Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was speaking to a manager at renault uk about a problem ,
Mentioned to her me being annoyed that the media nav toolbox cannot be downloaded on mac,

Explained that I only have a mac book and what could I do as desperate to do the post code upgrade ,
She looked in to and spoke to head of it , who said there is no mac downloads coming soon ,

I said can renault download it for me , no was her answer and that I should borrow someone's laptop ,

The amount of mac users now I think it's a bit poor !!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Seems strange. I have R-link and Renault do a Mac version of the R-link toolbox. Very surprised there isn't one for Media Nav. ?

·
Registered
409 Posts
When you think of how many medianav units there are out there in Clio's Capturs and the Dacias it amazes me they have neglected the mac users.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I know its not ideal, but what about picking up a cheap windows laptop from somehere like Te$co or maybe even ebay to use solely for the Media Nav tool box?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sorry but I'm not shelling out money for a rubbish windows laptop just to update my satnav.
I was also told to borrow a laptop from someone. I explained that my friends are all mac users too. Their response?
Nothing.

My dealer said 'you'll just have to use what you've got'
Considering I've paid thousands for a brand new car that's particularly shoddy in my opinion.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it's terrible. And for them not to be able to put it on for you is also poor ,
No way am I going out to buy a cheap laptop just for this.

Also why no full post code facilities in the first place , surely this is this first thing they would of thought of for a sat nav ?!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ric77766 said:
I think it's terrible. And for them not to be able to put it on for you is also poor ,
No way am I going out to buy a cheap laptop just for this.

Also why no full post code facilities in the first place , surely this is this first thing they would of thought of for a sat nav ?!
As a fellow Mac user, albeit with an older PC which allowed me to update our MediaNav there is one other element to this....

On many, many issues I have read to do with developing apps and tools for the Mac the biggest obstacle is usually Apple themselves. I don't know what the issue is here but this is likely as much to do with Apple as Renault.

Just another perspective

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah this annoyed me but its for this reason I keep a crappy old XP desktop in the house to be dusted off when I come up against a non apple piece of software :(

Shouldn't need to do it but not everyone sees the light!

·
Registered
110 Posts
LisaH said:
Sorry but I'm not shelling out money for a rubbish windows laptop just to update my satnav.
I was also told to borrow a laptop from someone. I explained that my friends are all mac users too. Their response?
Nothing.

My dealer said 'you'll just have to use what you've got'
Considering I've paid thousands for a brand new car that's particularly shoddy in my opinion.
I agree with you completely. I was just trying to suggest a way to solve your immediate problem as waiting for Renault and Apple to get their heads together could take a long time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Another Mac user (8 years windows free!) and I share your frustrations - our garage (Arnold Clark Warrington) will upgrade for us but charge £4 for the service. We'll take it so we can get the update to the maps in the 90 day period but probably won't bother again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The media Nav in general is probably the weakest part of the car in my opinion, there are some really basic errors in its operation:Slow to switch on (i'm out of my street before it starts in the morning)
Late instructions on the sat nav
Always forgets the iPod is on shuffle......
and don't get me started on that annoying speed camera warning!!!! yes its like to get a warning but compared to my wifes tom tom I'd rather get caught and claim insanity

·
Super Moderator
2,376 Posts
welshblue said:
..... there are some really basic errors in its operation:Slow to switch on (i'm out of my street before it starts in the morning).....

Count yourself lucky. I had a Mitsubishi ASX as a hire car in Scotland about 2 years back. That had a sat-nav and radio unit that took about 2 minutes to load up every time that the engine was started, so no quick ability to check traffic from starting out (option of 2 routes from the hotel to the place I was working), no radio at all for the first 2 minutes of any journey. No point in me considering an ASX as an alternative to the Captur. Don't designers ever consider how people actually use their cars?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I cant believe all the problems you guys seem to be having with your medianav. Had mine now since end of February and have always found it a joy to use. It boots up around 20 seconds from ignition on..sat nav has worked as it should..even better with updates..maps and full postcode. Always connects seamlessly with my Samsung Galaxy phone..phone book is always there..music on micro usb very fast to navigate around the 70 odd albums I currently have on it..all with album art..and sound quality I've found to be excellent..better than expected. Don't really bother with the radio but all preset are all as they should be..all in all in my experience its a brilliant infotainment system..love it..
meterman_56

1 - 20 of 26 Posts