Renault Captur Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am new to the forum to try and see if anybody else has had the same issue as me.

Around the 20th December my 2016 Captur wouldn't start after pressing the start/stop button, you could hear the click from it trying to start but the engine wouldn't turn over.
All electronics would work such as lights, windscreen wipers, Nav media, central locking with the key card etc which would leave me believe that the battery was fine. This was confirmed when the voltage coming from the battery was checked by a friend of mine.
I called out RAC who tested the vehicle and the engineer came to the conclusion it was the Body Control Unit as he called it. He explained that because some of the light segments that make up the text on the trip message panel were missing, effectively showing an unclear message, to book it in with Renault as it was still under warranty and it could be an expensive replacement. These missing text segments were not present before this fault. I took his advice but when a different engineer came to take it the next day, it was purely a loose starter motor connection that was preventing the engine from starting although the missing text segments were still there. As the car was now able to be started and the trip messages being somewhat readable, I did not take it into Renault (regretting that decision now!)

The vehicle was being used sparingly between 20th December up until christmas but has not been used since. It was this morning after going back to work that this fault, probably linked to the trip message error above, was noticed.

The Speedometer and the trip message displays were not displaying at all. You can make out the back light of the 2 being on but no text was being displayed so I could not see my speed or any messages on the small window above the speedo. Within 10 minutes, the speedo re-appeared randomly and so did the trip message albeit this was worse than before, more missing segments, making the messages totally unreadable. It would then go off and re-appear after random intervals.

If anybody has had this exact same thing happen or similar, what is the most likely cause of this fault?

Is there something wrong with the displays or is the fault leaning more towards the control unit?

Any replies are greatly appreciated and a Happy New Year!

·
Super Moderator
3,013 Posts
Could be a loose connection, faulty display or the BCU. Suggest you contact a dealer and have it checked and repaired. If the car dates from 2016 it should be covered by the "older" 4 year warranty

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I am new to the forum to try and see if anybody else has had the same issue as me.

Around the 20th December my 2016 Captur wouldn't start after pressing the start/stop button, you could hear the click from it trying to start but the engine wouldn't turn over.
All electronics would work such as lights, windscreen wipers, Nav media, central locking with the key card etc which would leave me believe that the battery was fine. This was confirmed when the voltage coming from the battery was checked by a friend of mine.
I called out RAC who tested the vehicle and the engineer came to the conclusion it was the Body Control Unit as he called it. He explained that because some of the light segments that make up the text on the trip message panel were missing, effectively showing an unclear message, to book it in with Renault as it was still under warranty and it could be an expensive replacement. These missing text segments were not present before this fault. I took his advice but when a different engineer came to take it the next day, it was purely a loose starter motor connection that was preventing the engine from starting although the missing text segments were still there. As the car was now able to be started and the trip messages being somewhat readable, I did not take it into Renault (regretting that decision now!)

The vehicle was being used sparingly between 20th December up until christmas but has not been used since. It was this morning after going back to work that this fault, probably linked to the trip message error above, was noticed.

The Speedometer and the trip message displays were not displaying at all. You can make out the back light of the 2 being on but no text was being displayed so I could not see my speed or any messages on the small window above the speedo. Within 10 minutes, the speedo re-appeared randomly and so did the trip message albeit this was worse than before, more missing segments, making the messages totally unreadable. It would then go off and re-appear after random intervals.

If anybody has had this exact same thing happen or similar, what is the most likely cause of this fault?

Is there something wrong with the displays or is the fault leaning more towards the control unit?

Any replies are greatly appreciated and a Happy New Year!
Hi did you find out what the fault was for this issue I’m having the same problem with the captur it’s a 15 plate ?
Cheers

·
Super Moderator
3,013 Posts
^
WHich issue, the failure to start or the missing display segments?

Starting issue may be what "killed" mine a few weeks back, oil leak onto starter requiring a new one

·
Registered
2 Posts
^
WHich issue, the failure to start or the missing display segments?

Starting issue may be what "killed" mine a few weeks back, oil leak onto starter requiring a new one
Hi it’s the Missing display and digital speedometer disappearing

it’s intermittent sometimes speedometer there then missing bits before completely going again

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi did you find out what the fault was for this issue I’m having the same problem with the captur it’s a 15 plate ?
Cheers
Hi, apologies for the late reply.

Since the pandemic I haven't used my Captur (got another car). The issue is still there so I am going to get the process of having it looked into started again.

Have you had your's fixed?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts