hadn’t been doing, sadly as you said I don’t think any car is as good as they state when selling. When I said about my friends Clio they simply said the captur is a much better car but when comparing sizes there isn’t much in it so not sure I buy that either. Just settle for a little disappointment in what I thought would be a very economical car. I just don’t do the correct driving required

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They were adamant I should be achieving at least 48mpg combined but clearly I am not. I cycle to work and it’s not not worth the parking charges to justify driving in to try and hit this figure. We are off to Devon this week and he said to “see how it goes” clearly going to be a lot better mpg - not going to achieve much as not what I will be doing on a weekly basis

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is a post that I made last September re fuel consumption during this period the best figure was 40.3 mpg the worst was 37.52 mpg

These figures are taken filling the tank right up at each fill.

Tce 90 mpg[

Petrol 549.15 gallons- Miles 21805 - Average 39.71 mpg.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Should have got a diesel!!! Got back from a weeks holiday on Anglesey a few hours ago. Covered 802 miles of motorway,A and B roads and unclassified single track lanes and averaged 62.1mpg for the week.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Diesels are all well and good if you do enough miles to justify the extra cost when you purchase the car. I test drove both the diesel and the petrol engines and was impressed by both. Petrol 0.9 Tce suits my purposes very well.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Diesels are all well and good if you do enough miles to justify the extra cost when you purchase the car. I test drove both the diesel and the petrol engines and was impressed by both. Petrol 0.9 Tce suits my purposes very well.

I purchased my diesel captur mainly because I was unsure about the new petrol engines back then.

I did know a little more about the 1.5dci so went for that

Only owned one diesel before many years back.

I only do small journeys but take the car on a 20 mile each way run every month.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,
Just joined this forum to ask the same question!. Glad to see I am not the only one with some disappointment over the MPG figure. I bought my 2015 TCe about 2 months ago. First time I got about 40 MPG which included some motorway driving. Second time (short distance town running) it was only 28 MPG. Does the "ECO" mode make any difference ?.
BTW, my previous car (2004 Clio, 1.2) returned 38-40 MPG for town running.

·
Registered
132 Posts
"Does the "ECO" mode make any difference?" It certainly does,it makes you think someone has knicked half your engine!!!!
That I cannot argue with Baldyman! I'm sure I could accelerate faster on my push bike at times!

However, I must admit I do use it most of the time (majority of my driving is urban so swift acceleration isn't required), and I find it does improve fuel economy quite considerably. In my case, average mpg is 44mpg with ECO on, 38 with ECO off.

I am currently visiting the in laws in Gloucestershire and took the motorway all the way from Stoke and with ECO on, I averaged 55mpg ?. That was with the speed set to 65mph and subtracting out the 40 and 50 sections, the speed never varied.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Laz
I'm getting virtually the same consumption from my 2018 Craptur (90 bhp 1.5) as I am from my 07 Honda Accord cdti (138 bhp 2.2) at present that is around 44 mpg. Puzzling as I got considerably more out of my 03 Clio (100bhp 1.5).

1 - 20 of 52 Posts