Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to day fitted a pair of front mud flaps, the part number I fitted was 8201212479 these fitted with no cutting required but the instructions give you measurements of where to drill the fixing holes, I found these to be incorrect, so I offered up the flap to the car and drilled the fixing holes where I thought they should be this worked fine, I also fitted a pair of front door sill guards, very pleased with result.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Ajcaller welcome....the mudflaps are great for the front and prevent the build up of stones within the door.
Still trying to get the rear mudflaps as I have seen them fitted and they don't look too bad!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Have been talking to Renault re mudflaps & gunge under door & the Customer Support Manager seemed keen to liaise with the local dealer to do something about it. She is offering mudflaps.

My wife is unsure how they will look & won't have them fitted if they spoil the look.

My concern is: When you drill the holes to fit them are you drilling into metal or plastic. I really don't want to be setting up potential rust problems by drilling into metal.

Mike Pitt

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
They look fine on the front and are not at all noticeable ....They do their job and prevent the kick up you get from the front wheels...as to how they're fixed on it's difficukt for me to tell as I wasn't there at the time, and obviously you can see that they are fitted through the inner rubber/plastic cover... but I would have to suggest that I would imagine it needs to be attached to metal to withstand the ravages of winter snow etc..
They will prevent rusting if they do their job I feel!!
I have given up on the rear ones as they really affect the kick up to the rear bumper and arches...and I suspect would look a bit odd IF you could get them fitted!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi
They only fix in to the plastic, I have them fitted to the front of my captur and they do work well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Post copied & pasted from posts under the topic of Washing in the hope that it finds someone who can tell me how the flaps should be fitted. History of this is Renault Cust Svce very helpful & agreed to provide mud flaps free: READ ON!!

More progress re our free mud flap fitting.

Got a call from my local Renault accredited repairer. Mud flaps ready for fitting courtesy of Renault Cust Service. This seemed good but I was a bit concerned as I had asked for the work to be done by the Main Dealer who I bought the car from who I believed would have more Captur expertise.

Reluctantly took car to Repairer as they assured me they were capable of doing the job properly.

How gullible was I?

Job done while I waited & I took it home & had a look: one flap fitted with 3 screws other fitted with 4 screws: some with washers others not!!!!

Took it back: they fitted a 4th screw to one side & tidied up washers/screw head covers. Took it home & inspected in more detail. The 4 screws on each side are in different places. So: is one flap fitted incorrectly or both???!!!

What a disaster; not just for us; but for Renault Cust Service who had done all the right things. Cust Svc have promised to investigate & I have asked for the car to be looked at by my Main Dealer& remedial action taken as appropriate. Problem is we may now have holes drilled in the inner wing protectors in the wrong places which will need plugging & sealing.

I await a call back on this.

Moral of the story be wary of claims of Captur expertise from non main dealers, even if they are Renault accredited. As far as I can see:eek:nly main dealers will have expertise of new cars especially when it is a "new model" as they have: supplied them, PDI'd them, & fitted accessories to them. I doubt the repairer concerned had ever had a Captur on the premises before.

PS: Can anyone with mud flaps tell me how many fixings are holding them on? Are they: self tapping screws; bolts with nuts; rivets; ormodel specific fittings?

Feeling pretty fed up at present!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Fitting has been inspected by Main Dealer. They were not impressed & will report back to Renault Cust Svce. Watch this space.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Took Captur into our Main Dealer this morning. Motorline of Maidstone.
A fresh set of flaps were fitted. They fit much better than the previous ones. Whilst they were doing the job they also re-aligned the inner arch protector one side which wasn't quite right. Whether this was like it from new or had been distorted by the previous Renault Approved fitter who knows?
It was noticeable that the Main Dealer removed the wheels to get at the job properly whereas previously the job was done with wheels in place.
Again; lesson learned: Always take your new Captur to a Renault Main Dealer NOT a Renault Approved Repairer!!!!

·
Super Moderator
2,372 Posts
ajcaller said:
I have to day fitted a pair of front mud flaps, the part number I fitted was 8201212479 these fitted with no cutting required but the instructions give you measurements of where to drill the fixing holes, I found these to be incorrect, so I offered up the flap to the car and drilled the fixing holes where I thought they should be this worked fine, I also fitted a pair of front door sill guards, very pleased with result.
That's the part number for Renault's "universal" flaps, and I fitted a set today to the front of my Captur. I drilled the holes in one flap as per the recommendadtions, then held the flaps back-to-back to drill holes in the other one in identical positions.
As you say, they're not quite right - and you do need to trim some of the flap away and adjust a couple of the hole positions.
Did the driver's side first - OK no issues but after fitting the passenger's side I noticed that the flaps are not fitted identically and the passenger side one is at a bit of an angle and may not stop all the mud etc from hitting the door bottom.
I didn't have time to remove the wheels to fit the inermost screws so I've used "No Nails" double-sided outdoor tape for the time being, and it will be interesting to see how well it lasts.
I'm not sure about fitting rear flaps yet.
thepittstop said:
Can anyone with mud flaps tell me how many fixings
are holding them on? Are they: self tapping screws; bolts with nuts;
rivets; ormodel specific fittings?
The part number ajcaller gave is for universal fits-all-Renault flaps and the poor instructions give an outline of the process to trim them, and where to drill holes for various models.
Each flap is retained by 4 self-tapping screws with Torx T20 heads, no washers or other clips.
On the Captur, you only drill into plastic to fix them to the car - 3 screws go into the wheelarch protection lip, and 1 into the lower part of the wheelarch liner (you need to remove the front wheels to do this, or use tape as I have done for now; the other 3 holes can be drilled by placing the steering onto full lock).
For the rear of the Captur, you need to cut the flaps differently and the same fixing process applies but you will almost certainly need to remove the wheels to drill any of the holes.
The flaps are surprisingly light and thin, and cut easily with household scissors. My cordless drill had no trouble in making the fixing holes (2mm drill bit recommended)

Edited by: IvorETower

·
Super Moderator
2,372 Posts
For anyone interested, I'm about to post a new thread in the "Gallery" with photos

EDIT - new thread now posted, and you don't need to remove the wheels at all to fit the front mudflaps. The double-sided tape had lost almost all of its grip after a week so I was pleased/relieved to find that I could fit the innermost fixing screw on both sides without having to jack the car up or remove the wheels.
If I go ahead with the rear flaps, that will be a different story though !
Edited by: IvorETower

·
Registered
863 Posts
since I fitted front guards my seals have been 95% clean .best thing I have done did not realise how much cr#p built up in the bottom of the front doors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just had a look at the bill £71.00 in all and that's giving the car a look over. Labour and vat are the big points.It save me pulling the wheels off.

·
Registered
863 Posts
did not take wheels of when fitting the front ones just turned full lock on both wheels and self tapped into plastic.dont know about back thou.???

1 - 20 of 21 Posts