Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've figured out most things about my new car, even the R-Link email thingeyis hopefully being sorted now I've spoken to someone who asked me for my VIN number and based on that figured out that the discovery package hadn't been activated by the dealeryet. Hoping it soon will be. I'll keep you posted!
I like to listen to the radio while I am driving, and today I wanted to use the GPS, and have the radio OFF so I could listen to the voice on the GPS, also my husband doesn't like the radio and he was a passenger. For the LIFE of me I couldn't figure out how to get the radio to turn off whilst leaving the navigation on!!

Anyone? It seems ridiculous that I can't work this out!!

Ruthie

·
Registered
168 Posts
Not sure about turning it off on the R-Link, but if you turn the volume down on the radio the nav system shouldstay at the volume it was.
This also applies to the nav system, if you alter the volume while it is talking, it onlyalters the nav system

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you're saying basically there's NO way to turn off the radio itself, just the volume? How nuts is that or are we missing something? I'm pleased that turning down the radio volume won't turn down the nav volume, I did worry about that happening.

·
Registered
168 Posts
No, I'm saying I don't know
we have the media-nav.
I'm sure someone will be along who has an R-Link, just thought that in the meantime adjusting the volume may help

·
Registered
924 Posts
The R-link and the Medianav are classified as "infotainment" systems. The are actually computers, not independent satnav and radio. Satnav, radio, and media players (and for R-link the other systems) are Apps. Apps or applications operate all the time when the infotainment system is working. Whilst apps on computers and tablets can be forced to stop. The infotainment system does not permit the user to do so. In a way there is no hardship in leaving the apps running. Some apps on the R-link system have to run all the time anyway, in order for the system to provide information, like driving style indicator.
Please don't get "hung up" about leaving the radio on, this really is not a problem. There is no additional drain on the battery, nor loading on the infotainment system. Besides if the apps are running, then they areready foryour immediate use, at the touch of a button. Make full use of the volume controls to adjust the volume of the individual systems. You will soon get used to it. Honest.

Edited by: crossbow

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's fine. I just worried if I turned the radio volume down, it would turn the voice on the nav system down too. So where IS the volume for the satnav then? I think I've more or less figured out where the radio volume is.. there's a stick on the steering wheel, right?

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you pull both (up and down) of the volume switches on the stalk up at the same time it mutes the radio, thats the way I do it. The Sat nav remains audible.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ruthie Pearlman said:
That's fine. I just worried if I turned the radio volume down, it would turn the voice on the nav system down too. So where IS the volume for the satnav then? I think I've more or less figured out where the radio volume is.. there's a stick on the steering wheel, right?
The buttons behind the wheel control all functions, but only while there is sound coming from that function...ie to control the nav system, operate the buttons while it is talking to you

alans220 said:
If you pull both (up and down) of the volume switches on the stalk up at the same time it mutes the radio, thats the way I do it. The Sat nav remains audible.
I tried that, but it didn't seem to work for me, perhaps it didn't recognize the roundabout I was approaching<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Adjust the volume on the touch screen on the r link when the map is displayed on the right hand side of the picture screen...there is an icon for it, and then tbe volume conttol shows up on a slider bar...adjust to your liking, and when you mute your radio on the steering wheel it will retain the sat nav level.

·
Super Moderator
2,742 Posts
With any radio that has RDS, it's always better to leave it on with the volume turned down, rather than turn it off. This way it updates the radio frequencies as you drive, so if you do want to listen, the station frequencies are already updated to where you are, rather than the radio having to seek them out when you turn it on

·
Registered
924 Posts
IvorETower reminded me. With the radio turned to zero volume, then the traffic announcements will still come through, if you have selected to have traffic announcements. TA is always useful. If you could turn off the radio, then there would be no TAs.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Venro01,
Doing what you suggest does indeed mute the infotainment system. However, I think you will find that is mutes all sound, not just the radio. Pulling the two paddles towards you and releasing them, is not the same as using one paddle to turn down the volume to zero.

·
Registered
924 Posts
venro01 said:
The volume paddles work on whatever is playing at that moment.So turning down the guiding voice f.i.
Indeed they do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes I did think of selecting an alternative source without actually having one; that should do it.
As to pausing my media; how can I pause live radio, exactly?

But certainly muting the sound on the radio doesn't affect the guide voice. I experimented yesterday when driving hubby to and from hospital. Some hospital I'd never been to before, and the satnav took me there. Eventually.It's quite uninventive though. But I guess most satnavs are. They can't think of a shortcut to anywhere.

Still waiting to have my discovery pack activated in order to get email working. Now apparently I have to go to my nearest Renault dealer to have that done. The thing is...what IS my discovery pack? Do I have it, and if so, where?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm confused by this, I had a little experiment yesterday, I put a sat nav destination in and also had radio on, with the radio screen on I used both buttons to mute, the sat nav voice also muted. I tried the same thing on the sat nav screen and again it muted both the voices, so I'm totally confused now, guess I'll just have to choose usb without anything in the machine.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts