Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my 20,000 mile Captur flashed up with STOP - Braking System Failure in the middle of nowhere and in the dark. I pulled over, and the message disappeared, and there appears to be no problem with the brakes.
After doing some research on this forum last night it appears to be a common Captur fault.
The same message also flashed up again this morning, again for less than 30 seconds.
I checked my brake fluid reservoir and either it's very difficult to see the level, or I'm in trouble and it's nearly empty. So I guess my question is how safe is it to top up your own brake fluid? (There are all sorts of warnings on the cap). If it's okay to do where would I buy brake fluid? (Halfords?), and are there different types (like coolant)?
I know I probably need to go to the dealer, but there's not one close to home or work, so the earliest I'll be able to do that is next Monday.

The car was checked in the summer for the known issue on the recall for brake hoses/wheel arch issue, so hopefully it's not that issue.

Can anyone help?

Why is this such a common problem?

·
Super Moderator
2,301 Posts
Can't say I have come across it as a common problem.
Of course you can top up the brake fluid yourself but don't over-fill it and wipe any spillage off immediately using plenty of water, and make sure you wash your hands thoroughly afterwards.
What fluid to use? Check and see what type is required, probably "dot 4" or "dot 5" from memory.

The fluid level will go down slightly over time as the brake pads wear but any leak or sudden drop in level should be investigated immediately

·
Registered
67 Posts
If your brake fluid level has gone down that much perhaps you ought to check your brake pads - they may need replacing - remember these items are consumables - you do not have to go a Renault dealer to have them checked or replaced, just be sure that replacements are oe quality.

·
Registered
10 Posts
my Captur is doing the same thing. Brake System Fault will flash up(with a loud beep) but last literally 5 seconds and go out. no problem with brakes in use. no pattern to when it happens (i.e under heavy braking) just seems to happen. sometimes 3-4 times, sometimes never.
It feels like it could be electrical gremlins, but im no mechanic!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had the same problem four times in past two and a half years.Each time it was returned to dealer, each time they reported "diagnostic test could find no problem". On one occasion I took it back with the engine still running and message still showing, as requested by them, still unable to diagnose a fault. It happened again yesterday and another trip to dealer, same outcome.The workshop manager even suggested that the problem might never get resolved
I have reported matter to Renault UK who seemed surprised the dealership had not escalated the issue to them, they will now investigate - but I will not be holding my breath.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
There's something amiss in the design of the car if brake pad wear means the fluid goes down to such a level that it activates a warning.
There should be enough leeway in the brake fluid level to accommodate fully worn or brand new pads.
I'll be doing pads soon in our Captur, might do discs at the same time.
Only around £100 for EBC discs and pads, which will easily match or even surpass the OE stuff in terms of quality.

·
Registered
741 Posts
wiggins said:
They haven't been re-called due to braking issues, they have been recalled as a few have been found to have had excessive rubbing from the wheel arch liners on the brake pipe due to an incorrectly fitted liner, I don't actually think any in the UK have had this issue, however some have been re-called and checked as a precaution.

It's old news anyway. Edited by: HTP99

·
Registered
123 Posts
Could be as simple as "brake pad wear warning system" has a corroded connection.
Often there is a wire from each brake pad connected to whatever in the car - idea is something in the brake pads gets grounded against a disk whenever a pad is worn out. Has been use for many years.
But simple faults could trip this system - perhaps one wire has been chafed and thus grounds the system randomly ?
But if your brake fluid reservoir is nearly empty - You got a problem !
And that problem is big enough to ground the car untill the problem is solved.
As allready mentioned in this thread - brake pad wear should not be enough to empty the reservoir.
If really empty (or close) - there is a major problem. Next thing could easily be a complete brake failure, so next Monday could be way too late.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same thing happened to me about 5 months ago. I called the RAC via Renault assistance. They topped up the brake fluid and I did not see the warning again until today. So I guess I will top it up again. Seems odd though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think this is a design issue although it is difficult to prove. Over the last year or so I have had this problem 3 times. Each time I have topped up the brake fluid and the problem goes away.I have had the car checked for brake fluid leaks and there are none.
I have had the brake pads checked and they are worn but nowhere near the minimum.

It seems that as the brake pads wear it displaces enough fluid to go below the minimum level, which makes the braking fault message appear.
I think in the next year or two Renault will see more and more of this. Whether they will fess up to the problem remains to be seen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have your engine running at 3000rpm by constantly pressing the accelerator pedal and at the same time press constantly the brakes pedal. The red indicator with the French key will lit and a warning to check the braking system will be displayed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts