Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my other half has decided she'd like a Captur so I thought I'd sign up and ask for some advice and opinions.

We are still talking a couple of months away at the very soonest so I wanted to gauge people's opinions on the car in general and if there are any major flaws or no go areas.

Our budget isn't big so it'll need to be towards the earlier models.

It has to be a manual but she's not fussed on petrol or diesel so id just like to know if any of the engines are a big no no. It'd be doing maybe...6,000 miles a year but we'd both be using it and I'm aware diesels need to be used properly from time to time to keep in good health.

I've driven a Clio with the 0.9 engine and found it very nice to use but obviously that wasn't living with it. Again, I've driven the 1.5 diesel in many guises but didn't know if there was a particular version etc that should be avoided.

Our budget won't stretch to a 1.2 which seems to have been added more recently.

She's coming from many years with a Peugeot 107 which to be fair has been a very good and reliable car. I just don't want things to change rapidly if we get one of these....

Thank you very much, sorry it's non specific. Any advice would be much appreciated. I'll also have a check of the forum more now.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I will try to give a broader answer as I can, some like others all other manufactured cars have problems with their cars and the Captur is no different in that respect.

I have a 2015 1.5 diesel Captur the only problem I have had over the last five years is a window regulator that required replacement under warranty, Also had one warning on the cruise control that self rectified. .

It needs a good 20 miles run every month due to it being a diesel as I only do shortish trips.

Some members have had to replace cv joints/drive shafts also the clutch and flywheel on older models have had to be replaced this is mainly due to Renault fitting a dual mass flywheel.

Some other make of cars also have the dual mass flywheel clutch design.

So the thing to look out for on older models is clutch judder and possibly cv joints
clicking when cornering hard.

Most of the electrical faults are due to battery, it reports many different problems but rectify when the battery is replaced

Renault customer service is poor and expensive, so as many jobs you can do at a none
main agent will save you a great deal.

Parts from motor factors are not that expensive but are from main agents

The petrol models have a cam chain and the diesels have a cam belt.

Other members will inform you on the petrol models.

·
Super Moderator
2,456 Posts
If you are looking at the 0.9 petrol, test drive first as many (including me) find it underpowered, and consequently thirsty as you're continually having to wring its neck to make reasonable progress.

Diesels and the dreaded DPF issue: We've not had any issues with ours despite it not getting many "Long" drives, Renault are reported to have found a way round the issue that many other manufacturers suffer from, in terms of keeping the DPF unclogged, and I wish I knew what they have done! Reliability woes: Not had any myself, and the Captur replaced a 1998 Scenic owned from new which as also a paragon of reliability until it got quite old and a few things failed through wearing out. One word of warning though: Spares are generally somewhat expensive for a mass-produced "family" car

·
Registered
943 Posts
I wouldn't advise anyone to buy a Captur, I loved mine when I first bought it. But the problems it gave ( above mentioned )at considerable low mileage, soon made me get rid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Captur 1.5 dci 90 from 2016 and still no problems.

But the milage is very low.... about 20km/L ... not impressed

·
Registered
10 Posts
Captur 1.5 dci 90 from 2016 and still no problems.

But the milage is very low.... about 20km/L ... not impressed
Hi all, my other half has decided she'd like a Captur so I thought I'd sign up and ask for some advice and opinions.

We are still talking a couple of months away at the very soonest so I wanted to gauge people's opinions on the car in general and if there are any major flaws or no go areas.

Our budget isn't big so it'll need to be towards the earlier models.

It has to be a manual but she's not fussed on petrol or diesel so id just like to know if any of the engines are a big no no. It'd be doing maybe...6,000 miles a year but we'd both be using it and I'm aware diesels need to be used properly from time to time to keep in good health.

I've driven a Clio with the 0.9 engine and found it very nice to use but obviously that wasn't living with it. Again, I've driven the 1.5 diesel in many guises but didn't know if there was a particular version etc that should be avoided.

Our budget won't stretch to a 1.2 which seems to have been added more recently.

She's coming from many years with a Peugeot 107 which to be fair has been a very good and reliable car. I just don't want things to change rapidly if we get one of these....

Thank you very much, sorry it's non specific. Any advice would be much appreciated. I'll also have a check of the forum more now.
2016 0.9tce 21.000 on clock had no problems,nippy round town economical on a run can recommend a Cappy

·
Registered
175 Posts
Happy with mine but previous car was a Scenic so this is a BIG reduction in carrying capacity. We have a medium size dog but she isn't complaining but no space any longer for four people with their luggage. Ours has been reliable but cars nowadays are too complex. The Captur is no better or worse than the others. If you are handy yourself you will find Renault appear to be very protective of their designs and some info is not easy to find. My dislikes are the medianav system and the lack of internal storage. The advice above is good. CV joints and drive shafts are not a big deal but check for clutch judder on the manuals. Electrics can be a PITA so make sure you have a good battery and no obvious signs of water damage anywhere.

·
Super Moderator
2,456 Posts
^
Further to my post from yesterday, my 2014 Captur replaced a 1998 Mk i Scenic.... exterior dimensions are almost exactly the same (length, width and height) but the Captur is much smaller inside and nothing like as versatile, a big backward step in so many ways but "that's progress" due partly to legislation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for your advice:) Regarding the comments about space, my version of that is having a Xsara Picasso, then getting a C3 Picasso which was a very similar size...but much less practical in real world use. Liked them both, though.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Even though my 2015 dci90 has behaved very well, I would not buy a second hand Captur. If you want reliability buy Japanese or South Korean. South Korean cars have long, transferable warranties

·
Registered
2 Posts
Even though my 2015 dci90 has behaved very well, I would not buy a second hand Captur. If you want reliability buy Japanese or South Korean. South Korean cars have long, transferable warranties
I am in the same boat as the OP. I started my search looking for a reliable Japanese car. But I didn't find any with a feature set comparable to the Captur - in my budget. I can buy a Yaris or a worn out Jazz in the budget in which I can buy a fairly new Captur.
Any suggestions on recommended Jap/SK cars welcome.

·
Registered
175 Posts
In my experience the second most dangerous thing in the world is to ask for advice in buying a car.......

...............The most dangerous thing is to give it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I did have a bit of a run away moment. However, the Captur remains an option. Was leaning towards the petrol but my partners commute may rise by quite a bit next year so the better mpg and longer journeyness of the diesel would be better.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
This was something I considered, my thoughts were,

THE CONS
The new diesels are approx £1000 more costly to buy, also the new diesels have to add adblue approx £10 a gal this will increase the running costs yes only by a little.

It is a little more costly to service at Renault main agents for diesels

The fuel is 3 pence a ltr more expensive at present

Diesels need a 20 mile run every now and then, lots of short runs are it’s enemy.

What is this governments approach to transport in the near future? I think they will financially go after diesels first.

More documentation required on the continent

THE PROS
I found my diesel returns between 50 to 65 mpg subject to weather conditions.
It was very reliable It is one of the best cars I have owned , pulls well and not to noisy.

Would I have another YES,

PETROL
A petrol car can be less reliable overall

I am hoping to move over myself to the 1.3 petrol soon due to doing short journeys .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you. That's a bit more positive :) I work for a garage group so I generally get a better deal on parts / labour than the typical customer But yes, that's to bear in mind, thank you.

At the moment her commute is under 10 miles but it will likely be increasing to approx 20 miles each way. So that is kinda angling me more towards that.
I will keep looking around the forum. I've also just remembered, I have a friend of a friend who has a Captur dci so I'll ask her how it's been.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts