Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Hiya Helart,I have. It fits neatly below the floor. I have particular concern over being somewhere without a spare, as I did once cut open a tyre on a previous car when manoeuvring it over a hidden coping stone. An inflation kit would have been no good at all.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
No. We have cover with the 4 year plus warranty and to be honest I'd rather have a dealer or AA changing it. There is a tyre pressure monitoring system on each wheel which is read by the onboard computer. I wouldnt feel confident messing with this!Edited by: Tyrfelin

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
All autimatics get a spare wheel...I like the idea of having one...and as Tyrfelin says you have roadside assistance to put it on for you!
I would have ordered it in any car I have, as call me old fashioned, I prefer to have it ..just in case....but as far as pressure monitors are concerned a nice gimmick but I'm not concerned what they read really...I check pressures for myself amd adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Not a gimmick really. Had a Pug 407 and the monitor on that was flashing the day I picked it up from new. Another rubbish dealer pre-delivery check!!!!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I didm't mean it in that way...I just haven't looked at the indicator yet...but I have adjusted the pressures to suit conditions when I was preparing for our 900km drive in wintry conditions.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tyrfelin said:
No. We have cover with the 4 year plus warranty and to be honest I'd rather have a dealer or AA changing it. There is a tyre pressure monitoring system on each wheel which is read by the onboard computer. I wouldnt feel confident messing with this!

When i bought my last Megane...the Renault AA Cover did not cover punctures...namely changing the wheel so I paid extra......I have read that the 4+ cover changes after 3 years so hopefully the people with Captur can read through the small print and advise

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Tyrfelin, to be honest I'd probably change it if I was there, but I wouldn't expect my partner to do it!
I think we're covered for roadside assistance here in Poland

·
Registered
588 Posts
went for the spare wheel option as i heard the tyre inflation gunk can ruin the tyres making them unusable for repair.a matter of personal choice i suppose but ive always prefered having a spare wheel in the boot

·
Registered
116 Posts
I ordered one afterwards, but only the wheel / tyre - made it a lot cheaper as I already had the jack, the brace, and the storage tray is a waste of money.Prefer to at least have the option of using the spare if the puncture can be repaired, unlike using that gunk stuff - lets face it - one occasion of the tyre being able to be repaired and it has paid for itself - kind of.
Personal choice really. Also if you have a spare might make the car slightly more saleable when you come to sell ?

Sits nicely upside down under the boot lid, taking up hardly any space at all - I guess that's why they call it a spacesaver !!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Crossbow

I am new to this owners club but read your post about the spare tyre, would like to obtain one, do you have any details of size type part number etc. I have 1.5 medianav diesel with 17in wheels.

Thanks

dawso10

·
Registered
66 Posts
We do much cross European touring & I would never be without a spare in my MGTF or any other car we own. As well as a spare we also carry an aerosol inflator in case of a simple flat tyre where a quick option is required especially when my good lady is on her own as many people cannot shift the wheel nuts on their cars. That said: an inflator is useless if you blow out a tyre on the Autoroute & have a few hundred miles to go to your next overnight hotel. Even a skinny 50mph spare is better than no spare as my daughter found out a couple of days ago when her Audi TT hit a pothole on the way to work.
Looked at a Dacia Duster recently; just out of interest for future post sports car days. The 2WD version has absolutely no place for a spare so it isn't an option unless you want to buy a wheel & tyre & keep it in the boot. BUT: The 4WD drive does have a spare & somewhere to put it!!!!!!
WEIRD.
Even if you cannot undo your own wheel nuts do get a spare even if you have to get the RAC to fit it for you. That's better than being stranded!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi Daws010

There is separate section on the Spacesaver if you do a search but just for info - here is the post I did some time back contained in that section :

I think I can help with the price - if you ask the dealer the quote is £210 ( or it should be ), but when you analyse it, it breaks down as follows : I will also translate as the invoice will be in French :
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Roue ( Wheel ) - £31.74 + vat
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">BAC Rangement ( Storage Tray ) - £20.65 +vat
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Cric ( Jack ) - £ 59.56 + vat !!!!!!!!!!!!!
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Handle ( Brace ) - £6.10 + vat
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">125/70R16 ie tyre - £ 57.13 + vat

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">I decided I didn't need the storage tray or jack, so my bill came to £113 incl VAT which I was ok with. Sits in the sub floor area, very neat
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">If the dealer is quoting £250, then he is a stealer not a dealer !!

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Hope that helps everyone.

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Nick

1 - 20 of 23 Posts