Renault Captur Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Thought I would drop in and introduce myself. I have just brought a Captur 1.3 TCE S Edition but don't get the car until next weekend so a week of joyful anticipation to come. We had planned to order one in red and black, which had a three month plus delivery, but got talked into taking the showroom model, orange and black with all the options installed, for a discounted price and immediate availability. Our current car is a 2.0 AWD Kuga, so this is a step change for us. We had gone to look at Kadjars but the Captur surprised us and seems to tick all our boxes in a smaller package and not only did it perform well on the test drive but we fell in love with the interior and it has a full tech package that we had thought we would need to go bigger, and more expensive, to match.

My last Renault was an R21, almost 30 years ago, and my experience then was that it was a good car but a bit fragile so am hoping this will be a bit more robust and reliable.

Grateful for any tips for getting the best from the tech, or things to watch for in running the car.

·
Super Moderator
2,487 Posts
I'll be interested to see what you think of the Captur 130, as my current car is a Kuga 2.0 AWD. Wife usually drives our 2014 Captur dCi; if the new Captur had a bigger boot and an AWD version were available, I would have seriously considered changing my Kuga for one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will let you have some feedback once I have some experience with the Captur. I know I am going to miss the AWD - we do an amount of mild off-road (we have family in both West Wales and South Devon where the road/off-road boundary gets quite hazy at times) and I suspect I will need to rely on my daughter in laws Warrior for some of the more iffy drives in future. I really like my Kuga and the only reason for changing was that the PCP on it was coming to an end. I was looking for a slightly smaller replacement but was struggling to find it as everything was either much more basic in trim and kit, or very premium priced. Then we saw the new Captur - job done. I am sure I will miss the grunt of the big diesel and know I will miss my heated seats come the winter. My first frustration with the Capture is that the smart comfort pack interior precludes heated seats - I am greedy and want both.:)

·
Super Moderator
2,487 Posts
I've hardly used the heated seats on my Kuga, mind you it usually stays garaged overnight. I've just bought mine outright at the end of a 38 month zero percent PCP

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK - so I have had the car for three days and have made our first longish run in it - from our home in Wiltshire to the South Coast - and first impressions are all positive and I remain really pleased with it. Obviously I am being careful with it and am being gentle with the engine for now. How does it compare to the Kuga I had before?

The Captur is clearly a bit smaller - the Kuga comfortably seats three in the back, while I don't think you would choose to travel a distance with three in the back of the Captur. The Kuga also has a bigger boot although by less than I expected.

Clearly a !.3 petrol does not have the grunt or legs of the bigger 2.0 diesel but even when used gently it still gets away from junctions in an entirely reasonable way. I have deliberately not pushed it on the motorway but do not expect the Captur to have the overall pace of the Kuga - but perhaps that will not be a wholly bad thing as perhaps the Kuga encouraged me to drive too fast while I feel the Captur will still give a respectable cruising pace. Although I found the Kuga a good car to drive I am finding the Captur more nimble and secure on twisty country roads, and on travelling around our multiplicity of roundabouts.

Both cars seem similarly tall, with similar levels of visibility. Rear vision is perhaps slightly less good from the Captur, but I now have a reversing camera which the Kuga lacked so its actually easier to manoeuvre. The Captur is definitely quieter both with regard to engine noise and, very noticeably, with tyre noise, this despite both having similar 18" wheels. All I can say about ride is that the two cars are different. Both are good. The Captur seems to cope better with larger features (ramps, speedbumps and potholes) which it seems to glide over while the Kuga was never comfortable, feeling a little that it bumped up and down onto them. However less obvious irregularities, such as the frequent areas of poorly patched road around here, cause the Captur to get upset and jiggly while the Kuga just went over those with disdain.

I liked my Kuga and there are things I will miss (heated seats, the security of good all-wheel drive, the power of the engine) but for me the Captur offers a perfectly good alternative package and has its own strengths in terms of noise, comfort and agility.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Captur engines are tight from new , run it in, if you don't it will burn a lot of oil,
the new 1.3 engines have a special coating and requires a higher grade engine oil.

I have been reading up on the new engine

Don’t be tempted to buy a cheap oil even for topping up.

I hope to get the new 1.3 next week, moving from the diesel captur

Just enjoy your new car

·
Registered
2 Posts
You mentioned it had all options, does that mean luxury and comfort? I'm getting mixed messages, online gurus suggested both possible, and visible on their model, brochure says not possible, configuration allows both to be selected! I would like both, can't decide if only one possible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am afraid the brochure is the right one - you have to chose between luxury and comfort. That is the reason for my minor moan about not being able to have the interior I wanted and the heated seats. We opted for comfort but if you want leather seats with heated seats and steering wheel than you need to go luxury.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, three weeks in, 600 miles driven, and I am loving the Captur more and more. Thanks to Dick Riculous for your reminder that running in needs to be taken seriously - I have been following this advice and taking things gently. The handbook suggests that the engine only needs running in for 600 miles but I will keep it gentle until 1000 at least as I expect to hang on to this car for a fair while.

Increasingly impressed with how comfortable and quiet it is, and how relaxing a drive it gives on long runs. Also finding the fuel consumption a pleasant surprise. As stated above I have been driving gently which will have helped but the displayed average of 47 mpg over the first 600 miles seems pretty good - and consumption is likely to continue to improve as the engine loosens up.

I have now (I think) got to grips with most of the tech and have generally been able to configure things as we like. One oddity (and very minor gripe) is that it seems I have to set the instrument panel to sport mode to display the rev counter - something I feel I need while trying to keep within set rev limits while running in. Other modes give a second and utterly redundant speedometer. Why can I not have the easier on the eye "my sense" display with a rev counter?? All cars seem to have these quirks but I cannot see why anyone thought this was a sensible approach.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Well I am approaching 600 miles the same as you, the new captur is the automatic edc.

I have found it a little hard to keep the revs to say 2000 rpm which I was able to do on the diesel captur

Just about to change in increments of 250rpm every 200 miles up to 1000 miles.

My mpg has been about 52, I will be gentle with it up to 1500 miles, I want a reliable none
oil burning car so gentle does it for now.

It has started to ease up a little.

Good to know you are enjoying yours

1 - 11 of 11 Posts