Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am brand new to this forum and really impressed by what I have read so far. I wonder if someone can help. I've copied 20 or so CDs to a USB stick in MP3 format but my Captur says only 'no multi media files found' and the USB icon remains greyed out. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Welcome Ken

Thats strange,shouldn't have a problem reading mp3's. Have you double checked the files transferred successfully onto the usb and that they play on your pc without any problems?

You might also want to try reformatting your usb stick as I think I read somewhere the captur only reads a FAT32 file system. Might be having trouble reading the data if the file system is different.

If you plug the usb into your pc, go to 'my computer' and right click the usb drive it should bring up a 'format' option. Then select the FAT32 option, hopefully that will help! Also bear in mind the songs on your usb will be deleted in the process.Edited by: Cj86

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks for your very speedy and helpful reply. I have re-formatted the USB stick and recopied the music. It plays fine on my computer but still doesn't work in the Captur. I'd be grateful for any other suggestions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you have Media Nav or R-Link system ?I had a similar problem (with Media Nav) and the solution was to remove the system attribute from the music folders.

1. Open a command prompt (in Windows: Start Menu->Search->CMD)
2. Go to USB drive (CD D:) (USB Drive letter)
3. type the following line:
<b id="docs-internal-guid-28cd675f-4c59-53dd-6f98-14c471e4c188">for /d %f in (*) do attrib -s "%f" <b id="docs-internal-guid-28cd675f-4c59-53dd-6f98-14c471e4c188">[/B]<b id="docs-internal-guid-28cd675f-4c59-53dd-6f98-14c471e4c188">attrib /s /d[/B]

[/B]
wish you luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the R-link system. Thanks for the suggestion. I have just tried it but still get the same message.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Use a pc programme (many are free) to change your mp3s (are you sure they are mp3s) to say wma files then redo them to mp3s. Mediamonkey is quite useful to sus out details of thetracks and album. We have medianav and have had no problems with the usb stick (Integral). Do you need any more details?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks Cj86 and Tyrfelin for your suggestions. Yes, I have an SD card and that works in the Captur. There is however a major problem because the Navigation system no longer works when I remove the Renault R-link SD card! I also have a 24 year-old Citroen C15 van in which I fitted last year the cheapest radio I could find. Both the SD card and the USB stick work perfectly in the van!I have tried converting a few files with Media Monkey but that has so far proved unsuccessful. I have also been in touch by phone with the R-link helpline in Paris. They assure me the system is compatible with mp3, WMA, MPEG-1, MPEG-4, OGG Vorbis and various other formats that mean nothing to me. They have asked by email for all the reference numbers of my R-link system and I am clinging to a vague hope that they might just come back to me with a suggested software update.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Having found a very old USB stick in my desk drawer, with a total capacity of 64 Mb, I copied a few track on to it. To my utter astonishment, it plays perfectly in the Captur! Why won't that happen with a brand new 8 Gb stick?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
New car old stick? A fiver for a great (small and subtle) usb woykd be welcomed by your new Captur (and she'll appreciate it!)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks BlueMeanie. I have already tried reformatting the USB stick, as suggested by another forum member a couple of days ago, but I might do it again later, more out of curiosity than any real hope that it will achieve anything! The system is definitely FAT 32 and the files are definitely mp3, and the stick works everywhere except in the Captur!I have just been out to buy another 8 Gb stick and synched it with my music files. It is working perfectly in the car! So, in one sense it is problem solved, but in another I am left baffled as to why the Captur can find nothing on the original stick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Tyrefelin. Thanks for your message, which came in while I was replying to BlueMeanie! As you will see, I have solved the problem by buying another USB stick. However, the original stick was also brand new and I still don't understand why it works perfectly on the bottom-of-the-range radio in my battered old van but not in the all-singing, all-dancing R-link!

·
Registered
260 Posts
It can be a bit of a minefield with usb sticks, so many different makes there's bound to be conflicts somewhere. As a word of warning to everyone don't be tempted by usb's on ebay with huge capacities. As they're just 8 or 16gig sticks with a forged capacity. They may show 256gb of space or whatever on screen when they can only physically hold 8 or 16.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is a great forum for helpful ideas! Many thanks for the latest comments. R-link claims that it can handle up to 32Gb on a USB stick, but 8Gb looks to be much more than I'll be needing. Well, maybe I'll add just two or three more CDs to my current selection...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Phew! An IT-savvy neighbour has just explained to me why I was having the problems discussed in the past few days. He pointed out that my original stick - helpfully stamped '8Gb USB Stick' on the body - actually has the capacity to add a micro SD card and substantially increase its memory. When I connect it to my computer (via Drive J:) it automatically creates two new drives: K (for the micro SD card, which I don't have) and L (for my music). The computer easily locates Drive L but the Captur sees Drive K with nothing on it and refuses to look any further. So, my music was there all the time but R-link couldn't detect it because of the blank Drive K! Many thanks again to everyone who has suggested possible solutions to my problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi I've just bought a renault Dynomigue 2013 but am having trouble with my music?????? when i put my usb stick into sat nav its coming up saying "Not supported" how can i fix this, I've tried the same usb stick in my friends car "not a result" and it works fine????? very anoyoing grrrrrr Please some one help thanks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts