Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just taken my captur in to look at the fuel gauge/fuel remaining distance in miles accuracy.
The problem has been mentioned before regarding the fuel gauge not moving when fulll and the inaccuracy of the distance to go.
I seem to be getting to around 88-90 miles left on the distance to go then the fuel light comes on (the gauge is on the yellow lines). If you then stop the vehicle and restart the reading drops to 50 miles then all of a suuden goes to Zero.
The fuel gauge reading then also seems to drop to bottom.
The Renault technician ran some diagnostic tests but was not able to make much better.
He did say that there is a fix for this though which requires completely re booting the system and changing some parameters to get it more relistic.
This however can take up to 2.30 hrs which unfortunately he couldnt do at time as I had only an hour slot for an a quick diagnostic check.
So will be returning to garage to see if this the soloution.
Will keep you all updated.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I started a topic 'fuel range' a while back Steve about this and was told by other members that it's normal for Renault cars to do this. It's certainly the first car that I've owned that does this and I do find it annoying. Like yours mine drops to zero at around the 70-80 mile mark and when the OBC says 8-8.5 gallons used. Must admit I pay no attention to where the needle is though, I now fill up when it says I've used around 9-9.5 gallons and then put around 42 litres in. This normally equates to about 475 miles but I'm getting closer to the magic 500 to a tank

·
Registered
91 Posts
Try to fill it up to just the first click of the pump! Mine starts dropping late but it is somewhat correct around a 10% difference which I investigate to see whether its gas station related (...cheating)

Edited by: plinakos

·
Registered
5 Posts
The range on the trip computer on all Renault carsdoes not count down to zero like some other makes (had a Skoda before that would count down to 3 miles, might have gone further than that but I that's the lowest I ever took it) All Renaults range readouts disappearwithin a few miles ofthe fuel warning light coming on. They also count down in units of 5 (80, 75, 70 etc)

It's not so much the range that effects this, as the amount of fuel left in the tank and the MPG you are achieving (for example, if the tank has two gallons in it when the fuel light comes on, and you are achieving 50 mpg the range will disappear at 100 miles. If your only getting 30 mpg it will disappear at 60 miles...hope that makes sense?)

One other pointer, Dacia are having a few fuel gauge glitches with the gauges not displaying full, and then taking a long time to start counting down. One suggestion has been that you should never over fill the tank as the design of the tank allows the fuel sender unit to go past maximum if the tank is overfilled.Only fill it to one or two clicks of the fuel pump. If it overfills it knocks out the calibration until it settles itself out which causes the gauges to read inaccurately after being filled. Sorts itself out by about 3/4's of a tank I believe.

Not sure if this is true or not, but certainly noticed our Captur seems to stay on full for ever before it starts to count down and I do have a tendency to round-up the fuel to the nearest pound (I'm a bit OCD like that ha ha)

·
Registered
91 Posts
It maybe another reason as well, fuel tempature is initially hot / warm when it is pumped or / and due to the filling speed is producing froth (another way that gas stations use to charge us more) and occupies more space in the tank. Gradually it is settled down by lowering temparature and froth as well as the fuel consumption.

In anycase it seems that after the middle indication goes down faster. Recenlty I had the warning light coming in whilst it was showing only 35 litres (around 8 UK gallons) consumed ( tank takes 45 litres) and the gas station charged for 42 litres to refill it up to the first click!Edited by: plinakos

1 - 5 of 5 Posts