Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a leak in the passenger side footwell that I'm assuming is most likely the drainage being blocked in the bit under the windscreen (technical term I know). I've looked at how to do it and think it will be beyond my capabilities (disability) so will be taking it into the dealer most likely (2018 car). I have a few questions though. Firstly, this leak has been going on for a long time - I reported hearing sloshing over a year ago and Renault assured me it was completely normal and they checked it out, no issues. Clearly I'm an idiot and trusted them, because when the carpet was taken up this week for something unrelated, they found a flood, and some rust as it's clearly been sitting in water for a long time. So, what is best to do?

Is surface rust on the floor of the footwell a major problem to fix? Is this likely to be covered under warranty? There is also rust on the (I think) actuator for the electronic handbrake. The mechanic didn't believe this needed replacing, but presumably it will shorten the lifespan considerably.

How can I dry out underneath the carpet? The mechanic that discovered it emptied out and dried it as much as he could, but it isn't in his remit to fix or advise on these issues and it was really just a goodwill gesture. I'd really like to take up the carpet myself and inspect it all as I just have a few photos. Is taking up the carpet something that's really feasible or does it involve removing trim etc? I can't seem to find any info on it.

Thanks for any advice.

Registered
I've got a leak in the passenger side footwell that I'm assuming is most likely the drainage being blocked in the bit under the windscreen (technical term I know). I've looked at how to do it and think it will be beyond my capabilities (disability) so will be taking it into the dealer most likely (2018 car). I have a few questions though. Firstly, this leak has been going on for a long time - I reported hearing sloshing over a year ago and Renault assured me it was completely normal and they checked it out, no issues. Clearly I'm an idiot and trusted them, because when the carpet was taken up this week for something unrelated, they found a flood, and some rust as it's clearly been sitting in water for a long time. So, what is best to do?

Is surface rust on the floor of the footwell a major problem to fix? Is this likely to be covered under warranty? There is also rust on the (I think) actuator for the electronic handbrake. The mechanic didn't believe this needed replacing, but presumably it will shorten the lifespan considerably.

How can I dry out underneath the carpet? The mechanic that discovered it emptied out and dried it as much as he could, but it isn't in his remit to fix or advise on these issues and it was really just a goodwill gesture. I'd really like to take up the carpet myself and inspect it all as I just have a few photos. Is taking up the carpet something that's really feasible or does it involve removing trim etc? I can't seem to find any info on it.

Thanks for any advice.
Hi there we noticed our passenger footwell carpet was soaking at front and rear and there were mould marks developing on passenger seats. Took it in and found that when they lifted the carpet the area beneath was as they described it like a swimming pool . Turns out that at manufacture the bulkhead had not been completely sealed . They said they had never seen this before but sounds to me like you may have same issue . Took them over a week to seal and dry out . Seems fine now Would advise you get a garage to check it out 馃

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, yes you're right. I took it into Renault a few months ago and they said the same thing as you found. They replaced the seal after some arguing (they acknowledged there was the issue, but claimed as it was close to the end of the warranty it wouldn't be covered - not sure that's how that works...!). It also took numerous phone calls chasing them to actually get them to take the carpet up rather than just fixing the leak.

It seems OK now although to be honest given their ongoing incompetence I don't entirely trust that they've done a good job. Fingers crossed it's alright. I'm glad you got yours sorted!

Registered
"close to the end of the warranty"?? That's rubbish. Especially since you brought it to their attention over a year previously and they fobbed you off then as well. I would have a word with Renault Customer Service - they should take responsibility for damage as a result of poor workmanship, as well as a rap on the knuckles for your dealer (he is only a franchisee). If the car was not sealed properly at the manufacture stage you might even have a case to reject it even now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts