Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 82 months I have now traded in my Captur. I have traded it in for a Kia Optima Sportswagon, 33 months old with 9,500 miles on the clock. Attracted by the 7 year warranty.
I would love an EV, but am not prepared to pay over £30k for something only worth less than £20k. Having read that manufacturers will in the next 2/3 years be selling them cheaper than their petrol/diesel counterparts I see no need to feed their profits. Even Tesla stated that they are going to bring out an ID 3 sized car in 2 years for £18k. They have to if they want us to buy them in sufficient quantity.
So I thought I would share some facts over the 82 months. 98,211 miles (ave 14,372 miles per annum). Fuel costs over the total period was £9,352 & 56.58 mpg.
It cost £21,000 (incl. 4 years serving) and trade in was £4,750. I only spent £400 on a new aircon rad. The rest being servicing, tyres, wipers. This worked out at £268.75 per month.
comparing this with leasing over 48 months (incl. servicing) at 15k miles per year would cost around £290 pm.
so owning saved me just over £1,000, for 48 months, which would relate to almost £2k over 82 months.
So leasing gives a level of peace of mind for the £2k, included in my monthly cost is after 3 years I took out the AA Parts & Garage, which covers you up to a tad over £500 for 3 events per year.

·
Super Moderator
2,725 Posts
^
Interesting; could I ask about tyre costs? Did you have to change them a few times? Did you try different brands and notice any difference in noise and life?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^
Interesting; could I ask about tyre costs? Did you have to change them a few times? Did you try different brands and notice any difference in noise and life?
After the originals wore out 33k miles on the front and 48k miles on the rear, I bought budget tyres at about £55 a time, they do a good 25k and compared to those fitted from new at £140 ea), from memory, I couldn’t see the point. I drive 65/70 on motorways and I got about 65 mpg. Last September was the best drive ever getting 70 mpg for the 356 from Kent to Northumberland. A 1,600 mile drive in 2019 to Bavaria returned 66 mpg.

Reactions: ggboy

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After the originals wore out 33k miles on the front and 48k miles on the rear, I bought budget tyres at about £55 a time, they do a good 25k and compared to those fitted from new at £140 ea), from memory, I couldn’t see the point. I drive 65/70 on motorways and I got about 65 mpg. Last September was the best drive ever getting 70 mpg for the 356 from Kent to Northumberland. A 1,600 mile drive in 2019 to Bavaria returned 66 mpg.
Note I had a service in December and asked them to check the rear brake shoes and was told that there was 60% still on them. I changed pads and discs on the front at 80k.

Reactions: ggboy

·
Super Moderator
2,725 Posts
How did you get that mileage out of the front tyres? I now my wife abuses the car terribly, we're on our third front set at around 42,000 miles and the rears were changed last time that the fronts were done too (I had crossclimates fitted all round for last winter)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How did you get that mileage out of the front tyres? I now my wife abuses the car terribly, we're on our third front set at around 42,000 miles and the rears were changed last time that the fronts were done too (I had crossclimates fitted all round for last winter)
I kept the car in ECO for the whole of the time I owned it. I never spun the wheels and accelerated carefully, and judged my braking hence the long life on the pads and shoes. I have been a member of the IAM since 1981, so just drive carefully.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts