Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased a 2016 Captur and the Media Nav is v1 with the Windows CE OS. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the model/part number of the units that have v2 (Android OS). I have been looking for a 2nd hand unit to replace mine to get Carplay.

I might look into the aftermarket units from china but the fact the USB wiring is all at the back which will mean running a usb cable behind the dash is worrying me. Has anybody fitting these types of devices and can show photos of how the USB wiring works on them?

·
Registered
455 Posts
You would be better off with an Android aftermarket unit for functionality and satnav. When fitting it all you need to do is attach a USB (M/F) extension lead. The female end can be routed anywhere into the cabin from under the dash. Or you could fit a flush mounted dashboard panel USB connector if you wanted to be really smart.

If you go for the aftermarket unit, make sure it will fit. Seems obvious but statements from the manufacturer to this effect are not always correct. It's a double din facia but only single din fitting behind, if this makes sense. Some chinese units require a new facia plate to accommodate this but if you want to keep the original facia and housing mounts there isn't a lot of space behind the existing unit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You would be better off with an Android aftermarket unit for functionality and satnav. When fitting it all you need to do is attach a USB (M/F) extension lead. The female end can be routed anywhere into the cabin from under the dash. Or you could fit a flush mounted dashboard panel USB connector if you wanted to be really smart.

If you go for the aftermarket unit, make sure it will fit. Seems obvious but statements from the manufacturer to this effect are not always correct. It's a double din facia but only single din fitting behind, if this makes sense. Some chinese units require a new facia plate to accommodate this but if you want to keep the original facia and housing mounts there isn't a lot of space behind the existing unit.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll take a look at the aftermarket ones and see what I think. I've got a mechanic friend who'll help with any issues I might have :p

·
Registered
455 Posts
Just make sure there is enough room to fit the unit. I had my fingers burnt, there isn't much room behind the lower part of the screen. Radio and GPS antennae can be reused but you will probably need a couple of adaptors. Wifi is an additional feature - but you can stick the provided antenna under the dash. Not sure about DAB as it doesn't exist where I live. You might need to reroute a mike, and also consider the reversing camera options. There is a lot of wiring to think about. Make sure that the correct adaptors are provided. I repeat, where manufacturers say it is suitable for a particular model, they mean that they have included all the wiring adaptors etc. Physical space is another matter. This is my 2017 Captur, look at the inner housing

and this replacement unit would not fit

simply because of the extra depth at the lower half. I could have cut away the inner plastic housing, or rebuilt it, but that wasn't what I signed up for when I bought the unit which was listed as Captur compatible.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts