Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Firstly, thought I should join the forums properly, as having read the posts "anonymously" they have proved to be very interesting, so thank you already for sage advice!

I am considering a Captur 1.5DCi Dynamique Medianav with EDC; however, finding a test drive in the auto diesel is becoming night on impossible, so any information will be valuable.

So, I have a couple of questions which the experienced folks on this forum might be able to help me with (and I know there are a couple of other threads that pick up some of these):

How well does the EDC gearbox work with the diesel? I have experience of the DSG's in VW/Skoda diesels, and wondered how it compares? I know that What Car and other magazines haven't been entirely complimentary on the 120TCe with EDC, often citing the 'box as "lazy" (though I know its not a performance car- I am a fairly sedate driver, who covers around 25,000 miles a year- and wouldn't want anything "sporty"!)

Also- I have briefly considered the front armrest, but, from the threads, I am led to believe that this isn't probably worth having- is that a generally accurate opinion, do you think?

Thanks again for any help and advice. I know if I do purchase, I will be in for a (very) long wait, but that is not a problem!

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hello Mark

Welcome aboard!!!

Can't help with your specific questions because mine's a manual petrol model and I don't have the armrest either.....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome! Any information is always welcome- I have to say, it looks a good car and is leading my choice at the moment!

I hope you are happy with your car.

Mark

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yes, I am very happy with it. I had a new one on order but when June delivery suddenly became September/October I cancelled it and got an ex-demo that is 8 months old.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hi Mark, I have the car you are considering....one of the main reasons I bought it was the EDC box..!
It seems very smooth most of the time and works well with the diesel engine.. On odd occasions it can seem a bit slow on takeoff and other times a bit jerky if caught between gears, but overall I would rate it as excellent, very smooth and relaxing to drive..
Don't have the armrest but people do say it can get in the way, so wouldn't bother with that....get one of the other options instead..
Mine suffers from the 29.9 problem, but, hopefully that will be sorted by the time you get one..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi,Make sure, if you do decide to buy one, that the Average MPG display is working correctly.
If not, its your decision to buy and wait for a fix. May take a while !

·
Registered
119 Posts
I too have the 1.5 diesel and it's the best gearbox I've ever driven. It's smooth and responsive and you won't regret it. I never got to test drive mine but that didn't worry me. I drive it for the first time and fell in love with it.

You also get up to 61.1mpg. Well I'm currently on that at the moment anyway :)

Welcome to club if you get one :)

·
Registered
863 Posts
cant fault mine very smooth gearbox.plus mpg excellent even when not in eco mode. I was surprised first diesel I have had and when not in eco mode quite nifty.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the comments- very useful.

Test drove the manual diesel today and was very impressed- more pull than I expected and the handling was excellent. My local dealer has an auto now coming in as a demonstrator later in the week, so glad I have experienced the manual- if the auto is good then I will definately be placing an order!

Incidentally the test car had no 29.9 mpg issue!

All being well next week, it will be choosing the colour combination that will be the hardest part... Arizona body/blak roof or Tahoe blue/black roof!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a Tahoe Blue/black roof/auto! Love it! The auto box is one of the best I've ever experienced.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Any thoughts on colours? There are loads of combinations. The contours stand out when you get a coloured body. The R Link gives you access to the full range of features, it's a must have.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Try and have a look at the Medianav and the R link before you buy if you can. The Medianav is excellent, particularly with regard to iPod integration. I looked at both and decided that the Medianav gave me everything I wanted for £600 less. Whichever unit you choose it comes installed in a brilliant car!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Tyrfelin said:
Pleny of oomph in the dci manual box. Wouldn't want armrests - it's a car not a sofa!
Going to be sleeping in the back of mine on Friday. Going to watch Tour de France in Yorkshire dales. Roads are closed at 6 am, so I'll be there parked in the middle of a field at 4 am, but at least the boot lies flat! I must be mad!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just test driven the 2008 and wasn't impressed by the drive, but the interior was very plush- however I found I couldn't get comfortable in the drivers seat, even during the three hours we had the car!

If the auto diesel Captur is as good a drive as the manual, then we will be going for it.

As for colours, the Tahoe blue/black roof might get it I think!

I think the Medianav has everything I want really- I don't need the functionality of the R-Link (I can use my iPad for that!) and when I was at the Renault dealer, it seemed the Medianav responded faster to inputs, though that might have been my imagination.

Armrest definitely off the list now, thanks folks!Edited by: Marksailor

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sutty's blue captur said:
Tyrfelin said:
Pleny of oomph in the dci manual box. Wouldn't want armrests - it's a car not a sofa!
Going to be sleeping in the back of mine on Friday. Going to watch Tour de France in Yorkshire dales. Roads are closed at 6 am, so I'll be there parked in the middle of a field at 4 am, but at least the boot lies flat! I must be mad!!
I was supposed to be working at the York racecourse on the Sunday for the Tour, as the University is having a massive public engagement exhibition on the site, but seem to have managed to sneak out of it. However, I quite like the idea of sleeping in the car... Not done that since my old BX years ago!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Went to the London Olympics. Car park didn't open til 6, we were there at 3. Tried to get some sleep, but it was too small. Loads of room in this car. Going to have to leave my house at 2am, not be home til at least 6pm. That's about 36 hrs without sleep. The day after we are going to walk from Todmorden to Cragg Vale for day 2. Only 3 miles, but add in 1 mile straight up, catching the train back to the car.
Edited by: Sutty's blue captur

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've got the Tahoe blue / black roof, 1.5d manual and it's a good drive, will say that there's a difference with power between Eco and normal.
I've seen 1 stone/ black roof but I haven't seen the oyster and mercury. I think they would look good with the black roof. I've yet to see any with the design on the bodywork.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts