Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My daughters 13 plate Captur 0.9tce has failed it’s MOT, the light switch does not work correctly, side lights come on, dipped beam comes on, no high beam when stalk pushed forward of pulled back to flash, oh and no fog lamps front or rear!
When the stalk is turned to lights off position the lights stay on, only way to switch them off is to turn engine off, my daughter has had them on the auto lights setting where everything appeared to be working fine (not sure about fogs!) but the way it’s not functioning is an MOT fail, any ideas? Thanks in advance Miket.

·
Super Moderator
2,684 Posts
There is obviously at least one fault that needs investigating. Have the main beam bulbs been checked to make sure that they are present and have not blown? Similarly the rear fog lamp. If the lights stay on even when the light switch is turned to off, and only go out when the engine is stopped, then that is another fault that needs investigating.

Front fog lamps are not a legal requirement, so if they do not work, it should not affect the outcome of the MoT.
If all bulbs are fitted and working, next stop will normally be a diagnostic check or a wiring check

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, the fog light warning lamp and high beam indicator don’t appear on the dash so I’m not convinced it’s lamps, I will however test and rule them out, I’m leaning to it being the BCU or whatever acronym you want to use, disconnecting the battery for a reboot didn’t work.
Had a similar issue with a smart coupe a few years back, simply unplugging the module and reinstating the connections resolved the issues, I will update my findings as things progress, thought someone on here may have had this issue.
That will probably be weekend, back in work tomorrow following a day off to use up my remaining annual leave ☹

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All sorted it was as simple as a missing fuse, someone had removed a fuse for lighting & alarm, this was causing the light switch and associated circuits to go haywire, my daughter had been driving around with the lights on Auto, everything worked fine, when the MOT tester tried all the manual functions for lighting everything went pear shaped, the missing fuse was causing other fuses to blow, it took a while to trace but just check there are no empty fuse bays that DO have cables and circuitry connected, the simple insertion of a 5A fuse solved everything, lessons learned here gents:
1: Don’t assume the car was right when you bought it (particularly for the MOT) the fuse must have been missing at point of sale.
2: Don’t take the content of the handbook seriously, the fuse box diagram did not reflect what exists in the car it was issued with, thanks Google.
3: Carry out basic sequential checks for each fuse, also check for missing fuses.

·
Super Moderator
2,684 Posts
Glad it turned out to be something simple. Quite how the car got through a PDI with those faults if you have had it from new, is a mystery

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad it turned out to be something simple. Quite how the car got through a PDI with those faults if you have had it from new, is a mystery
Wasn’t from new my daughter bought the car 12 months ago, just shows some unscrupulous dealers will go to any lengths and acquired what can only be described as a dodgy MOT when she bought it. Anyhow main thing is we sorted the car correctly for a little time and effort, not dodged it up like the dealer did!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts