Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is one modification that I'd like Renault to make and that's to add a USB connection inside the dash top storage. Seems an ideal place to keep an iPod or MP3 player with no cables dangling over the dashboard.

For sure connecting by Bluetooth would be possible but (a) I am one of those folks who use phones as phones and not as small computers and (b) I've never heard music sound anything other than tinny over Bluetooth connections.

So, does the MediaNav have connections on the back that would do the job? I've run a few searches and not found a single item on the technical side of this unit. One answer would be to take it out and have a look I guess but I am loath to do that at the moment.

·
Registered
203 Posts
No point Martin as the sound from the medianav even if you use your phone thru bluetooth whether you like it or not..is really rather good..also a micro usb stick with your music on is the way to go..give it a go.. you'll love it..it also so convenient..you could have your whole music library at your fingertips..& looking good if you add the album art..you wont get that with your ipod.
meterman_56

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got my whole music library on my iPhone, and all the artwork shows on my medianav, I don't understand how that would be any different from a USB??

·
Super Moderator
2,636 Posts
What the Captur MediaNav system really needs is a cassette player.
At least with the 3.5mm input jack, there is hope for us oldies !

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have my entire music collection and hundreds of hours of audiobooks on the iPod. I just don't like the cable sticking out of the front of the unit, any more than I like a prosthesis of a USB stick hanging out of it.

There are many technical reasons why Bluetooth audio quality is poor but basically it will always be 'tinny'.

And, like someone else said, a USB port in the storage box will double as a charger.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I cant understand why the dearer capturs do not give you the opportunity to have a cd player.not everyone is up with this ipod usb stuff.bad on their part I think.

·
Registered
921 Posts
it's moving forward with technology

Most music now is allegedly being downloaded via the internet

And being stored on phones or computers

I like to see the art work on covers and something tangible Mmm e

But we have to move with the times I guess

·
Registered
39 Posts
MartynSalisbury said:
There are many technical reasons why Bluetooth audio quality is poor but basically it will always be 'tinny'.
That's nothing to do with Bluetooth per se, as it's just a protocol for wireless data transmission. What is relevant is how the data is encoded and decoded, and how good the speakers / headphones / whatever are.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Meterman. I agree, I have a Kingston 8Gb micro usb and it's almost invisible and holds an immense amount of music. How do you apply the album art? All my music is mp3 downloads from You Tube.

·
Registered
921 Posts
my USB stick is silver and fits really well within the dashboard. Colour coordination

Even my son thought it looked cool

He's had usb in his car for around 5 years

And it is so good to see the art work on the screen as well

Lyn

·
Super Moderator
2,636 Posts
hicky said:
I cant understand why the dearer capturs do not give you the opportunity to have a cd player.not everyone is up with this ipod usb stuff.bad on their part I think.
I can't understand why no car manufacturer offers a cassette player. Don't they realise that there are still millions of us oldies driving around who don't have any music or spoken entertainment stuff in digital form on USB sticks etc.
Oh, wait, it's probably cost-cutting that's to blame.
Whatever happened to "the customer is always right" ?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Ivor E
Nearly all music now is on CD but mostly downloads
No one makes Cassettes anymore
There are fewer CD purchases
Its all over the internet in some form or other
Frustrating I know but we have to keep up with the new way things are being produced or lose out
The youngsters 4 and 5 year olds use tablets and those sort of things when they get to drive who knows what will be around

Have you seen the new item just launched called the GLASS

Lyn

·
Registered
212 Posts
So now I cant use cd in my captur do I have to pay again for the download version.
Before you shout argh dummie just copy it to usb.
Not all cds can be copied, there is the small matter of DRM encoding in newer media that precludes doing that.
Sorry DRM digital rights management.

So best of both worlds would include a cd player.
Can always use a small portable player and the 3.5mm jack point I suppose.

Now where did I put my Sony Walkman, oh yes in the bin with other old tech.

Well micro usb it is then, and some snazzy DRM cracking software then.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have my music on a Sandisk ultra 16gb mini usb (4000 songs) £7.99 Amazon and it is brilliant,it is very small and hardly sticks out from the unit,can highly recommend.

Can anyone remember 8 track cassettes,now they where the boys,music played endessly without having to rewind,the worst part with ordinary cassettes was when the tape got stuck inside the player,especially on damp mornings,I ruined many cassettes trying to pull miles of mangled up tape out ˜‚˜‚˜‚ Edited by: alans27

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I've got the sandisk 16gb for the very rare occasion that I listen to anything other than radio 4 (I know, sad git) Couldn't afford an 8 track on apprentice wages. My first car cost me £8 and it was literally falling to bits. You could see the road through the holes in the footwell and I had to put gear oil in the engine to stop it knocking. But I loved that old wreck

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi grumpy

"You could see the road through the holes in the footwell"

Yeah,I remember my cars like that ˜ƒ˜ƒ ,we just referred to the holes as ventilation holes to alleviate sweaty feet ˜¥

·
Registered
212 Posts
Oh sweet sweet 8 track where have you gone.

Huge things but so cute.

Ah rose tinted specs still on.

Ventilation holes, I remember them fondly rather than fix them used to throw a bit old roofing felt down and sling car mat over.

If I can't see them then must not be there mentality.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts