Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed when I parked on a decline not a major one either, that I had to pull the handbrake pretty hard for it to prevent the car rolling. Think it was about 7 clicks nearly double that from my old car.
Is this normal? Or do I need it tightening?

·
Registered
588 Posts
ive just gone back to a manual handbrake after getting use to an electric one Dr65...im happy if i remember to apply it

if your in any doubt i dont think it would be a major thing for the Dealership to tighten it up for you, like you say if it wasnt on much of an incline its better to be safe than sorry

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Going to book a lesson on the r link with the salesman, will mention it to him then.

·
Registered
924 Posts
When practicing to become a member of the Institute of Advanced Motorists, I wasadvised to hold in the handbrake button, and thus avoid the clicks, when applying the handbrake. This was so that the ratchet would not take unnecessary wear and tear. So up to now I did not know how many clicks were involved in securing the handbrake on my Captur. However, today I experimented. I found it was six clicks to secure the car under normal conditions, but I could apply seven clicks.
I have not felt that the amount of travel was excessive, and the car is held securely. So I suspect, unless you feel the car is insecure and runs the risk of rolling away, then all is OK.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like wise I use the button was taught to do this when I passed my test in 84, and has become a habit. It's just that I parked it on a downslope and it rolled and I thought mhh thought the handbrake was on and high enough. That's when I counted the ratchets as I vaguely remember that it should be around 4.
Probably normal for the car as yours also is around the 6 mark but I will ask the dealers when I visit them next.
Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
924 Posts
The button is what you press to release the handbrake.
unless you use the very large complementry hammer you find under the boot flooring
along with the brick which can act as a handbrake when the rear passenger can't pull back the handbrake for you.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ah I see that kit,with the potato cannon exhaust, fake dump valve and burberry upholstery.....?
oh I forgot the complimentary 'V6 turbo' badge from halfords.Edited by: Cj86

·
Registered
588 Posts
with ciggy burns in the carpeting, Rip Speed lighter, and asorted carrier bags under the seat

·
Registered
103 Posts
....................And back to reality

The handbrake will probably need adjusting after a few miles have been enjoyed because the Captur has Brake shoes on the rear not Discs.

6 Clicks seems a little excessive

However I still think this is better than the counter intuitive electronic brake in my Avensis. You have to push the button in to activate it and pull it out the disengage it.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Will admit they are better than the electronic ones Dal...less to go wrong. Surprised they didnt go with this option on the Captur though as it worked fine on the Scenic I had.feels like a step backwards on Renaults part

·
Registered
103 Posts
At least I won't return from shopping with the Mrs to find my car in the middle of the road where the stupid electronic parking brake did apply and the car rolled out of its parking place.

Luckily it never hit anything else

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just give it firm tug Tone

1 - 20 of 23 Posts