Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some help with the Media Nav Toolbox. I have downloaded the toolbox, copied the Nav details from the car, connected the memory stick to my laptop and got an update. Plugged the usb back in to the car and I think it has updated. Next stage was to connect the usb to laptop again to finish the update but when I open the toolbox and attach the usb it says no device detected and not logged in. When you click onNot Logged In I get a warning message to connect your device to this PC with USB cable. Anyone know why it is not recognising the memory stick again. Sure I am doing something really stupid.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Jay,As you have said the first update of Medianav is a two-stage process, well it was for me. I think that once you have done the first update, as you appear to have done, you will need to go through that self-same process again. That is reformat your memory stick your home computer. Take the "empty" newly formatted memory stick to the car, and do the "update" process again. This will load the latest information from your car's MediaNav system onto the memory stick. Then take that memory stick back to your home computer and then the MediaNav toolbox will recognise the memory stick contents and download the next set of data, which you then take back to the car and update in just the same way as your did the first time.

You will have then completed the two-stage update. I think from then on in, the update will be a single stage process. But in order to do that you will have to reformat the memory stick, load the MediaNav details from the car, use the toolbox download the latest update, and take it back to the car.

I suspect that the download process from the toolbox onto the memory stick puts files onto it that are needed for the update, but does not carry the information in the form needed by the toolbox to recognise for subsequent updates. This is why you have to reformat the memory stick and take the blank memory stick to the car to load the MediaNav information onto it so that the toolbox can recognise the version of the update needed.

Edited by: crossbow

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Crossbow, that seems to have worked (although still have to take the memory stick back out to the car in the morning). Was able to do the final part of the update from the toolbox tonight. Thanks again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Jay "Crossbow" has it in one.
I had difficulties myself and did contact Customer Services who were brilliant, nothing was too much trouble. The instructions in the manual are not too clear they don't, for example tell you your stick needs to be formatted first or not to use too large a memory stick.
What happens is after you have done the forementioned you copy from the car what is there, take it to your PC and the stick is recognised and allows any update which replaces what was on the stick. When you take the stick to the car it does not copy but removes it from the stick and that is why your PC does not recognise the stick any more, it is virtually empty. Should you have looked at the contents of the stick after the first copy you would have seen many folders and files but having updated the car and you look at the stick contents you will only find one file. If you want to purchase another map then you do need to either copy from the car the new installed information or re format your stick. I guess that is how it is and I hope your question and the responses you have had will help others. Happy Capturing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, I was having the same problems but these posts helped me through. However I've paid for and downloaded the post code navigation update but it doesn't appear as a download in the toolbox.
Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong please?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, confused by need to do that at first but tried without success. Just got in from playing with an elderly motorcycle. Will try again now

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry, not sure of the meaning of that?
Do you suggest I try another, blank, USB in the MediaNav? When I put the USB into laptop and open the Toolbox I can log in fine but don't get presented with the option to download anything even though I have successfully paid for the update!
I do get a dialogue box in the middle of the Home screen saying "Available Contents
<div style="padding-top: 5px;">Full Postcode Navigation for UK
Media Nav devices

2013 Q2"
but you can't click on it

·
Registered
924 Posts
You have to "prime" the memory stick, just like priming the carburettor on a bike.

Format the memory stick on the home computer. Take the memory stick to the car. The infotainment system will then load a fingerprint onto the memory stick. This fingerprint will tell the toolbox what level the data and software is at. So when you then put the memory stick back in the home computer. The toolbox will recognise this, and then let you download onto the stick, if the car is not up to date.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ive tried that a couple of times. My issue is that I successfully updated the software in the MediaNav as a first step. I then went onto the Renault site and paid for the Postcode update. I thought that when I logged into the Toolbox again the Postcode update would be waiting to be downloaded as in the same way that the routine update had been - but I can't see anything!
Sorry If my ignorance is exasperating!

·
Registered
588 Posts
i had the same problem Peterr, tried it 3 times and still no success.im thinking of maybe popping to my local dealers as im not sure if its something im doing wrong or if theres a problem with the medianav.also i didnt have an option on my toolbox on the left to click "Update" as ive seen on some screen shots after id downloaded the update.

·
Registered
588 Posts
i felt the same Peterr. tried everything i can think of and still no use.only thing left for me is a trip to the dealers

·
Registered
588 Posts
well, i can say my dealers is stumped too. he did mention that on the Captur's he'd had in the medianav was a bit strange as to sometimes it worked and sometimes it didnt. he suggested looking on Google for a solution

strange that my Toolbox will put updates to my usb (its just done another one) but seems to completely loose the downloaded update that ive paid for.

i thought at first it might be because mines running on Q2 2011 map (i updated as soon as i got the car) but not sure if this is the case because it is an option to update the full post code to this map.

sorry i cant be anymore help Peterr, still stumped myself

·
Registered
168 Posts
Are you sure the postcode update isn't already on the car?
It's not very obvious at first glance.
It adds it to the town search line rather than it having its own line as you would expect

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks Prof Pat Pending, I saw your post just after I'd come off the phone to the MediaNav help centre - who were extremely helpful!
It turns out that:
a) the instructions that you get on line after you have downloaded the postcode file are wrong. Apparently that's how they wanted it to work (and it may do in future) but a downloads box to click on doesn't appear. You just have to leave the USB in your pc / laptop while logged into the Toolbox for a few minutes and then check for a file on the USB that starts: UK_7PPC....
if that's there then it's downloaded. Next step is to put into MediaNav, however,
b) nothing appears to happen - to check whether it has, go to route planning to try to plan a route, however
c) an obvious place to enter a postcode doesn't appear, as Prof Pat Pending says you put the postcode into the box that is normally used for "Town" I tried it with a space between postcode digits 4 and 5 and it worked perfectly
So thanks again Prof Pat Pending, and bigbadtony - check out your MediaNav - it may well already be sorted, you just need to know where to try!!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi to all - I have put a separate post on here under Media Nav Postcode update that gives you the exact process to follow. I had the same problems as above, but there is one very important part which you must do - that is, after taking the fingerprint from the car, plug the USB back into your PC. Then you MUST wait a minimum of 3 minutes, it will appear to be doing nothing, but do not unplug. then you need to go into the USB stick, Navi Sync file, License file, then look for a file that reads UK ppc - I will try and find my original link and post it below

1 - 20 of 28 Posts