Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I bought a new auto Captur and as I was driving off from the dealership, a spanner light came on the dashboard and a message saying “gearbox not engaged (P)”. Car then stopped and wouldn’t let me move. Turned it off twice and back on the same thing happened. Third time I switched it off and back on then it allowed me to drive off and didn’t have any more problems and made it home.

Does anyone know what might have caused this? Rang the dealership and they will try fit me in for a service check but are booked up currently! But it is a brand new car so concerning if there is a problem. I initially managed to drive around 10m before this spanner light and message came up.

thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I would read them the riot act, ask for a courtesy car, also advising them if problems persist
you will be rejecting the car as not fit for purpose.

Contact Renault direct and tell them what service you have received

This is very bad for a new car I would be fuming

Some years ago we had a monday morning renault, every time I had it towed by the renault assist
back to the dealership and I mean every time approx 8 times in three months.

As I understand it renault puts pressure on the garage if it’s recovered.

Every time it was attended to the same daY, do the same

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for your advice, will take it to the dealership on Monday and if they won’t see it, will contact Renault directly.

the sales assistant at the dealership suggested I might have driven off in the wrong gear. But why would the spanner light come on and why would it say gearbox not engaged if so? Does anyone have any experience of this?
I feel very concerned because it is a brand new car and should not have any faults!

·
Super Moderator
2,487 Posts
I don't think you can drive off in the wrong gear. In my 2014 EDC version, I have not come across a "winter" mode and the car always sets off in first gear, no way that I have found to force it to step off in 2nd or even 3rd

·
Super Moderator
2,487 Posts
^
Ah, the "nanny" modes inflicted upon us by legislators! Modern autos don't like you leaving them in "N" when you stop and open a door, for example to get out and open your garage door or to collect and load something into the boot.

If a door was not closed then you may get a warning, but it should not make the gearbox change gear or engage another mode (e.g."N")

1 - 7 of 7 Posts