Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish to say most sincere sorry to all the Capture owners who were thinking of buying spare wheel and I very blithely said "But when did you last have a puncture? I had last one over 20 years ago and drive thousands of miles each year in some weird places"

Well,someone was listening and showed me that too much complacency is never good; today, one mile from home, I had a puncture. The strangest thing was that to start with I was not even aware that my tyre was flat. I was aware of very muffled gentle thump, thump and only when I was able to stop, did I find out what was going on. The fact that my speed was only about 20 mph probably helped.

I was in the car park opposite local MotoSave and hotfooted it there to ask them to see to my tyre. Guys came over, jacked the car up, took the wheel off and into the workshop - and quoted me £140 for the Michelin Premacy 3tyre that would arrive in the morning. They insisted that the repair is not possible as I had driven on it for about 1/2 mile. I went across the road to KwikFit who came, took the wheel over to their workshop and did a quote for £120 for a Goodyear. When I asked why it could not be repaired they said "Yes, it can" Then they repaired puncture for £25

Note to self: never be too complaisant and always read info about your goods. Michelin Premacy 3 is "run flat" tyre allowing up to 50 mile travel after punctureat 50 miles or lessan hour without damage to tyre structure

The young guys at MotoSave saw a woman of certain age and decided to educate me....

·
Super Moderator
2,380 Posts
I've had a few bad experiences with punctures in my time, hence I won't buy a car with a bottle of gunge; has to be some sort of spare, ideally a full-sized wheel and tyre, but as a minimum a space-saver.

For example: Imagine you are in France on holiday heading for home, 2 hours and 100 miles to go to catch your ferry back to England, 5-up full of luggage and you hit debris on the motorway that tears a hole in the tyre... on a Sunday. With a full-size spare, it's a minor inconvenience. With no spare and repair sealant you are stranded until the tyre places re-open on the Monday morning (and you also need help taking the damaged wheel/tyre off the car, transporting it to the tyre place etc etc)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Not all Michelin Primacy 3 tyre models are run flats. Are you sure the ones on your car are? Renault would not normally offer a spare wheel option if they fitted run flat tyres to their cars.

·
Registered
863 Posts
vbl I have always had a spare.until I bought a capture and did not go for the spare option.first week I was away for the weekend come out of hotel and front offside flat.luckily AA came and said that I had a screw in the tread pumped it up and took me to kwik fit.who said they can repair it.got home went to a tyre place near me who done me a brand new alloy and part worn for 100 pounds.so now got spare. got to find a jack that will fit a capture but if I call out AA again at least I have got a full size spare to fit.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perusal said:
Not all Michelin Primacy 3 tyre models are run flats. Are you sure the ones on your car are? Renault would not normally offer a spare wheel option if they fitted run flat tyres to their cars.
Checked with atseuromaster when got home as I need to be sure of the tyre, going on a long journey next week

·
Registered
4 Posts
I must have been lucky because I didn't order a spare but got one anyway. Salesman even commented when I picked up the car.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I ordered a spare in my Captur for this very reason, among others. As my wife and new born will eventually be using the car, once I get it, I didn't want them caught out. I also like the current Renault deal where by you get 4 years AA Roadside Assist.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My previous car didn't have a spare wheel. My wife mounted the kerb, punctured the tyre and dented the wheel. Because she had dented the wheel there was nothing I could do but call out the AA.
I managed to wangle a free spare when I bought my Captur.

·
Registered
588 Posts
was never not an option for me to not get a spare as where i work around 3 ppl a year suffer from puncutures going up the works road...and id also heard using the tyre gunge can cause damage resulting in the puncture being un-repairable. tbh though i worry about everything so for peace of mind i always get a spare with my cars lol

·
Registered
209 Posts
Vbl said:
Checked with atseuromaster when got home as I need to be sure of the tyre, going on a long journey next week
Are you saying that the tyre they have fitted is definitely a run flat? If the other three tyres are not run flats then this might affect the car's handling since run flats have got reinforced side walls (which hold firm in the event of a puncture) and are renowned for giving a slightly firmer ride. Thing is, if you have a run flat on one side and a standard tyre on the other side they might have differing performance characteristics.

I'm no expert and could be totally wrong but having checked our Captur after seeing this thread I know the Primacy 3 tyres on our car are NOT run flats.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I ordered a spare about 3 weeks after getting the car as the car I wanted was in stock but didn't have the spare wheel option, but I only ordered the tyre / wheel and brace. Already have a jack - it just gives you so much peace of mind, that in the worst case scenario, you can get home. Well worth the money.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Perusal, yes, there seems to besome issue with the tyres on my car. Guys at the large tyre place up the road were surprised that one tyre was run flat (that was why I was immediatelyunaware that I had a flat - and I was also only doing about 20mph in town) as the car has three normal tyres and no tyre pressure monitor. They reckon dealership had a puncture, had one spare odd tyre and just put it on. They also think that it was taken off another vehicle asit is similar but not the same. As the car was ex-demo it might have had a puncture and they had to get it ready ... I was told by the salesman couple of weeks after I got the car when Itelephoned about some paperwork, that it was probably lost as the car was out at sales manager's the weekend before I collected it

The secret lives of ex-demo cars

·
Registered
308 Posts
Vbl said:
Perusal, yes, there seems to besome issue with the tyres on my car. Guys at the large tyre place up the road were surprised that one tyre was run flat (that was why I was immediatelyunaware that I had a flat - and I was also only doing about 20mph in town) as the car has three normal tyres and no tyre pressure monitor. They reckon dealership had a puncture, had one spare odd tyre and just put it on. They also think that it was taken off another vehicle asit is similar but not the same. As the car was ex-demo it might have had a puncture and they had to get it ready ... I was told by the salesman couple of weeks after I got the car when Itelephoned about some paperwork, that it was probably lost as the car was out at sales manager's the weekend before I collected it

The secret lives of ex-demo cars
I'm confused about TPMS...surely if its not fitted on one tyre it should alarm???or have I read it wrong...and how do you know you have TPMS?

·
Registered
215 Posts
sometimes one spare is not enough
my now ex wife many moons ago around xmas time decided to take our audi 100 to see a house down in airdrie ,,,,,dalziels the bakers that was decked out in emas lights , this was back in the early 90,s long before it became fashionable to deck your house out with xmas lights from top to bottom
dalziel was a millionaire and his house was always astounding at xmas time
on the way down my ex his a brick that was lying on the road , blew out 1 tyre, she then lost control and hit the kerb blowing the other front tyre out . luckily my mate had his own garage at the time and drove out , took both tyres off, put the spare on and took the other to his garage where he put a part worn on the other rim for her before returning to the car, cost me a good few beers otherwise it could have been a costly exercise calling out the breakdown wagon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts