Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car's still in the big delivery cloud so I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I just passed a Captur that had the LED running lights off, I thought this couldn't be done

·
Registered
338 Posts
Why would I want to do it, anyway? They are there for a reason - and before everyone gets on their high horse about it, not all driving is done in (fairly) civilised way, on areasonable roads with reasonable good driving standards as they are in UK. There are places and roads where I almost feel that the necessity is for huge search lights on top of my car, never mind LEDs

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't want to have them off either, apart from the safety aspect I think it adds to the looks of the car. According to the salesman when I bought mine it's law now for all new cars to have running lights and Renault have opted to make theirs LED. Having said that.......this is the same salesman who told me I'd have delivery within the week....3 weeks ago !!!!!
Edited by: johnco

·
Super Moderator
2,372 Posts
It may be law for all new cars in the EEC to have running lights fitted, but the UK is one of a few countries that have NOT made it mandatory for them to be activated and working;

Bizarre but true;

They have to be fitted but you can leave them switched off

·
Registered
12 Posts
LED lights only come on when there is no side lights or main dipped beam lights in use. If lights are in auto mode and it goes darker the LED daytime running lights will turn off and main dipped beam will come on. If auto lights are off and you manually turn side lights on or main dipped beam on the LED daytime running lights will turn off. Captur will not run LED lights at same time as main lights. This is just my experience with my Captur.
Let me know if your LED's work different to mine

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mad One said:
LED lights only come on when there is no side lights or main dipped beam lights in use.

That might explain it. It's been a bit dull here on and off today and there's every chance the driver had sidelights on, I didn't notice.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Aha...now that's different...if the other lights were on , the LED lights would be off!
The UK always has to be different...strange but true!!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Ridiculous law making DRL's mandetory; it's another nanny state thing that takes away one more thing for the driver to worry about, how many cars do you see out there that have the DRL's on but really the headlights should be on instead, the driver just thinks "oh I've got those lights on on the front, I'm fine I don't need my headlights", or on truth they don't even think that much!

·
Super Moderator
2,372 Posts
... and the worse thing is, HTP, that many people having thought that the DRL LED's are sufficient, don't realise that they have no rear lights on when the DRL's are on. In motorway spray it can be very, very dangerous

·
Registered
824 Posts
But surely in the case of the Captur providing the "Auto light" feature is activated the headlights will come on when natural light goes dim? So leaving lights off cant be an excuse........use the feature!

·
Registered
588 Posts
speaking of lights has anyone else had a problem with the lights being on (headlights) even when the auto isnt selected?

only ask as ive noticed mine on during the daytime about 3 times now even when the lights are in the "Off" position and the only way to get them off is turning the engine on/off.

·
Registered
741 Posts
bigbadtony said:
speaking of lights has anyone else had a problem with the lights being on (headlights) even when the auto isnt selected?

only ask as ive noticed mine on during the daytime about 3 times now even when the lights are in the "Off" position and the only way to get them off is turning the engine on/off.

Is your engine off when you have noticed the headlights are on?

If so you may well be knocking the wiper stalk when exiting the car, if you pull the wiper stalk towards you when the engine is off this activates the "See Me Home" function of the headlights, one pull will leave the headlights on for 30s, pull it up to 4 times so the headlights remain on for 2 minutes after you have turned the car off so the area that you are in remains illuminated thus giving you light to get into the house if it is dark.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Just been sad......been out and tried this.......It dont work.......not on mine anyway......I have often wondered if the Captur had a "See me home" function.........is it just on the S version perhaps??

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
They like to come on if you've been in a dark spot...a tunnel or petrol station...and do stay on sometimes until the engine is switched off and back on!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ythsie said:
They like to come on if you've been in a dark spot...a tunnel or petrol station...and do stay on sometimes until the engine is switched off and back on!
Yes, can be very variable. My previous Jaguar did exactly this but my current Mazda switches on and off perfectly eg within 2 seconds of exiting a tunnel in daylight the lights will switch off. Haven't had much chance to try it with the Captur yet.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts