Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had my captur now for a month, really love the car, but am bitterly disappointed with the mpg. My previous car clio diesel was doing 64 mpg, but the captur only doing 40 mpg. How do renault get their mpg figures. Hope mpg gets better!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my captur is the 90tce petrol engine I dont push the car yet and drive gently. using the eco button to try and save petrol

·
Registered
824 Posts
I have the 90Tce too Bampas your quoted mpg is about right for mostly around town driving!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks, at least i know now there is no major problem, just hope the mpg improves over time.

·
Registered
824 Posts
To me after my last car only doing 19mpg tops the Captur is superb for me at 40 plus mpg..... I would expect it to improve a little bit as the engine wears in last time I looked at mine is showed 42.6mpg that has been with very little motorway driving nearly all around town so far!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the 1.2 petrol auto version, and I am struggling to do 40mpg. But I think it is worth it. the ECO mode makes little difference.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Aitchv, I'm surprised ypu say that, because my partner drives in ECO mode nearly all the time in town situations and honestly it lowers the consumption to the 40ish mark...but with ECO off around the 36/37 mark...greatly improving acceleration and response...but I'm happy with that result!!

·
Registered
924 Posts
The thing about the ECO mode is NOT to fight it. Yes, when it is applied it does make the car feel though you are towing a large caravan, but in a way that is the point. The ECO mode is trying to prevent you from accelerating too hard. So go with the flow and ease off the right foot. However, acceleration is only half the story. Braking also consumes MPG, so anticipate. Look well ahead, not on dipped eye-sight. Figure out what the person in the car that is four cars ahead of you doing and ease the throttle first, and use the brakes as a last resort. That way one can up the MPG. 
Finally, The ECO mode does not only work with fuel flow control. It actually eases off the climate control. The A/C consumes MPG, as does having the window open. Though in this weather I don't think there are many open windows.

PS. I am doing 42 MPG in my Tce120EDC, which is not great I admit, Ythsie's partner is doing better, but it is early days yet, the engine is still stiff. However, my captur can shift, and I have to remember to keep the revs below 3500 until it is run in.

Edited by: crossbow

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Crossbow, I agree with you entirely...although we never bought the car to save fuel..that was not a priority..We wanted something spacious but small for our needs..a car that gave us comfort..my partner's first automatic...which she absolutely adores(!) and the bonus is that it uses about the same as her old Pug 207SV, a 1.1 litre...so boxes ticked...fingers crossed on reliability...and enjoyment factor very high!!

·
Registered
335 Posts
We all have different priorities when choosing a car. Mine were 5 doors, looks, drive then fuel, all close and for me, the captur fitted the bill.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys for your comments, feel better now as i know its not the car thats at fault. Love the car otherwise.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
To be honest we thought about the petrol too but our sales manager did some maths on the Renault quoted official figures and he worked out that we'd be better off with the (more expensive) diesel engine which we then chose. Plus we live in a Welsh valley with lots of hills for our journeys which would have made the 90 petrol engine even more expensive to run. But you have to appreciate the extra cost to buy the diesel to begin with! We are averaging 58 mpg at present (car 4 weeks old).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi, i also live in wales, in the swansea valley. I did think of having the diesel, but the salesman said it was £1000 more and £1000 was a lot of fuel, which was true. Any way now i know that its not a fault with the car i feel better. My car is also 4 weeks old done 700 miles so hope it improves somewhat. How renault got its figures from i would like to know, as they seem to be way out.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
They didn't put it through its paces in Wales or Scotland then.....!!?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Renault, like all manufacturers, are compelled by the EU to use figures obtained from official laboratory tests which are extremely fictitious. All that can be gleaned from these figures is that Car A is more or less economical than Car B.

I have had my TCe 90 for three weeks and covered 1,000 miles and the average mpg, according to the trip computer is 41.7 to 48.2.

This is the first petrol engine I have had for many years so I expected less mpg but I seem to have a 40-litre tank and this gives a range of only about 400 miles or so, I'm used to a range of 700+!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
They didnt put the Captur through its paces here in Wales but this is true of all manufacturers! Overall the Captur is good - we had a Clio 1.2 tce back a few cars ago but we only averaged about 40 mpg with it. Remember that the Captur is much bigger than that (previous) Clio 3 and Renault have managed to keep the weight of the Captur the same as that Clio! I also have to add that the Captur is superbly made - great fit of all body panels and doors. I think this (our 6th) is the best Renault we've ever had.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts