Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new Captur with keyless entry. Been using the keyless entry to lock & unlock the car however the car just wouldn’t switch on the other day. According to the garage when you use keyless entry/exit it doesn’t fully shut down the vehicle so it’s caused the car to die... anyone heard of this? Why have this feature when it can’t be used as this happens? Thoughts / solutions welcome
Thanks

·
Registered
579 Posts
How long was it between locking the car and then re-entering. If more than three to four weeks, then it is possible. Otherwise the dealer is telling you porkies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long was it between locking the car and then re-entering. If more than three to four weeks, then it is possible. Otherwise the dealer is telling you porkies.
Thanks, no it’s not even a month old. Seems strange to me. They took it into garage said they done a full service on it & came back with the problem is using the keyless entry/exit as it doesn’t fully shut down the car...

·
Registered
579 Posts
It shuts down the whole car except the immobiliser and keyless entry system. There is also a small current usage for radio, clock and other settings but should not be significant. You should be able to leave the car for two to three weeks AT LEAST in this state. Your garage is talking rubbish. I would call Renault Customer Service (they can be quite helpful) and see what they say. Complain about your dealer if necessary. If they really "came back with the problem that it is the keyless entry system" it means they can't find out what is wrong. Keyless entry systems should (and do) do what they are advertised to do. It is a feature of the car they sold you. Don't let them tell you not to use it. Assuming the obvious, e.g. no lights left on overnight, good condition battery etc then there must be something else using the battery whilst the car is not being used. This can happen, but it is a fault which needs to be found.

·
Registered
579 Posts
You didn't say what actually happens. Does the car unlock as it should? What happens when you try to start it... lights on the dashboard? What car? Diesel, petrol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, no it’s not even a month old. Seems strange to me. They took it into garage said they done a full service on it & came back with the problem is using the keyless entry/exit as it doesn’t fully shut down the car...
In my experience, Renault garages generally know little about their own cars. I have spoke to my garage about this and other matters. They generally have no idea what they are talking about.

·
Registered
579 Posts
That's a bit of a generalisation. Some are very good. They are franchises and have training programmes. Then comes experience. Finally there are some smart mechanics out there.
But yes, I would agree that just because their big workshop says Renault in front doesn't mean they are the best in town. But they have the right equipment. Find one with experienced mechanics (some read this forum) and the correct equipment and you will be very lucky.

I have been working on vehicles for 50 years (as an amateur, a designer, and professional manager) but modern car electronic systems are quickly leaving me behind. You need to be a keen and interested reader and researcher just to keep up. I find that I learn a lot from forums (fora?) like this. There is no embarrassment in learning from others.

·
Registered
354 Posts
That's a bit of a generalisation. Some are very good. They are franchises and have training programmes. Then comes experience. Finally there are some smart mechanics out there.
But yes, I would agree that just because their big workshop says Renault in front doesn't mean they are the best in town. But they have the right equipment. Find one with experienced mechanics (some read this forum) and the correct equipment and you will be very lucky.

I have been working on vehicles for 50 years (as an amateur, a designer, and professional manager) but modern car electronic systems are quickly leaving me behind. You need to be a keen and interested reader and researcher just to keep up. I find that I learn a lot from forums (fora?) like this. There is no embarrassment in learning from others.
Just a thought maybe the OP accidently put the main beam on when exiting the car because the wife did that ..locked the car returned 2 hours later and no surprise the battery was nearly flat and all sorts of weird messages came up on the screen. Called daughter out and with the aid of jump leads started the car

·
Registered
6 Posts
Brand new Captur with keyless entry. Been using the keyless entry to lock & unlock the car however the car just wouldn’t switch on the other day. According to the garage when you use keyless entry/exit it doesn’t fully shut down the vehicle so it’s caused the car to die... anyone heard of this? Why have this feature when it can’t be used as this happens? Thoughts / solutions welcome
Thanks
Same as you, New Captur picked up in May. Two weeks later going to an appointment, couldn't unlock the car. Called the RAC. said the battery was flat, thought it was defective battery so changed the battery, everything O K except missed appointment. Now feeling confident went on holiday to Hampshire, but alas, after 3days inactivity the car died again. Called out RAC again, he recharged the battery and said it could be auto locking being too sensitive and to take it to renault garage when we got home. In meantime we deactivated auto lock and use key fob manually and so far so good. Will be taking it to garage soon

·
Registered
579 Posts
Same as you, New Captur picked up in May. Two weeks later going to an appointment, couldn't unlock the car. Called the RAC. said the battery was flat, thought it was defective battery so changed the battery, everything O K except missed appointment. Now feeling confident went on holiday to Hampshire, but alas, after 3days inactivity the car died again. Called out RAC again, he recharged the battery and said it could be auto locking being too sensitive and to take it to renault garage when we got home. In meantime we deactivated auto lock and use key fob manually and so far so good. Will be taking it to garage soon
Please let us know what happens. Don't let them tell you it's normal. Auto locking has been a feature on Renaults for over ten years. Usually it works fine. There is a drain on the battery but it is small. No way should it flatten a fully charged battery in a few days.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts