Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Add this to the list of possible Captur faults.The black coating comes off the Medianav buttons.
As you can see, it's 'bubbling up' from underneath and there are no scratches surrounding the damage to suggest it's fingernail damage etc.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Hi Bol d'or,

Please don't shout! These are questions only, to find the cause of this!

As it seems to be on buttons that are touched....

Do you use any wet wipes to clean the inside of your car, or any spray? If so, they could be too harsh and react with the coating.
Do you use any scented stuff?
It could also be hand creams... Some are not neutral PH. .
It could be perfume / after shave! If you or your wife have some on hands (after touching a part of your face or neck etc, where perfume or aftershave would have been), it could react to coating as they contain alcohol and other chemicals.

They are definitely not nail damaged.
Mel

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mel, hiThere is no valid reason for this to be happening, other than a manufacturing fault.
We should not and will not look for reasons that WE have caused this when no other car we've ever owned has suffered from this.
We are a normal family, we don't work in an acid factory.

Edited by: bol d'or

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sent this latest photo to our local dealer (local....ha!...they are 40 miles away....)They say they cannot assist as no Renault RTE (Renault Technical Expert) bulletin issued for this fault.
So it needs to go to a main dealer that can issue an RTE bulletin themselves.
Which means driving a minimum of 60 miles.
Brilliant.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Can't the expert come to your nearest (!) garage? When I had issue with Tomtom live they had expert coming to my car.... Not the other way! Same when they replaced black gloss on door... And they offer to drive me back home or hand me keys to another car so that I can be mobile when they conduct work! You need to move to Derbyshire! Lovely dealer in Burton!
MelEdited by: Armelle

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update.The local dealer (40 miles away) said there is no bulletin for this in the system.
They cannot raise a new bulletin because they don't have a Renault Technical Expert (RTE).
So they suggested I drive approx 60 miles to a bigger dealer than does have an RTE.
Naturally, not happy.
Renault CS have forced my local dealer to have a look at the problem, I'm driving up tomorrow.
The problem is more noticeable now that the nights are getting dark.
The illumination of the stereo shines bright white through the missing coating.
Hopefully anew stereo will be ordered and hopefully the new one will also cure the stuttery Bluetooth playback at the same time.

Edited by: bol d'or

·
Registered
72 Posts
This is exactly the same issue that Audi A2's suffer from, it is poor quality materials and reacting with hand products (moisturiser, soap...) - have a look at used A2's on autotrader and 99% of them have wrecked climate control buttons.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now awaiting a call from local dealer when completely new unit will be fitted.Took more effort than I'd like, but we got there.
I've now explained to the kids and my wife that they shouldn't use the buttons on the new unit.
Seems ridiculous, but I can't be bothered going through this again.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Never ever seen that problem in the 2.5 years that I have been selling Captur's and Clio's, it looks like something reacting with the coating as it is clearly flaking off as opposed to having been scratched off.
Not saying it is, but as a first look it would be easy to assume it was something corrosivethat had been in contact with the buttons as opposed to poor manufacture.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Looking at the photos it looks to me like whatever is causing this problem is bubbling up from underneath, not the other way. The paint has not "key'd" with plastic buttons. I think bol d'or is right

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

We've recently purchased a '13 plate Captur and have the same issue with the button coating. Has anyone had a satisfactory outcome from Renault regarding this?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The dealer tried to put me off, saying it must have been something on our fingers!!!I sent photos to Renault customer services on twitter.

They then phoned me and arranged it all with the dealer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had exactly the same thing. The volume buttons at the top of the unit started bubbling and the black coating came off. I took it in and someone had a look then they ordered a replacement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have exactly the same problem and I put the car into Renault to get the medianav unit replaced and they have refused to do this under warranty. I even showed the garage this thread and they still refuse. Who did you guys contact in Renault to get this fixed?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts