Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please somone assure me I can get 50+ mpg on a 0.9 TCe engine before i order a new oneI have a yaris 1.3 vvti auto which i get 52 mpg

·
Registered
924 Posts
Take a browse around the Captur owners forum, there are PLENTY of threads on MPG for diesel, petrol, 0.9, 1.2, and 1.5 versions.
Small engines have to be driven with respect. However they are very willing, but eat up the juice if you don't use a feather on the throttle.

You will find the results and satisfaction ratingsVERY mixed, as some people don't seem to realise that 900cc is VERY small and has to work hard to keep up with the demands of today's traffic needs.

·
Registered
215 Posts
if you are going to do a lot of short journeys i would advise a petrol
as it is well known that these types of journeys have been detrimental to diesel engines in the past few years with egr and dpf problems although i haven't come across too many problems with the latest 1.5 dci renault engine
mazda has had massive problems with their diesel engines , my ex bosses mazda 6 nearly blew up the engine due to dpf problems, he quickly bought a dpf blanking plate and traded it in

·
Super Moderator
2,370 Posts
Yaris is a much smaller car with a much smaller frontal area.

Any mpg you get will be influenced by your style of driving, and the type of roads (e.g. do you do a lot of stop-start driving in town, or mainly uncongested motorways)

·
Registered
924 Posts
Particulate filters on diesels need to have longish runs at moderate speeds in order to regenerate. So start/stop travelling means going for a start/stop engine. This will help keep up the MPG.

·
Registered
215 Posts
sourced the bit of info from the dacia forum on the 1.5dci

I got a technical explanation to clarify the DPF mystery in case anyone still has doubts...

On previous generation Nissan 1.5 dci engines, there was a DPF light - this would illuminate if the enginemanagement systemdetermined that the DPF could be blocking up by sensing exhaust back pressure and the history of your driving style (worst case is slow speed, stop-start). The light would come on telling you to drive the car a 'high' speed for a sustained period to increase the exhaust gas temperature and burn off the soot...

On the Euro 5 version (fittedin your Juke, if you have a diesel of course..), there is no DPF light. The engine management system has OCS (oil condition sensing).. this system determines if it believes the DPF may be at risk of being blocked in much the same way, but to regenerate, it does not require you to drive at higher speed for a sustained period. Instead, it uses 2 strategies..

1. Post-injection of fuel - after the main combustion event (the one that creates your power..) there is a small additional injection of fuel that burns into the exhaust, increasing the gas temperature, burning off the soot..

2. The engine is fitted with a 5th fuel injector in the exhaust that pumps fuel into the DPF to raise the temperature and burn off the soot

Both are done regardless of engine/driving speed and are invisible to the driver.

The side effect of the post-injection is that there can be some dilution to the engine oil during regen, and so multiple regens can degrade the oil quality.

The OCS system constantly estimates the reduction in oil performance and calculates the new service interval required.

sounds as if the renault engine has a good system on regenerating the dpf , wasn't trying to scaremonger earlier it is a well known fact, you just have to look around the forums to find them , hopefully this latest innovation has resolved the past problems Edited by: GORDONR

·
Registered
215 Posts
in the mazdas the diesel fuel was not getting burned off in the regeneration system and was filtered to the sump causing the levels to rise dangerously and if not checked ,it caused engine failiure

·
Registered
924 Posts
Good to know that bunged up DPFs are a thing of the past, well on Nissan/Renault engines anyway.

Edited by: crossbow

·
Registered
209 Posts
GORDONR said:
in the mazdas the diesel fuel was not getting burned off in the regeneration system and was filtered to the sump causing the levels to rise dangerously and if not checked ,it caused engine failiure
Sorry to disagree but you are only part right. The regen process is as described above, a small amount of fuel is used to burn off the soot. Early on, with the current new generation engines, there were some issues about suspected oil level increases but these were fixed with a change of process and also a change of dipstick. Strange but true

How do I know? I have now got 7000 miles on my Mazda CX5 2.2D and haven't had a moment's bother nor has my oil level increased. The give away (that regen has occurred) is that fuel economy suffers by 2-3 mpg every 3rd or4th tank. However it is a superb car.....

·
Registered
45 Posts
worldcup, in answer to your question , a definite no you will get around 37mpg around town and about 43 on motorway . hope this answers your question. malcptur

·
Registered
409 Posts
5,500 miles in now in my DCi90 and am 63.3mpg in a fairly mixed bag town and country driving. Hav'nt really been on a very long run yet (more than 40/50 miles at one go) and hav'nt bothered much with the eco button.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Miles run + range/fuel bought = around 42mpg. On a 300-mile round trip I do regularly, 46/48 mpg according to the computer.
Where do I find an uncongested motorway?

·
Registered
125 Posts
My computer says 53.8 mpg so far, and that's only 1 weeks driving, school runs, round town and a trip from Norfolk to Essex and back. (1.5 dci)

1 - 20 of 84 Posts