Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I
wished I had found this forum before I ordered a Dynamique S Medianav due late
March, items like the sat nav and arm rest would have given me more bargaining power.
Just a warning to anyone placing a order, just been notified that I do not get free
servicing on interest free credit option, not very professional after the order
was placed.Colin

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sorry Colin, but you need to read the brochure. It's states that very clearly on the inside back cover of the brochure where it outlines the warranty, road side cover etc.

We too have gone for the interest free option and were well aware that 4 years servicing costs an additional £299 but have paid the money quite happily in the knowledge that it's still less than the interest we would have paid on a PCP.

What isn't so clear perhaps is that 4 years servicing equates to only 2 services since we were told that the car has 2 year service intervals. Still, at £150 per service guaranteed it's not a bad deal.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes, the 4th year warranty and roadside cover along withservicing can be bought for £299 - I suspect this can beadded to the salebefore the car is handed over.

Either way it's still fantastic VFM.

I'm surprised that there are only two services, normally these deals include an annual service - I for one would still pay for an oil change at 12 and 36 months, long service intervals only benefit fleet running costs.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Not quite right Frank. The 4th year warranty is part of the standard deal regardless. You are buying the servicing pack for £299.

Can understand your comments about the 2 year intervals but this is now driven by the engine oil life. This makes it imperative that the correct long life oil is used when serviced. (I am a retired oil company, and specifically lube oil, employee so know my stuff in that area if you follow me)

My wife's Audi that we are trading in has 35000 miles on the clock, is 5.5 years old, and has had only 2 services in that time. Has never missed a beat and runs like clockwork.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Perusal said:
My wife's Audi that we are trading in has 35000 miles on the clock, is 5.5 years old, and has had only 2 services in that time. Has never missed a beat and runs like clockwork.

My A2 1.4TDI was on VSI (Variable Service Intervals), first service at 18 months and 21K, second service at another 20 months and 23K - however, there is plenty of evidence from the people I know in the VAG community that a side effect of VSI is premature camshaft wear - now, that is't a problem in 5.5 years and 35K (see my comment about keeping prices low for fleet costs) but does become an issue around 120-170K when a new bottom-end is required; cars on Fixed servicing (10K/ 12 months) don't suffer this so my car now get's an annual service (8-9K) and hopefully I won't have an issue with the camshaft in 3-8 years time...

With hindsight, I should have just put it straight on fixed servicing and get it done every 12 months/ 10K but I suspect the two 'missed' services at Audi would cost more than a replacement camshaft anyway...! Oil technology is fantastic of course, but I don't for a moment think having oil in the sump of a car for 18K and 2 years, for example, is remotely A Good Thing.

You're right about the 4th year warranty, that's included irrespective.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Frank Bullitt said:
With hindsight, I should have just put it straight on fixed servicing and get it done every 12 months/ 10K but I suspect the two 'missed' services at Audi would cost more than a replacement camshaft anyway...!  Oil technology is fantastic of course, but I don't for a moment think having oil in the sump of a car for 18K and 2 years, for example, is remotely A Good thing
I can 100% up understand where you are coming from but having worked in an R&D centre for 11 years where we were developing lube oils in conjunction with all the major oil companies you would be amazed at how much "safety margin" is built into today's lubricants. I have seen the test results from thousands of miles/hours of usage and have the confidence in these long life oils provided oil levels etc are maintained and the correct grade and spec of oil is used.

Mind you, I also agree about the peace of mind that comes from having the annual oil change/service schedule applied. I also wondered given the nature of my wife's usage of the car whether we shouldn't have adopted this in preference but that's pretty much irrelevant now.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Good thread! You might have an opinion on ZX1 lube, which I think is an excellent product. I realise that there are many simular products with pluses and minuses...but this particular product I have used for over over 15 odd years in a number of cars..old and new!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yes, I had seen your thread on ZX1 and must admit this is the first time I ever heard of it. I did do some research and certainly, people like yourself who have used the product seem to be pleased with it. I also note that the company states very clearly that this is NOT an oil additive (which was my area of expertise amongst others) but a surface modifier.

I can see there may be some benefits from using this in an older engine but I certainly wouldn't put it into a brand new engine. It is important when running in a new engine that there is some wear that occurs as the piston rings pass up and down the walls of the engine cylinders. The cylinder walls need a degree of surface roughness to allow the lube oil to adhere to the surface so that it can form a seal between the metal surfaces of the ring and cylinder wall. If the rings cannot bed into the cylinder wall because it is too smooth then I could see whilst friction might be reduced to a degree and evidence itself though improved fuel consumption some extra lube oil might be burned, because it couldn't adhere to the cylinder properly, causing the sump level to drop. That is specific to ANY surface modifier, not just ZX1.

I have never been convinced by any additional additive/surface modifier except perhaps in the oldest of engines choosing instead to ensure the engine has the correct grade of oil in it and that we use branded fuels rather than supermarket fuels for the majority of the time (.....but that's another story).

I certainly wouldn't argue against ZX1, it's just something that I wouldn't use...but that's an entirely personal opinion. If your experience is positive then there is no reason why you wouldn't use it.....except in a new engine

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for your reply I
have downloaded a new brochure dated January 2014. The one I was using is dated
May 2013 which does not exclude the free servicing. I thought I just mention
this in case anyone has the old one.

Colin

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
JJulian, I'm surprised at PERUSAL'S comments..but accept his point of view.
All I can say is that the Audi S8 and Range Rover Sport have the ZX1 in them and it's made a difference..

·
Registered
209 Posts
Julian said:
Well thanks Perusal, that's certainly an interesting and learned comment ! I will definitely not be using any ZXwhatever.
My comments are not specific to ZX1. As I suggested these are personal opinions though my opinions are based upon what I saw and learned in an independent lab where we were in the business of Lubes and Fuels research and development. If you are interested go to www.lubrizol.com. I worked for these guys at their European R&D centre just outside Derby for 11 years before joining one of the major oil companies for the last 12 years of my career.

But from a commercial perspective I would just add another point. If any of these additives, whether engine cleaners, surface modifiers etc. were that revolutionary do you not think that one of the major oil companies would have bought them out by now ( as Facebook have just bought WhatsApp to add a topical point).

There are numerous of these companies and many of them have happy customers e.g. Ythsie , otherwise they wouldn't survive for long. You pays your money and you makes your choice as the saying goes.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts