Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you will know; from other threads; we traded in an, owned from new, 2007 Suzuki SX4 to buy the Captur in Nov 2013. Our plan is to also keep the Captur for 6 or 7 yrs.

My wife, who owns the Captur, loves it's: style; customised appearance; how quietly it cruises; the elevated driving position; etc; etc. She also happily tolerates it's performance levels & drives all the time in ECO mode. She regularly gets favourable comments from onlookers & people she takes out in it. So: it is actually a pretty good car.

I, on the other hand, do all the cleaning, routine checks, etc & also consider value for money & long term depreciation/reliability.

What are my downsides to the Captur in comparison with it's predecessor which; even after allowing for inflation; cost a lot less to buy.

Engine: OK you can only expect so much from an 898cc but why can't this engine deliver what power it has smoothly? Also if one is willing to tolerate slower & less linear progress how come the real world fuel consumption, even in ECO mode, is only 4mpg better that the SX4s 1600 naturally aspirated engine which accelerated much better & delivered smoothly across the rev range. Who cares about a few more quid on the annual road tax & at the pump. A triumph of CO emission technology over practicality.

Why is it such a pain to keep it looking good. See various threads re washing. All the SX4 needed was a wash over with a brush on a hose & a wipe down with a drying cloth to make it's Sunlight Copper Metallic (ORANGE!) look good.

Why so much technology? Do we really need ESP, cruise control, multiple readouts, etc which she doesn't use? Why can't you get useable stuff like: aircon, elec folding mirrors, & reversing sensors, together without being forced to pay the premium for the Dynamic S Medianav. It's just more stuff to go wrong in the long term & allows Renault to sell stuff with a higher mark up.

Similarly: How come one cannot have a custom paint job & nice wheels without buying all that goes with the Dynamic S?

How come the expensive nav system is no better than my Tom Tom Start which has free lifetime map updates & can be updated weekly on my PC.

Why is the paint so "weak". It already has a number of tiny scratches on it that other paint jobs would have resisted & appears to have been permanently marked by a gull dropping which would just have just required washing off the SX4. The bonnet has already been resprayed under warranty.

No real evidence yet but the interior does not seem as if it will last that well over time.

What I want is a car that is good value for money & does what it says on the tin first time every time. Will the Captur do this as well as the SX4. Time will tell!!

Am I turning into Mr Grumpy? Not really as if my good lady is happy then I'm happy. Just thought I'd stir up some thoughts on the forum.

LAST WORD:

We're off to the Italian Riviera, via some Alpine passes & vineyard scenery in a few weeks. Which car are we taking? My 2003 MGTF160 of course!!

Edited by: thepittstop

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Not being funny but 3 cylinder engine can't run as smoothly as your 1600. Maybe should have looked at 1200 or 1500dci?

·
Registered
741 Posts
You sound a right miserable git OP and you aren't being "controversial" you are just moaning about nothing.

I'll answer your questions:

I think the 900CC is actually very smooth and punchy and the motoring press seem to agree too, ok it is a three cylinder so you are going to get a bit more of a hum however all three cylinders are like that as they don't balance as well as a 4 cylinder. Regarding fuel consumption unfortunately small turbos aren't as fuel efficient in the real world when compared to older NA engines it is a fact I'm afraid, blame EU emissions regulations, these small turbo engines are manufactured to achieve the highest possible efficiency using the peramiters set by the Government testing, this in turn then helps the manufacturer to lower their overall CO2 figures this resulting in lower RFL and BIK figures for company car buyers plus if you are a greeny it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

ESP is a legal requirement now, or at least it will be come the end of the year and anyway regardless it is a safety item and a manufacturer will not get a 5 star NCAP if a car doesn't have it, no matter the scoring in the other categories. The fitment of cruise control and speed limiter actually go towards achieving a higher NCAP scoring too.

Whinging about it being difficult to wash; really?!

Why shouldn't you have to buy a higher spec model to get more equipment, I don't really understand your gripe with that one, all manufacturers operate on the same basis and anyway if your car was fitted with the extras you want, it sort of cancels out your arguments saying that having ESP and cruise means there is more to go wrong because surely the fitment of the bits that you want means that there is more to go wrong?!!

Customising paint jobs and having to go to the higher model to get it included; see my first few lines above!

The R-Link gives you more than just a better sat nav but anyway in the grand scheme of car sat nav pricing it is a bargain, no one is forcing anyone to buy it though.

Paint being weak; it depends on the wether it is metallic or solid, solid colours do tend to be less resistant to marks, anyhow paint in general across manufacturers isn't as strong as it used to be as less is used, blame Eco targets.

Interior quality; well you already have said that there is no real evidence yet regarding its longevity so based on that I suggest you have no reason to be moaning about it.

You do have a car that is good value for money.

Are you turning in to Mr. Grumpy?, without a doubt and I suggest you have been Mr. Grumpy for quite a while!

I hope your MG breaks down!
Edited by: HTP99

·
Registered
291 Posts
Your own fault for getting one of those silly 3 cylinder things anyway, all revs and no guts..! Should have got the diesel. !

·
Super Moderator
2,677 Posts
thepittstop said:
Engine: OK you can only expect so much from an 898cc but why can't this engine deliver what power it has smoothly? Also if one is willing to tolerate slower & less linear progress how come the real world fuel consumption, even in ECO mode, is only 4mpg better that the SX4s 1600 naturally aspirated engine which accelerated much better & delivered smoothly across the rev range.
How many miles has your Captur done? Have you bedded the engine in nicely? (used to be called "running in" in the old days). The engine won't be as smooth, as free-reving or as economical over the first few thousand miles as it should be for the rest of its life. Treat it well, and it should last you out. I traded my Scenic in at the week-end and after just under 93,000 miles it ran as sweetly as new and didn't have any oil leaks. Only in the past 2 or 3 years did it require a small oil top-up between annual services

·
Registered
225 Posts
Like most other people who have responded regarding your gripes regarding the engine. I would have gone for either the 1200cc petrol or the 1.5 dci. I have had the latter in Nissan Notes and a better engine you won't find!!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Personally I have no problem at all with my gutless and over revvy 898cc........I must be easy pleased....................

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad I've stimulated some comments.

I would tend to agree that the diesel would have been a better option. One cannot really learn enough about an engine in a typical test drive especially as the engine does need running in: a process that we adhered to with a noticeable improvement shown over the run in period. The 1200 would have probably been the best bet but it was not available as a manual.

I have no problem with the 3 cylinder thrum just the occasional hesitation in power delivery as the revs build up under acceleration. I've raised this with the dealer, as well as asking about throttle lag, to be told that this is normal.

From the responses I would also concede that many of my comments could be leveled at most recent models not just Renaults.

Totally agree that the latest emission tests are completely divorced from real life.

Just a grumpy old Luddite I suppose. To me even the MGTF is almost "too modern". I loved my MGBs & Triumphs when I could happily spent hours setting up the twin SU carbs & the distributor "by ear"! What are carbs & a distributor I hear some of you young people ask! I would also concede that the TF is high maintenance to keep it really reliable. I use it as a daily drive & for European touring averaging about 10k pa but that's not a problem as I do enjoy doing the work myself.

A Grumpy/Luddite/Masochist I hear you all cry!!

KEEP ON MOTORING!!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Only two carbs Pittstop, I had a Honda Goldwing with FOUR carbs that I used to spend hours on balancing them with a piece of rubber pipe stuck in my ear listening to the "hiss"When I got the later six cylinder one it had that poncy fuel injection stuff on. Took all the fun out of it

Happy days.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Goldy,

Yes the pipe in the ear is just what I used to do. No fancy suction gauges for us!!

Then, spin the dizzy to get the best tick-over & use that as the start point to get the ignition timing right!!!

I did hear of a Mini fitted with 4 Amal carbs which was allegedly a nightmare. The most I've tackled was a triple carb conversion on a Triumph Vitesse.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi HTP 99,

Just to let you know that the TF covered 2000 miles & didn't miss a beat.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I take ThePittStop's point regarding SatNav. You can get TomTom with life-time updates for the price of an (possibly) out-of-date MediaNav update and you get full postcodes.and Speed Cameras which you can update weekly for £20.

·
Registered
741 Posts
thepittstop said:
Hi HTP 99,

Just to let you know that the TF covered 2000 miles & didn't miss a beat.

And I bet those 2000 miles you worried the whole way; "will it make it, will it make it!!"

I jest, I actually like TF's and I know their reliability issues only really centre around the headgasket which is an easy fix with a better quality one.

·
Registered
921 Posts
my car is quite gutzy in Eco and out of it flies

I've dropped from a 1.6 and was worried about the drop but I am not in the least bit disappointed

Edited by: LynG

1 - 18 of 18 Posts