Renault Captur Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Captur 2, purchased late June '21. The Key-card battery was replaced within the first week. Subsequently, I was given a new 'Renault' key-fob battery when the car was purchased so I used that. All was fine for a couple of weeks and then I started to get 'key-card battery low' alarm come up on the dashboard. This has been a continuing fault since then and in total I have replaced the CR2035 battery approximately 14/16 times. I have purchased 'Duracell', as well as 'Eveready' type. The car has been back to the garage for another problem and it was mentioned at that same time, with a new Renault battery being fitted as a result. That lasted 2 weeks or so, and the problems have continued since then. It happens to whichever one of the key-cards I choose to use.

During that time I have the 'key-card warning ' comes up sometimes when driving. It has been fine one day, and the next it would not open the car door. I had to use the emergency key to gain entry. When not in use the key-card is kept in a scan proof box.

Has anybody any suggestions or solutions? Do the key-cards need reprogramming? With my last 5 cars all being Renault I haven't had this problem at all. I am due to revisit my garage this week to see what they suggest, but after mentioning it the last time, I don't want to be fobbed off with some replacement battery

·
Registered
2020 S Edition 130 TCe AU EDC in Desert Orange and Black
117 Posts
Not sure that I can offer a solution - although wiser heads on here may be able to help - but I can confirm that you have a problem if your keycard is eating batteries at the rate you describe. I acquired my captur at the same time as you got yours and mine has been used constantly since and my keycards are still working fine on the original batteries. Not sure how long these batteries are expected to last, but experience with other keyfobs would lead me to expect several years duration. I would take it back to the dealer to sort out, and be very firm that this is a problem with the keycards, not the batteries.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response. I spoke earlier today to my garage and they suggested that they supply me with some of 'Renault' batteries to see how I get on. Any further problems would need the technician to look at the problem. I feel that it is not the with the batteries, but the key-fob. I'll take both key cards down to the garage, but I reckon that when I'm there I'll have the same 'no toothache when one visits a dentist' syndrome.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hi all,
Have a few questions to you regarding your fob battery issues so apologies in advance.

Can you confirm if your key card fob has been in contact with water in any way?
I mean has it accidentally been left in jeans or jacket and mistakenly put through a wash cycle??
Even rain, has been known to seep into a key card fob causing them to malfunction.

Do you place fob into the holder in your car or just carry with you?

Regarding batteries did you notice any dis-colouration around area where the small battery is locate inside the fob, especially the metal clip terminals when you opened the fob to replace the battery.
Any discolouration on any of the buttons.
I know the fobs can be prised apart more to allow viewing the internals but again i would advise against you doing this.
Again i am speaking from experience.

Going forward I would say that your issue is either software or electrical related with the actual fobs electrical internal motherboard board as it were.

They have been known to go wonky.
Renault batteries would make no difference as you are having an issue whereby the power is somehow being constantly drained.
Best bet would be to ask your garage to check car for any software and diagnostic issues with OBD scanner and get them updated.
Either this might solve problems ,or they supply you with brand new Renault key fobs programmed to your vehicle.
They might be able to reprogramme your faulty fobs but again going by experience new key fob cards look like your best bet as issues may arise in the future..

I can only give my personal opinion of similar experience and you will make your own decision.
Stay well
Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the response. To answer your suggestions;

Key-card has not been in contact with water in any way or form.
On my Captur, there is a moulding in the centre consul to keep it in place. I have a few times had it in my pocket and the problem has still persisted. When not in use it is kept in one of the anti-scam tins/ boxes, which is at least 25-30 feet away from the car inside the house.
No discolouration of the batteries in any way or form. Replacement batteries have been usually Duracell. Out of curiosity, I put a multi-meter across the new battery and had a reading of 3.3mv, which is what Renault reckon it should be.
Only time the fob has been apart, is to replace the battery.
In the 6 months that I have had the car, I have had some spurious problems with the car when I was getting all sorts of alarms coming up when I was driving. Car went to the garage and has been relatively OK since.
Went back to my garage yesterday (6th). They had a look at the key-cards and found no problems. They gave me 2 new batteries, fitted, to monitor if there are further problems. So we shall see where we go from there.
Any further problems and it is going back. I have a provisional date for it to be booked in.
Thanks,

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hi Aitch,
Thanks for kind reply

It is now a long process of limination to find out the cause

I would say that either your car electronic unit and or fobs are definitely suffering from a software glitch and either need reprogrammed.

If your main battery under the hood definitely a Stop/Start battery and definitely holding its charge and is the car not sitting unused for days at a time?
I think renault used to use Exide OEM batteries but this may have changed over the years.
Again batches of these Exide batteries manufactured in Spain at that time suffered from many issues, failing very quickly and causing problems with the capturs electronics.
I had issues with mine years ago under warranty and Renault did nothing along with other issues which i wont go into.
3rd party software issue via renault.

I required 2 new fobs as the internal motherboards of key fobs was in some way corrupted.
Again another story.

I would definitely request new fob to at least try to see if that makes any difference

Keep us updated
Stay well

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Captur I purchased was a showroom car. New. However, the day after purchase it would not start on the Driveway. Subsequent call to recommended emergency services (RAC) had the main car battery replaced (FOC). No problems since. After the visit to the garage (2 days since), the key-cards seem to be working OK. I've placed them in the centre consul holder, as well as trying them when the key-card is in my pocket. Still kept in the anti-scam box though when not using car. I shall monitor and keep the ongoing log. I mentioned to the garage about re-programming if the problem persists but they said to try the new batteries first and then if still problematic, they would investigate further. We'll see!!

·
Super Moderator
3,013 Posts
^
Any metal box should work OK, in fact even wrapping the keycard in aluminium cooking foil should work

·
Registered
2020 S Edition 130 TCe AU EDC in Desert Orange and Black
117 Posts
I guess a little hubris for me. Within days of responding to this thread I got the "keycard battery low" message. Mine have lasted 18 months against the two years anticipated lifetime quoted in the handbook. No idea how much they were used while my car was a showroom display (but the showroom was locked down for the three months before I purchased it). I am buying duracell batteries as replacements from Amazon and will see how well they do. Also interested to see how long my wife's keycard lasts given it is used much less than mine,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi first time poster here, I bought a used Captur a couple of weeks before Christmas, I had 2 key cards with the car, I picked the least worn looking one to be my main key and put the other one away as a spare.

After about 2 weeks I started to get a low battery warning on the dash display, but strangely it wasn't every day, earlier this week just to be on the safe side I swopped over the keys and checking the forum and reading how easy it was to change the battery I ordered a couple of Duracell CR2032s from Amazon, I fitted one to the low battery key card last night and lo and behold the key card no longer works.

My next step is to check the output from the new battery just in case Amazon have sent me a dud, but is there anything else I need to do?

·
Registered
3 Posts
As luck would have it, the old battery I took out of the key card was still in my pocket, I've just had one of our tech guys check it and it's giving 2.8V output so hardly what I'd call low, I will get the new batteries checked also.

·
Super Moderator
3,013 Posts
^
Did you fit the old battery back in the keycard and see if it started to work again?
There are some "scare stories" about that if you eave the battery out too long when changing it, the keycard looses its "memory" to the car and has to be re-programmed.... smae with a lot of other manufacturers keys that have batteries in them for remote locking, but so far I have not had an issue

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bit of a red face here now ☺, checked the unused new battery when I got home from work, and realised Duracell fit a child safety sticker over the centre portion of the battery and of course it's on the bottom so I didn't even see it when originally fitting the battery 🤫.
I reopened the key, removed the sticker and voila! One working key.
The key had been without power for 11 hours but seems to be working fine 👍

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Bit of a red face here now ☺, checked the unused new battery when I got home from work, and realised Duracell fit a child safety sticker over the centre portion of the battery and of course it's on the bottom so I didn't even see it when originally fitting the battery 🤫.
I reopened the key, removed the sticker and voila! One working key.
The key had been without power for 11 hours but seems to be working fine 👍
Good news, though I laughed

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, it's 2 weeks since the visit to the garage and new (Renault) batteries fitted. No 'key-card battery low' alarm since then but a couple of spurious faults and alarms have come up. The key-card was kept in its' scam box, and on the hall table. It was approximately 12-15ft away from the car at its nearest point, but with the solid walls of the house (15in thick) I don't its position caused any problem. I have now moved it so that it's at least 25ft away. We'll see how that goes.
However, on 3 occasions the key-card hasn't been recognised by the car as I've approached it, so have had to open it on the key-card button. Then, during driving the 'active brake alarm ' has appeared and disappeared, followed by 'optimum battery charge' has come up. I always thought you were supposed to concentrate on your driving, not faffing about with alarms!

·
Registered
2019 GT Line
53 Posts
So, it's 2 weeks since the visit to the garage and new (Renault) batteries fitted. No 'key-card battery low' alarm since then but a couple of spurious faults and alarms have come up. The key-card was kept in its' scam box, and on the hall table. It was approximately 12-15ft away from the car at its nearest point, but with the solid walls of the house (15in thick) I don't its position caused any problem. I have now moved it so that it's at least 25ft away. We'll see how that goes.
However, on 3 occasions the key-card hasn't been recognised by the car as I've approached it, so have had to open it on the key-card button. Then, during driving the 'active brake alarm ' has appeared and disappeared, followed by 'optimum battery charge' has come up. I always thought you were supposed to concentrate on your driving, not faffing about with alarms!
To many distractions in the modern car of today IMO

1 - 19 of 19 Posts