Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my fuel range drops to 50-60 soon after it goes off and reads ---- is this normal? as every other vehicle I've had with an OBC counts down to zero.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Frosty, this is a normal feature on the Renault range and has been since my first clio 13years ago. I know some other makes operate when the tank is virtually empty., it just takes a bit of getting used to, better knowing you've got something in reserve though, don't you think? malcaptur

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks for the info, as it's my first Renault I wasn't aware they don't count down to zero.
I've always liked to play 'red light roulette' malcaptur and nearly always take my Caddy down to zero until I fill up, by my calculations I've got about 5 miles to go before I run out!
No doubt I'll get used to it

·
Registered
174 Posts
Frosty said:
Ok thanks for the info, as it's my first Renault I wasn't aware they don't count down to zero.
I've always liked to play 'red light roulette' malcaptur and nearly always take my Caddy down to zero until I fill up, by my calculations I've got about 5 miles to go before I run out!

Mine went off and the fuel light came on - when I went to the filling station and brimmed it it only took 40 litres, so approximately 5 litres left and about 4 that will be useable; fairly decent range (4.5L is about a gallon, so about 50 miles of fuel remaining when gauge shows zero - but don't blame me if you break down - this is just a rough guesstimate)...

·
Registered
84 Posts
What size is the fuel tank? The handbook says 40 or 45 litres depending on vehicle. I have never been able to get more than 39 litres with the light on, so I am assuming I have a 40-litre tank.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Frosty said:

I used to do that until it cost me a new Fuel Pump on a Fiat Punto JTD - continually running the tank close to empty (well, 49.18 litres in a 49 litre tank is fairly close...) dragged all the cack through it. Now I just brim it at my first chance when the fuel light comes on.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JohnChambers said:
What size is the fuel tank? The handbook says 40 or 45 litres depending on vehicle. I have never been able to get more than 39 litres with the light on, so I am assuming I have a 40-litre tank.
Well mine is certainly not 40 litres as I put 41 in it yesterday!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Frank Bullitt said:
Frosty said:

I used to do that until it cost me a new Fuel Pump on a Fiat Punto JTD - continually running the tank close to empty (well, 49.18 litres in a 49 litre tank is fairly close...) dragged all the cack through it.  Now I just brim it at my first chance when the fuel light comes on.
I've heard this said many times about running it very low, but I have a different theory that if from new you always run it very low then no crack will build up as its always being replenished totally rather than always leaving quarter to half a tank of old fuel (and cack) to mix with the new fuel.
Maybe I'm wrong and a mechanic will blow this theory away but I've just turned 125000 miles with no fuel problems.
God I hate tempting fate

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I prefer to leave at least a gallon/ 5 litres of fuel in the tank...Unfortunately a lot of unreliable petrol stations in Poland where the fuel can be 'iffy' We usually go to a Shell station as they tend to have good fuel. That's the reason I wouldn't do what you're doing Frosty...although in your case it does make sense!!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Extremely normal to get no reading otherwise owners would try to get down to the last drop! Remember there's sludge in that there tank! Also we diesel owners should keep the tank filled to avoid water vapour icing up in the tank!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I used to have an Alfa Romeo 147 and when the fuel gauge on that indicated 0 miles it stopped

·
Registered
824 Posts
Not Captur related but:-
One of my recent vehicles (A Campervan) used to run on a 50/50 mix of new veg oil (tescos finest!) and Diesel.After first using it it used to wash all the crap through the system which caught in the fuel filter and something called a banjo filter once these were cleaned never had a problem with crappy tank (Dont do it on a Captur though!)...........another by product was a lovely chippy or popcorn smell from the exhaust
and the emission test on MOT never had a problem either!!
Really weird watching the glug glug of veg oil going in the tank

As per Captur I treat half a tank as empty and fill up...... that way you never run out or put yourself at risk of being stranded anywhwere!!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Correct TC, the last point is my philosophy!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Mhh was not in the boy scouts
. I live life on the edge and normally fill up when the mileage disappears. I'm sure that it shows around 60 miles left in the tank before it drops to zero. Though I wouldn't put this to the test. Last time I ran out of petrol was in 1988. Can remember that but not what I had for dinner 2 nights ago, the minds a strange thing.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I now have a new strategy to prolong the next fill up.... I go off the fuel used on the OBC and fill up when it says about 9.5 gallons used, this means I've got about 25 miles to go before I run out. I've checked this figure by brim to brim fill ups and it's very accurate so I'm happy in the knowledge that no sludge will build up in my tank

·
Registered
103 Posts
Frosty said:
Frank Bullitt said:
Frosty said:

I used to do that until it cost me a new Fuel Pump on a Fiat Punto JTD - continually running the tank close to empty (well, 49.18 litres in a 49 litre tank is fairly close...) dragged all the cack through it.  Now I just brim it at my first chance when the fuel light comes on.
I've heard this said many times about running it very low, but I have a different theory that if from new you always run it very low then no crack will build up as its always being replenished totally rather than always leaving quarter to half a tank of old fuel (and cack) to mix with the new fuel.
Maybe I'm wrong and a mechanic will blow this theory away but I've just turned 125000 miles with no fuel problems.
God I hate tempting fate
Frosty, I'm with you on this one, I run mine as low as I dare then fill up. I've only had mine since Tuesday and have already run the needle below the gauge.
I don't think we have to worry about cack in fuel tanks these days, most of the cack was generated through the rusting of fuel tanks, both those in the car and those buried under the forecourt of petrol stations. If you stick to modern petrol stations you will be fine play roulette

·
Registered
588 Posts
interesting thread.
i will admit to topping up the tank when i hit halfway on the needle but id be interested to know if those of you letting the tank go to almost empty find a differnce in the registed MPG? was only thinking if im running the car with a full tank most of the time if the added weight effects it much?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Good point Tony......I would think that the equivalent weight of fuel in 1/2 a tank would have the same effect as running your air conditioning all the time to the mpg!!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts