Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to lock doors from outside when engine running? I want to lock car and just walk 100 meters away for a 5 minutes... Is it possible to close lock doors? I've trying to do it by pressing door button and also pressing buttons on remote - no reaction :(

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
You are not allowed to leave your car unattended and running. My last three Renaults couldn't be locked from outside with the engine running! Sorry!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Might be a silly question Telmahbut why would you want to leave the car running for 5 minutes when your 100 metres away??............... keep it warm?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I started the car the other morning to heat it up and after 2 mins iwalked away without thinking. The missus got in the car thinking I had left the key in the Card Slot.

Needless to say as she drove 5 metres from the house and the car cut out she wasn't too happy.

TBH this could be a fun game !! lol

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Frosly, it's -20 degrees outside from the morning and a little snow, i just need to make car a little warmer and put away snow from the way :)

btw. The engine with this car is very cold - a minus temperature is inside also when you driving 5 - 7 minutes... only after this it's a little warmer... Fast deicing not working within this temperatures :(

·
Registered
306 Posts
I knew it was a silly question
its colder than my freezer!!

Seriously would Renault tell you what the design limitations are of the heater installed as it will have one and my guess is it wont be that low

I take it you are using it on full recirc so no cold air is entering the car?

·
Registered
306 Posts
You need to make sure the button below the 'A/C OFF' button is pressed too. Its got 3 circular arrows on it. It wont make any difference to the set point but it just means no outside air will come into the car so the heater will work better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just picked up new Captur yesterday and had this as a main objective to find out how you could run car with locked doors. Ice in morning needs a running engine before I'll sit in it. Nice and defrosted / nice and warm.
Anyway cutting a long story short.........enter vehicle and leave drivers door open. Press central locking switch for five second which locks all doors. Keep door open. Put key card in slot and switch on engine. Remove keycard with engine running. Leave car and shut driver door. All locked and car running. You cannot re-enter car with card or remote unlocking. You need to use manual key in passenger door to open. Open passenger door which centrally unlocks all other doors. Bit of a hassle but works. Why can they just let the key card work or enableremote locking [without deadlock]like other cars. Having said that great car.

·
Super Moderator
2,417 Posts
"Why they can't...."
Because it's illegal.
You are not allowed to leave the engine running and leave the car.

As has already been said in this thread.

If you want a nice warm car before setting off (and can park outside your home), get an electric fan heater and an extension lead. Make sure that the fan heater is placed on something non-combustible - eg parcel shelf, and run the power cable and extension lead into your house. Plug into mains electricity and turn on 10 mins to half an hour before you want to drive off; melts the frost too.

Just be careful when closing the car door onto the lead that you don't damage it - lower edge of tailgate seal is probably the best place to do this with the Captur.

Edited by: IvorETower

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
BMWs also have a trick where you can leave engine running and lock the car, but you can also remove the key.

1 get in and close door
2 put key in, press clutch and press start button
3 keep foot on clutch, press stop and remove key
4 still foot on clutch press start
5 get out of car lock and walk away

Used to use this all the time on cold mornings.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Captur_scott, it must be very cold where you live, for you to have the patience to do this in the mornings!
My Captur is a real cocoon. Start engine and she warms up (with air con on, temp at 22) very quickly. I have heated seats, but only used them once to check they worked!
MelEdited by: Armelle

·
Registered
5 Posts
My other car; BMW; even easier. - just start, walk out and press the lock button - all locked - no keys left. Leather seats a bit cold also so need the car seat heater on too........ until I drive off that is.

Anyway back to legalities. Didn't realise it but does appear in The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986. Reg 98 is about noise - not really an issue with new cars but I suppose you could argue anyway paragraph does not apply "so as to prevent the examination or working of the machinery where the
examination is necessitated by any failure or derangement of the machinery" ie. cant work properly due to ice'd windows. 2nd condition Reg 107. extract ........person shall leave, or cause or permit to be left, on a road a motor vehicle..... important point here is wording "on a road" Hey Ho. on my drive so ok here too.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Don't like the idea of having to leave a key inside the Captur, even if it is locked.
Too many insurance implications.
At least with my BMW I could leave it running without a key in it.
So if it got nicked I could show the insurance I still had both keys and I could plead ignorance about how they managed to start it.

·
Registered
818 Posts
No mine is diesel! Maybe I don't feel the cold as much... But compared to my old Nissan, the Captur is ... tropical!
I agree about dangers of leaving key in car! You do not know who is lurking around, even if you live in the best area of UK.
Mel

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi guys, there is no need to leave keys in Captur when on and locked.
open car normally but leave drivers door OPEN. Keep open through whole process. press central locking for 5 seconds. All doors lock but as drivers door is open you can still get out. If you press for less than 5 secs it will automatically unlock doors again. Remember to keep drivers door open through whole process. Put key card into slot and press start stop with foot on clutch/brake to start as normal. REMOVE keycard with car still running and stick in pocket. Leave car and shut door. Voila. Car on- doors locked - and key with you not in car.

To open you must use manual key [which pulls out the card] in the left door. Open door and all doors are unlocked.

Looks as though there is a legal point but if on drive it should be ok. Only an Environment noise issue to consider then. No more environmentally sensitive than driving with a frosted up car or spaying loads of de-icer.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Why go to all that trouble? With the fan full on, the car should not take more than 5minutes to warm up. Don't be a bunch of sissies !

·
Registered
818 Posts
Maybe Renault could pair up with British Gas and sort a Hive system for the next generation of Capturs! If this happens, I want royalties!!!

Mel

1 - 20 of 23 Posts