Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a bit of a problem with my iPod. When I got my captur I plugged my iPod into the USB and played music. I then updated the rlink using the sd card and now I can't get my iPod to work. It recognises that there is something plugged in but I can't select it in the multimedia menu. The USB icon is blacked out. Anyone having the same problem?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Bezza,You are not alone. I'm having the exact same issue. It was working, but now R-Link will not connect to either my ipod classic or iphone 5. Was working before I updated the SD card. Very annoying, have you got anywhere with the problem?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope mine still don't work. I've resorted to using a USB flash drive. It's not perfect because it looses connection every now and then.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've got mine working again. I did a system reset back to factory settings and it seems to fixed the fault/glitch. Only downside is that it wiped my apps, so had to re-install them, which took an age, but so far so good. It may be worth you giving that a go.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Mine started playing again yesterday when I went out. Would not connect to iphone via usb. All I got was a banner saying connection lost, then connected, then lost, in a continual loop.It got me thinking. I had a similar issue with an aftermarket Parrot bluetooth / usb system in my old Megane Tourer. The manual said it could not connect to a usb source that had been left connected after the system had been switched off and then switched on again. After that, I used to disconnect the ipod before turning the Parrot on. I'd wait for the system to boot up, then connect the ipod and then it worked perfectly.
This morning, I turned on the r-Link, waited for it to boot up and connect to the iphone blutooth. I then connected the iphone to the USB port and it connected and worked perfectly.
I guess the R-Link is basically a computer system. Maybe you just have to wait for it to boot up completely before attaching any peripherals? Who knows?
I'll keep my eye on it and update this thread accordingly.
John

·
Registered
110 Posts
Ok. Update ... It's not working again. Defying all my efforts. Stumped as to what to try now. Disappointing to say the least. Phone call to Renault I guess.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I done the factory reset and it seemed to work, but because the sd card was in the slot it downloaded the update then the iPod stopped working. I then plugged the card into my computer and it downloaded another update (or the same one?) and I applied it to the car and it seems to be working again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have this problem also, along with losing maps which is frustrating. Spoke to dealer after doing many factory resets who performed upgrade. This has not worked. Spoke t Renault HQ who admits there is a problem and are we working on a resolve, but no it sure when this will be. I am hassling them daily and have requested that once it has been sorted I would
Require a further 3 months free HD tom tom as I have not been able to use properly. I feel AN e mail to watchdog coming on

·
Registered
110 Posts
Morning folks,Just a thought.
This may be a red herring, but I've been using third party sync cables to connect my iphone 5 and ipod classic. I know apple have been fiddling with their software to prevent certain functions when not used with genuine apple cables. I tried both the iphone and ipod with genuine apple sync cables and both connected without issue and seemed to work as expected.

I'll see how things go and update.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Update: There was a herring, and it was red. My idea about third party sync cables was blown out of the water this morning when both iphone and iPod refused to connect via USB. After another system reset to factory settings I set about reading the R-Link manual. I went through it with a fine tooth comb and realised that there is no mention of iPod/iphone functionality via the USB connection. I'm wondering now if we have just been lucky in getting them to work previously. Maybe the USB connection is really only meant to read files from a USB stick? Who knows. Not me, that's for sure :) Anyway, I have decided to give up trying as it is starting to take the shine off my baby. I can live with Bluetooth music and can connect my ipod classic via the aux jack for longer trips just like I used to do with my old Megane Tourer.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I don't have r-link, but have MediaNav, so this may also be a scarlet sea-fish
, but I have had no problem using the "lightning" connection to the usb port. I get to use all the facilities one would expect on ITunes. I use an iPod nano. I have not used it on any long journeys, so am not familiar with the "dropping out" or connection issues.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks Crossbow. That will teach me for trying to be flash and getting the R-Link instead of sticking with the Media Nav. :) Seriously, though, does your Media Nav documentation specifically refer to ipod control? The R-Link doesn't and that leads me to think that it's not 'officially' supported by Renault or Apple. But like I said earlier, who knows?

·
Registered
924 Posts
The MediaNav system treats iPod quite differently from the USB flash drive I can also connect into the USB port.

The multimedia dropdown list includes the iPod as a separate entity from other USB-connected devices. In fact it handles iPod music better than flash-drive stuff. With flash drive music if you want MediaNav to shuffle across all your music you have to have a flat file structure, as it will not shuffle across folders. Whereas with iPod it uses the iTunes structures and services like genre, artist, songs.

Mind you R-link has many, many advantages. Not least live traffic services within the satnav. My old sat nav would use the traffic sensor data to develop alternative routes if the original route was running slow. Medianav selects a route, which have to like it or lump it. Traffic jams cannot be avoided on the fly like my old sat nav system in my previous car. I feel that this is a step backwards.

So stick with it. I am sure that the snags will be ironed out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Crossbowm thanks for that. There certainly is no facility to specifically choose the input source from the USB as ipod on the R-Link. It would nice if future updates catered for that, but I won't hold my breath.

·
Registered
110 Posts
guvnor34 said:
I have this problem also, along with losing maps which is frustrating. Spoke to dealer after doing many factory resets who performed upgrade. This has not worked. Spoke t Renault HQ who admits there is a problem and are we working on a resolve, but no it sure when this will be. I am hassling them daily and have requested that once it has been sorted I would
Require a further 3 months free HD tom tom as I have not been able to use properly. I feel AN e mail to watchdog coming on

Hi Guvnor34,
I'm fortunate, touch wood, in so far as losing maps goes. I have not come across this, ahem, feature.
Can I ask, in your phone call with Renault, were they saying that they were aware of the maps issue or the disconnecting iPod issue. Or both?
Cheers
Barrowboy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Both, in fact it is not only iPod, I pad connections via the USB it is
A flash drive also,basically problem is the USB disconnects without warning. Hope helps

·
Registered
110 Posts
guvnor34 said:
Both, in fact it is not only iPod, I pad connections via the USB it is
A flash drive also,basically problem is the USB disconnects without warning. Hope helps

Thank Guvnor,
Its re-assuring to know Renault are aware. Hopefully a fix will not be too far away.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just emailed Renault uk and got a pretty quick response. Apparently it's a well known issue that they are aware of. They said to keep updating the iPod and the rlink when ever a new update is available.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts