Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my wife went to fill up with Diesel and the fuel filler cap will not open. So frustrating!

We've tried everything, locking and unlocking continuously, keycard in ignition or in pocket, nothing has worked... Any help would be appreciated. Might even struggle to get to garage with the amount of fuel left

Renault Captur 2014 Dynamique Nav S 1.5 dci

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Hi, my wife went to fill up with Diesel and the fuel filler cap will not open. So frustrating!

We've tried everything, locking and unlocking continuously, keycard in ignition or in pocket, nothing has worked... Any help would be appreciated. Might even struggle to get to garage with the amount of fuel left

No real answer, I would try your reserve key card with a new battery number CR2032.

If not contact Renault assist

·
Registered
318 Posts

There have been a few cases reported where this has happened and I would imagine its very annoying to say the least. Try to operate the key fob while slapping the flap continuously. As you may be aware the fuel flap is operated though the central locking system and to get to it the rear panel will have to be removed and unless you are pretty handy its not a straight forward job; so if the car is still under warranty have the car checked by the dealer.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
SOLVED !

It would seem that most renault's use a solenoid to open/unlock
the fuel filler door.

The solenoid is linked to the central locking, but can be prone to failure.

Here's a video showing the same system on a clio

·
Registered
Renualt Captur 2015 1.5 dCi
2 Posts
Don't know how useful this will be 3 years on, but it's here for anyone else if they come across this problem! The video of the clio isn't too great as the captur (mines a 2015) has a slightly different layout which makes this quite a fidly but doable thing.

The solenoid mentioned and shown in the video is actually much higher up hidden behind the seat belt mechanism. I've circled roughly where it is behind the mechanism in the photo below, however it's black in a dark part of the car, so you might need a torch and a bit of looking to find it, I found it easiest to see when my head was almost level to the hole.

To get to this you will have to remove the panel slightly and use a screwdriver as a level to push the pin up.

I hope that makes a bit of sense

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've just checked and you're right. Sorry. What a bummer. My last car (Scenic) had what looked like exactly the same layout, so I assumed the cover is for the same purpose. It looks to be in the proper place to access the solenoid but you can't reach it. How stupid, particularly when these solenoids are so pathetic.

·
Registered
Renault Captur TCe 120 EDC Dynamique 2016
1 Posts
Not for this purpose, the whole mechanism is behind the seat belt reel
The solenoid is visible from the tailgate as seen from the slot in the side panel and can be unlocked with a rod about 40 cm long.
(click)

The rod is made of aluminum and cut off from the old scrap TV antenna.
(click)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts