Renault Captur Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. New to this forum and I may be asking a question that's been asked before! Bought a 2nd hand Captur, 69 plate, and after only having in less than 2 months, my car auto locked with the key inside the car. Luckily a passenger was in and managed to open the car from the inside. Has anyone had this happen to them and/or know why this might happen? Seems crazy to me that a car should do this!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi. New to this forum and I may be asking a question that's been asked before! Bought a 2nd hand Captur, 69 plate, and after only having in less than 2 months, my car auto locked with the key inside the car. Luckily a passenger was in and managed to open the car from the inside. Has anyone had this happen to them and/or know why this might happen? Seems crazy to me that a car should do this!
I would replace the battery in the key - a straightforward task. We have a 69 reg and ours needed new batteries recently

·
Super Moderator
3,141 Posts
My 2014 Captur has twice self-locked and set the (optional) alarm off whilst my wiife was in the car with a keycard on her. We#'ve also had another case when she dropped the keycard inside the car, got out and the car locked. Had to get the second keycard from the house to unlock it. The car is not supposed to lock if a keycard is inside it but sadly like so much technology, it's not foolproof and fails from time-to-time. It's not unique to Renault either, I am aware of at least one Mercedes-Benz that locked with a keyless entry device in the boot resulting in an interesting experience for the driver and rescue/breakdown company

·
Registered
61 Posts
My 2014 Captur has twice self-locked and set the (optional) alarm off whilst my wiife was in the car with a keycard on her. We#'ve also had another case when she dropped the keycard inside the car, got out and the car locked. Had to get the second keycard from the house to unlock it. The car is not supposed to lock if a keycard is inside it but sadly like so much technology, it's not foolproof and fails from time-to-time. It's not unique to Renault either, I am aware of at least one Mercedes-Benz that locked with a keyless entry device in the boot resulting in an interesting experience for the driver and rescue/breakdown company

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes it’s not unique to Renault my friend is a dog Walker and her Nissan Navarro van did this and had no
spare ended up very costly broke window to get in and access key

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a shame when technology goes wrong! Phoned the local Renault - it's a fault with all Renaults. They have been aware of the issue for years and have never been able, or wanted (??), to sort it. Its very common apparently. Only advise is to keep key on me! It's never likely to be a recall either, if they found a fix it would just get picked up at service intervals. Something to do with the key bring one of the most complicated out there. I asked if the auto lock could be turned off, and the answer was no! Guess each car has its foibles!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
This is not unique to Renault my friend has a Nissan Navarro van and it locked with key in van she has no spare and ended up smashing window to access interior and key I’ve heard of someone else ford kuga done same and Mercedes’ too so it’s the technology of keyless entry

·
Registered
1 Posts
This just happened to me today. I also have a 69 plate Captur. Luckily I’d taken my baby out of the car, but everything else was trapped inside, keys, purse, phone etc. Also lucky that I’d just arrived at a baby class so I could borrow a phone to call a locksmith. It cost me £90 to open the door. I’m horrified that there’s no way of turning this feature off and that Renault know about it! I’ll change my battery too after reading this forum and hopefully won’t do it again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts