Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Seen a few posts about average mpg with the Diesel engine but can anyone give me an idea of realistic mpg in the 0.9 petrol. I currently have a fiat 500 twin air which shows figures of approx 70 mpg official but actually gives approx 44! Just wondered if my new capture will get anywhere near the promised 56

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Georgiegirl, from what I have seen on the forum, you'll be hard pressed to get more than 44mpg in the 0.9...I have the 120 and get just over the 40mpg on good runs.
It depends on a lot of factors...your driving style, the type of driving you do, and the types of roads you're on...but the little engine has to use the turbo quite a bit, and it seems she gets thirsty then.... Have a read on the topic as there are a lot of posts..

Edited by: Ythsie

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Georgiegirl, I'm sure you'll still return a good figure. You just need to consider when to use the Eco button. Have a read on that topic as there are a lot of good tips there for 0.9 owners..
Most importantly...enjoy the car!!...You'll still get those envious looks from others!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
It depends a lot on where you drive, around town I'm getting between 32 and 35 mpg. Currently driven about 500 miles. You'll be hard pressed to get more than that in stop start traffic and short drives. But on longer runs 40+ is easily done. Highest i've managed was 48mpg on a long m25 run. Cruise control helps a lot.

·
Registered
45 Posts
georgiegirl, I have had my 90tce since Dec3rd.Ive done about 360 mls when I was picking mine up I spoke to a friend of mine who works at Renault in used car sales. He did tell me I would only get around 30 mpg.I was a little bit taken aback having read the figures before I ordered mine.However ive only used mine on short hops about 12 mls here and there, . when I first read the mpg it showed 21.8 , [don't panic] its now reading 34.9 so im hoping ill get around the 40mpg mark,I previously had a megane cabriolet1.5 diesel that gave me around 44 doing the same trips, so im a little happier. This is the only complaint so enjoy yours ,im sure you will. Malcaptur.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
My advice Georgiegirl is..get used to it and enjoy it...try out various things when you drive...and don't start worrying about fuel figures!

Most members started worrying at the beginning, but as they discovered the car's potential, they have begun to get improved figures..All I say is ENJOY it!!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Most of my driving (90TCe) has been around town and I have been getting mid thirty's out of it consistently since I collected it........on a run on a motorway cruise it will easily beat your old cars 44!!
When you factor in the increased size of car from your Fiat 500 to the Captur......the Captur will do you proud as per mpg!!
My Captur is saving me £40.00 a week in fuel costs over my old car......not to be sniffed at!!I have to be pleased with that kind of saving!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the advice guys. You're right T C Eddy I should factor in the increased weight/size from my fiat - that's one of the reasons I'm changing cars!! Everyone seems to love their Captur so looking forward to picking mine up in march
Edited by: Georgiegirl

·
Registered
72 Posts
The problem isn't the cars but the economy tests - in the old days cars were tested at 56mph and 75mph which consumers didn't like as it wasn't representative of their driving style; however, they did allow a fair comparison of cars so yes, you may never get 45mpg at 56mph but if three cars you were looking at were spread over 4mpg that spread would be typical in normal driving. Since the introduction of urban, extra urban and combined tests which are purely calculated in laboratory conditions figures have become increasingly unrealistic, an acceleration of which is the current Europe-wide taxation based upon CO2 emissions (CO2 and economy are intrinsically linked as the CO2 is a measure of gases coming out the exhaust as a result of combustion); manufacturers know that a low consumption car will have low CO2 figures and therefore taxation; the EU tests hold little relevance for modern cars as they tend to allow over-use of stop-start in the urban stats and light throttle opening which rarely get turbo's blowing which is why modern 'tiddler' downsizing engines rarely act as well as they are expected too. A guy I know works in a Renault dealer and had a Clio 1.4 16v company car, replaced with the then-new 1.2tce engine, supposedly the performance of a 1.6 and economy of a 1.4; over a number of months the 1.4 got about 38mpg, the 1.2tce 35mpg...

The problem is this leads to customer discontent as you end up with people believing 60mpg is possible from a small petrol engine; it is, technically, but if only if you use the accelerator like an unexploded bomb. Diesels are the same but people feel happier that they still get mid 50's despite the promise of 80mpg; I own one of the first 'economy' cars (a 2005 Audi A2 1.4TDi) which has 119g/km of CO2, engineered at a time where supermini's would regularly achieve 50% higher than that figure - truth is though I get 55mpg and even the hyper-milers who own A2's 'only' achieve 70mpg - according to the tests, 'extra urban' is a shade over 80mpg...

I've no doubt that in my hands a 0.9tce would get late 30's perhaps 40mpg which doing 8kpa is fine; if I wanted better economy I'd go for boat-fuel and suffer the tuneless engines return for better economy.Edited by: Frank Bullitt

·
Registered
588 Posts
getting around 33-35mpg Georgiegirlwhich doesnt sound much but it matches the 1.5 turbo diesel i had so im happy... saving quite a bit on the fuel costs and not having to worry about only doing short trips in the diesel.

·
Registered
116 Posts
From the other end of the spectrum - we have been doing lots of short journeys, lots of stop / start etc, haven't had the eco mode on, nor driving economically, and I am averaging 36.2. I can't get it any lower than that at the moment.
When I have really tried, soft foot, Eco on, light load, late 40's, early 50's

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the posts everyone. Can't justify the extra cost of the diesel with the mileage I do. Mid 30's sounds like the average and that's not bad considering how much bigger the captur is and how much lower my fiat is from the official figures they quote for the twin air! Slightly higher fuel bill isn't much to complain about!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey! My MPG: 33,6. Mileage: around 1500 miles, half in the city, half outside. I use all the time the ECO button and START/STOP button. My dealer told me that the best MPG you get only after 10000 miles, so I'm not yet worrying. Plus, here in Romania these days is winter and cold. More important, the R-LINK ECO DRIVE tells me that I'm driving very well: 88/100, so I guess the MPG in right for now.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Black5gram, Welcome to the forum!!

Which engine size do you have? I am still to see how the car will perform on snowy roads and in cold conditions as the weather here in Poland has been very mild so far this winter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey, Ythsie. I have the 0.9 petrol, expression with R-Link, blue marine fume.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts