Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all Captur owners,
I have one question regarding light on the dashboard that indicates low fuel. Question is very simple, when does it come on? How much fuel is there left in the tank and for how many kilometers is there fuel to sustain when the light comes on? I know that this ''kilometers'' part is a bit questionable due to fuel consumption of every vehicle/driver but isn't therecertain amount of fuel left in tank when the light should come on?When my light comes on i check every time on my travel computer amount of fuel used. Somethimes it comes on when i use 37 litres, sometimes more, maximum was 40 litres of fuel used when the light came on.

Iknow that captur has 45 litres tank and I always fill it to the top when buying fuel and afterwards i reset all fuel and distance indicators so I am interested why does the light come on when different ammount of fuel is used every time.

Thank you in advance,

Best regards and enjoy your Captur.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I reckon the fuel light comes on when I have about five litres left. As for fuel tank size, my handbook says 40 or 45 litres depending on vehicle, as I have never managed to get more than 39 litres in it must be a 40-litre tank.

·
Super Moderator
2,370 Posts
it will almost certainly be a "level sensor" so when it comes on will depend on the gradient the car is on, how gently the fuel is sloshing about in the tank etc, hence it is unlikely to ever come on twice at exactly the same point. How far you can travel after it has come on will depend on your driving, speed, road conditions etc

·
Registered
209 Posts
JohnChambers said:
I reckon the fuel light comes on when I have about five litres left. As for fuel tank size, my handbook says 40 or 45 litres depending on vehicle, as I have never managed to get more than 39 litres in it must be a 40-litre tank.
Not true, see my other post, my wife got 48 litres into her tank last week (the garage receipt proves that). It's supposed to be 45. Our fuel light comes on with about 5 litres left so in the case of the 0.9TCe less than 40 miles.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Evening All

I would like to resurrect this thread if I may.

Having now had chance to refill my Captur on four occasions, each time with the low fuel light on the dash being displayed and me having driven probably 20-30 miles thereafter, I have filled the tank to the brim and never achieved more than 39.86L.

The "Fuel Used" option on the dash has on all occasions displayed between 8.4 and 8.7 gallons. Converting this into litres gives ~39L. This ties in relatively closely to the ~39L I then put back in at the petrol station.

The question therefore is, is the tank really 45L? I have seen no literature to suggest otherwise (although I could be fooled into believing it is only 40L).

This leads me to think that the low fuel light and indicator gauge on the RHS of the dash are both very conservative, that is to say that I could potentially have up to 5L of fuel left in the tank, which at my average mpg, would equate to over 55 miles!

An old trick I used to do with my motorcycles was to run the bike dry (essentially keep going until the bike spluttered to a stop) whilst carrying a jerry can on the back! This allowed me to know EXACTLY how far one could go on a tank of fuel and how far you could go "on the light". I don't fancy doing that in a modern injected engine, so wondered if anyone else has any experience of exactly how far you can go on the light?

FYI, my Captur is the 0.9TCE version.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Get about 50miles approx when my low fuel warning light has come on 0.9 Captur.

Not a good idea to let fuel too low warning light on regular basis as sediment in the tank can move about and choke the fuel filter.
That is my opinion from personal experience and others may differ.
Hope this helps
cheers

Happy 2019 to all in Captur Land

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks Kootzee

That equates very similarly to my experience. As for not letting it run too low, I agree that is probably best practice in a car you haven't owned from new, but in a brand new car, in which I knew exactly what had been put in the tank, and how long it had been in there, I'd have no problem running it almost dry. My Captur was bought second hand with 29k on it however.

·
Registered
32 Posts
One thing the dealer had not done when we picked the new (to us) car up yesterday was put any diesel in it, but I had got away with the transportation costs so swings and roundabouts.

Anyway, low fuel light on and I managed 44 litres to Brim it, so they are least on the 110bhp 15 plate, 45 lt tanks.

·
Registered
124 Posts
One thing the dealer had not done when we picked the new (to us) car up yesterday was put any diesel in it, but I had got away with the transportation costs so swings and roundabouts.

Anyway, low fuel light on and I managed 44 litres to Brim it, so they are least on the 110bhp 15 plate, 45 lt tanks.
That is useful to know. Thanks Awesime!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts