Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi captur team,

Got a 2014 captur with projector headlights and terrible halogen bulbs.

I've installed two different types of LED bulbs, both give zero power and no warnings to the dash.

Does the captur require coding to accept such bulbs or are Renault very picky when it comes to bulb type? I've never had any issues with previous cars.

Thanks guys 馃憤

Super Moderator
The headlight bulbs should not need coding - there are no electronics in the halogen projector lamps to be coded! It may be that the LEDs do not draw sufficient current and the computer(s) therefore think that the bulbs have blown and shut the power off.... no idea and it will need someone with specific technical knowledge of the Captur to give a definitive answer. When you swap the original halogen bulbs back, do they work OK immediately?

Also for information I believe that someone posted that it is now illegal (MoT failure) to swap out halogen bulbs and replace them with LEDs

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The headlight bulbs should not need coding - there are no electronics in the halogen projector lamps to be coded! It may be that the LEDs do not draw sufficient current and the computer(s) therefore think that the bulbs have blown and shut the power off.... no idea and it will need someone with specific technical knowledge of the Captur to give a definitive answer. When you swap the original halogen bulbs back, do they work OK immediately?

Also for information I believe that someone posted that it is now illegal (MoT failure) to swap out halogen bulbs and replace them with LEDs
Yes they work immediately when switching back to halogens. Very odd.

Thanks for pointing out about the MOT.

Registered
I believe it is illegal to put led bulbs in headlights designed for halogen bulbs as the light pattern is likely to dazzle oncoming drivers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts