Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked my captur up yesterday, done 90 miles and it's used half a tank? Is this normal? So around 180 miles for a full tank?

65 plate 0.9 petrol

·
Registered
170 Posts
Evening Wigan

If you type in "mpg", "fuel consumption" or similar into the search bar above you will find many threads on this. It will be entirely dependent on your driving style and whether you choose to use the ECO function or not.

For me, with my 2014 TCE90, I get about 38mpg in heavy traffic and ~50mpg on long motorway journeys. I tend to leave ECO on (I know others really dislike it but each to their own).

With my mix of road types, this equates to about 400 miles to empty (~43mpg average). And I don't mean when the red light comes on, I mean 9.5 gallons used as displayed by the on board computer.

FYI I always use Shell V-Power fuel. Again, if you search "V-Power" I'm sure you will find the thread I started about this and why I choose to use this.

Hope that helps

Scott

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much 😃
It is saying I have only used 1.9g so hoping thats correct rather than the fuel gauge. Miles to empty doesn't seem much use either as it said 30 miles on a full tank. Hoping I preying I get more than 180 miles on a full tank 😭

·
Super Moderator
2,676 Posts
Judging by the number of posts that we have had here regarding the fuel gauge's "accuracy", I wouldn't yet read anything into your gauge. Some gauges seem to move very quickly initially, then take ages to move a little, then descend rapidly as the fuel level drops really low. It can also take a few tankfulls for the gauge to "settle down" and behave in a more understandable way. The gauge on my Captur takes longer in mileage terms to go from full to half-full, than it does to go from half-full to empty. The computer read-outs for consumption and range are better than trying to make a judgement based on the gauge itself, but they're still not accurate enough to be totally relied upon. IMHO always best to reset the trip to Zero when filling up, and never travelling more than 400 miles (diesel) before filling again .... adjust that mileage to suit depending on fuel and your driving style !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How accurate is the gallons used?
It's the 0.9 petrol

Going off the gallons used it's hardly used anything.

I did 83 miles, refilled and it took £23 pound, so going off my original fuel top up, it cost £20 for 83 miles 😳

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi Wigan

For my Captur (same engine as yours) the gallons used is the most accurate gauge. The actual fuel gauge is OK, but as Ivor has said, does not descend linearly. Slow to begin with, but after half way appears to speed up!

If you fill the tank to the brim, then that is 45L or about ~9.9 gallons. I am old school when it comes to these things and wanted to know for sure how accurate the gauges are.

I therefore brimmed the car, set the trips, then ran it until the fuel tank was essentially dry (not recommended if you have a diesel) and noted that the gallons used read 9.6. When I refueled it I could get 44 litres (9.7 gallons) in. As such, I am happy to use the "gallons used" as an accurate measure, and when I get to 9.0 used, then I know I have about half a gallon (~20-25 miles) to find a petrol station. The red light will have been in for some time at this point.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I refilled this morning, it said gallons used was 2.6g
So going of that it was no where near half gone, I may stay local and use that for a full tank, maybe just to 8.5g and refill ? Get an idea and ignore the fuel gauge haha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts