Renault Captur Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my wife captur is a 2016 model with 23000 Mile in the clock. It hasn’t been used for a while as she had covid and was in hospital for months. She home and we started using the car again and a management light came on the first day.
I took it to Renaults and they said it need
a new air intake sensor but they didn’t have one and we would need to bring the car back in the New Years. The approx cost was over £300 with reprogramming????!

Question are they talking about a MAP sensor? and If so what’s stopping me replacing it with one from euro parts for £40 or eBay for about the same amount?

your assist would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I would rule out the car battery first if it has been left standing for that long. It is probably five years old. At minimum it needs a full charge, then a good run. MAP and temperature are the two intake sensors - £300 seems excessive. I'm not sure why it would need reprogramming. Seriously, a bad battery can cause unwanted warning lights. An old battery that hasn't been charged will not be in good condition. I'm surprised the car even started after a few months. Is the car still running OK? Not in limp mode? Did the garage do a diagnostic? What were the fault codes?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would rule out the car battery first if it has been left standing for that long. It is probably five years old. At minimum it needs a full charge, then a good run. MAP and temperature are the two intake sensors - £300 seems excessive. I'm not sure why it would need reprogramming. Seriously, a bad battery can cause unwanted warning lights. An old battery that hasn't been charged will not be in good condition. I'm surprised the car even started after a few months. Is the car still running OK? Not in limp mode? Did the garage do a diagnostic? What were the fault codes?
Hi thanks for you reply, Renaults didn’t say anything about the battery, in fact I asked about it and was told it’s alright, yes £99 for a diagnostics, they haven’t recorded the code but wrote inlet manifold sensor faulty and reprogram injection computer?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi thanks for you reply, Renaults didn’t say anything about the battery, in fact I asked about it and was told it’s alright, yes £99 for a diagnostics, they haven’t recorded the code but wrote inlet manifold sensor faulty and reprogram injection computer?
When I Google inlet manifold sensor MAP sensors come up, is this the same thing?

·
Registered
732 Posts
It is, yes, but eBay parts are often misleading. You need to match exactly the part number and even EuroParts have been known to get this wrong. A Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor measures how much air is entering the engine intake. It reads both low pressure (closed throttle) and higher pressure (e.g possible leaks or an open throttle) and delivers that data to the ECU (electronic control unit) which determines how much fuel to meter out at any given time. I'm still not sure why they need to reprogram the injection computer though. There will also be a temperature sensor somewhere.
The problem with dealers nowadays is that cars have become so complicated that mechanics are trained to respond to diagnostic codes and not to really understand what is going on. The bottom line is that these codes are not always specific enough to narrow down the problem. My approach would be to question what might have been caused by leaving the car unused for so long and the battery is at the top of that list. Sorry if I am talking out of my backside but it all comes down to how well you trust your mechanic. If the fault is not affecting performance and the battery is good (did it really survive the lack of use for months) I would charge it and run it for a while and see what happens.
Once you have done that, find a friend who can clear the fault codes and see if they come back. Sorry, it's difficult to be more specific. To be honest, if I planned to keep the car for a couple more years I would invest in a new battery anyway. Five to six years is about the average for a battery these days and the cost is not much more than a full tank of fuel at today's prices.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your advice. It all makes sense, we will consider a new battery as a matter of course and do as you mentioned. Happy new year to you.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Honestly I don't know. But I would think not if it is an equivalent part. It is only a pressure sensor. Never know with Renault

·
Super Moderator
3,013 Posts
First thing I would do is charge your battery up using a decent charger designed for the type of battery. A few years back I invested in a CTEK "smart charger"; becasue of lockdown my cars have had sporadic use and nothing like as much overall use as in previous years. I've currently got my Fiesta's battery going through the "reconditioning" programme which worked wonders on the battery of my other Ford, immediately restoring the stop-start function that had not previously worked for the best part of a year. I've had issues with a succession of warning messages on my Captur when the original battery got towards the end of its life, and similarly my mum's car threw up a lot of strange warnings and errors when its battery got low becasue she was hardly driving it due to illness.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi my wife captur is a 2016 model with 23000 Mile in the clock. It hasn’t been used for a while as she had covid and was in hospital for months. She home and we started using the car again and a management light came on the first day.
I took it to Renaults and they said it need
a new air intake sensor but they didn’t have one and we would need to bring the car back in the New Years. The approx cost was over £300 with reprogramming????!

Question are they talking about a MAP sensor? and If so what’s stopping me replacing it with one from euro parts for £40 or eBay for about the same amount?

your assist would be greatly appreciated.
I agree charge that battery my daughters car had brake warning light and stop it was a battery needed charging

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree charge that battery my daughters car had brake warning light and stop it was a battery needed charging
I have changed the battery so let’s see what happen in a few days to see if any warning lights come back on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts