Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys...need some advice regarding "Important system update" I've just downloaded from the toolbox. As my 90 days are up tomorrow I thought I would just check to see if Q2 13 had been updated. I formated my stick & took a system fingerprint..opened navi toolbox on my laptop and before I had a chance to log in up came the important system update message. Does this mean the toolbox had read my fingerprint and automatically found the relevant update for my captur?? I have already got the free map update and purchased the full postcode upgrade...my infotainment systems works flawlessly and I'm delighted with it so I don't want to mess it up by upgrading the system with something I don't know what it is or for??!!?? Any one had similar recently?? Would really appreciate some advice on this before I do anything I may come to regret!!! Cheers guys.
meterman_56

·
Registered
46 Posts
Where IT is concerned I always say if it isn't broke don't try to fix it. If everything is working OK it's best to leave it. Quite often when IT is ungraded there is something called a 'Change Log' this outlines what changes and improvements have been made. If you can find that it might give you a clue whether it's worth installing the update. If you can't find it just leave things as they are.:)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They were my thoughts also BigPete..the thing that threw me was the "Important System update" not map update which was what I was initially looking for.. Will wait to see if anyone else can throw some light on it.
meterman_56

·
Registered
46 Posts
It might be important to them. They may have changed the software to stop people hacking it. There are lots of reasons why software developers make changes, often it's so that new hardware works with the system, this could be a certain type of USB stick or a modification to be able to read larger drives etc. 'Important' isn't always what it seems. If it was going to seriously affect the use of your MediaNav then the software writers would be obliged to prove a free update/fix. Relax and enjoy what you've got. If you decide at a later date to say update your maps then the software would also update the other software you need too.

:)

Edited by: BigPete

·
Registered
924 Posts
I have been in IT for years, and whilst I sympathise with the if it ain't broke then don't fix it. Sometimes updates can be for all sorts of reasons; from security to bug fixes and performance enhancements.

If you are concerned about what the update contains, ask Renault Medianav services for an update manifest. This will list the issues and improvements that are in the update.

If it is the 4.0.3 update, and you do wish to update, DO follow the instructions exactly. I attempted to update to 4.0.3 on 23rdApriland my MediaNav "bricked". Renault customer services attempted to help, but the attempt did not work. I then asked the forum members here, for help. They were very quick to respond, but none of the suggestions were of help either. Renault suggested that I take the vehicle to the dealer, and get the dealer to use the dealer technical helpdesk. That failed too.

The upshot was that because I had followed the instructions and advice I was given "to the letter", that the Medianav unit will be replaced FOC.
However, the lead time on a replacement unit is 5 - 10 working days. This is day 7, and I am still waiting for a call.

Edited by: crossbow

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought of you crossbow...thats why "update" is still unused on the stick..didn't want to take a chance and "brick" my unit..
meterman_56

·
Registered
38 Posts
Did mine the weekend, from 4.0.2 to 4.0.3. No idea what it was for , as stated important update, I to. Was just looking for map updates, it confirmed the update after sitting there for about 10 mins. (engine running, tried before that and the nav screen switched off mid update so I put the power on)No noticeable changes, and has ran all week ok.

Could it be just a run of gps fixes for the next 6 months?
G

·
Registered
84 Posts
This update does seem to of made the stuttering of music playback through Bluetooth better... although it has not completely fixed it. I suspect this might of been the Update Renault were going to roll out to fix this issue as it was in line with the schedule information they provided when I first registered the issue with them.The sad news, being that if this was that fix.... it has not fully worked... hence I suspect it may now never get sorted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts